Gamera 3 Blu Ray Subs

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Maritonic
Futurian

Gamera 3 Blu Ray Subs

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Not sure if this has a topic, or if it belongs somewhere else. If so, forgive me.

I am watching the Gamera Trilogy Blu Ray set by Mill Creek version of Gamera 3 and the subtitles are ABYSMAL. Missing in parts, laughably bad.

Am I the only one with this problem or is this a common complaint?
Let them hate, so long as they fear...
Resized Image
My Instagram for my figure edits: https://www.instagram.com/anubityde/?hl=en

goji1986
Interpol Agent

Re: Gamera 3 Blu Ray Subs

Postby goji1986 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1158&start=420

^We had a whole thread about the release here. In short, no, you, probably somehow managed to get one of the early pressings that was so bad Mill Creek issued a replacement, which also had a subtitling issue and resulted in them issuing a SECOND replacement (both free with mailed cover insert). I literally had 3 separate discs, but the third time was literally the charm.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction in progress!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Maritonic
Futurian

Postby Maritonic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 am

goji1986 wrote:http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1158&start=420

^We had a whole thread about the release here. In short, no, you, probably somehow managed to get one of the early pressings that was so bad Mill Creek issued a replacement, which also had a subtitling issue and resulted in them issuing a SECOND replacement (both free with mailed cover insert). I literally had 3 separate discs, but the third time was literally the charm.

Wow. That's insane.

I don't remember having problems with my Guardian or Legion but it's been a while since I watched them.

I assume I have to buy a new one? Or will Mill Creek still honor some sort of replacement?
Resized Image

goji1986
Interpol Agent

Postby goji1986 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:54 am

This happened way back in 2012, so I honestly can't guarantee Mill Creek would honor this still. The info on where to send it can be found in this Sci-fi Japan article:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... 3-blu-ray/

Your best bet would be to get into contact with Mill Creek directly to check first.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction in progress!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Maritonic
Futurian

Postby Maritonic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:12 am

Alright, thanks. I'll shoot them an e-mail and see where it goes.

Thanks for the help. I finally got my wife to agree to watch the damn movie last night and this is what happens haha.
Resized Image

tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby tymon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Lol yeah we were all in the same boat at first. I was so excited to finish the trilogy, but had to settle with the damn DUB...ugh...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Demiurge
Ronin

Postby Demiurge » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Didn't the third version (second and final fix) still have some issues? For all these years I've been under the impression that is the one I have, but while it's okay for the most part there are still bits of dialogue that aren't translated. If there is a "perfect" one I don't have... well that's a bummer.

gojiragetsaround
Young Farmer

Postby gojiragetsaround » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:39 am

I bought 2 and both had a problem with the subs. They were from Amazon though, so I wonder if I bought straight from Mill Creek if they would be fixed. I guess I could always watch my ADV discs

Maritonic
Futurian

Postby Maritonic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 am

They e-mailed me back saying they no longer have the license and can't help me. So I'm basically screwed. I just cannot STAND the dub of Gamera 3, especially. "THIS IS SO SCARY HUHUHUH". Ugh.
Resized Image

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Everything is resolved now, right? Is the correct version on the market? I'm thinking about purchasing a new copy and would like to avoid running into this issue again. I must have one of the early copies because the subtitles are terrible. Sadly that's the only option because mine does not have a dub.

KaijuCanuck
G-Grasper

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Yikes. I still haven’t watched mine, no idea if it’s a replacement or not.

Through smoke and fire and shot and shell,
And to the very walls of hell,
But we shall stand and we shall stay
Over the hills and far away

O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey
Over the hills and far away.

GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 am

Mill Creek's GAMERA 3's Blu-ray subs are nothing compared to the GAMERA LEGACY COLLECTION DVD... Those subs are a mess: they're out of sync, the size is so small, it's the same subscripts as the Shout! Factory subtitles.
"Just as you distrust us, then we distrust others as well. What's wrong? We're all human. As humans we are responsible for each other, we're related. Refuse us then you'll abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other." - Ichiro Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:50 pm

I bought a new copy. Thankfully the subs are synced this time. Although the entire trilogy needs a new release. Better quality video/audio and additional special features. I believe the entire Gamera series just received a 4K upgrade in Japan not too long ago. Just slap on some English subtitles and drop it in the West. Mil Creek no longer has the distribution rights. Maybe Criterion can snatch them up. At least the Heisei Trilogy.

Maritonic
Futurian

Postby Maritonic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:02 am

I always considered buying a new copy, but wasn't sure if I was just going to get screwed over and get another defective copy.
Resized Image

heiseigodzilla425
Ronin

Postby heiseigodzilla425 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 am

kamilleblu wrote:I believe the entire Gamera series just received a 4K upgrade in Japan not too long ago.

While I'm not entirely sure, I think that only the Heisei films and Brave got a 4K treatment. None of the Showa movies got 4K upgrades, so I think that even Japan is stuck with the same 1080i masters of the Showa films that Mill Creek gave us.

Joseph Goodman
Yojimbo

Postby Joseph Goodman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 am

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DAXA-5012

Note that these are remastered standard Blu-rays, not 4k UltraHD discs.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 am

Joseph Goodman wrote:http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DAXA-5012

Note that these are remastered standard Blu-rays, not 4k UltraHD discs.

That's a hefty price tag. But the special features are rather tempting. Are there any trailers or clips of the digitally restored footage?

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am

Maritonic wrote:I always considered buying a new copy, but wasn't sure if I was just going to get screwed over and get another defective copy.

If I ever buy the boxset that includes all of the Showa and Heisei films, and want to get rid of my old copy of G3, i'll keep you in mind. I've just been lazy on upgrading because the Showa films are only in 1080i resolution and don't include any of the dubs.

My copy is the second revision though, not the third. The second was fine, but still had some small issues. Nowhere near as bad as the original pressing though.
Last edited by Goji on Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Yojimbo

Postby KillCrites » Mon May 07, 2018 5:13 am

I bought the boxset with all the Showa and Heisei films around December of 2016 and the subs have a few typos here and there but they're not terrible. You can still understand everything the characters are saying.
Last edited by KillCrites on Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

"God, I love being a turtle!"

Return to “Toho Media”