Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:19 pm I can see the Shin design, from what we've seen of it anyway, being done practically with the right suit and performer... stuff like the lack of eyeholes and back seam are entirely doable. Some details like the metallic sheen to his skin might have to be digital but beyond that...

I still dig the design though, how simple and streamline it is. I haven't seen Ultraman the Next but the bulky armored look doesn't quite do it for me, as much as I can appreciate it being done practically.
How would no eyeholes be done? Also, the fully skintight look would be way too hard to do.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:06 pm
tbeasley wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:19 pm I can see the Shin design, from what we've seen of it anyway, being done practically with the right suit and performer... stuff like the lack of eyeholes and back seam are entirely doable. Some details like the metallic sheen to his skin might have to be digital but beyond that...

I still dig the design though, how simple and streamline it is. I haven't seen Ultraman the Next but the bulky armored look doesn't quite do it for me, as much as I can appreciate it being done practically.
How would no eyeholes be done? Also, the fully skintight look would be way too hard to do.

Considering Powered did it back in the early 90s...

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

After watching the trailer again, I've come to the conclusion that the models used for the MMS figures' tags can't possibly be the ones used in the film. Both of the Bandai pictures are way too brown and also, Gabora clearly has eyes in the trailers while the picture doesn't.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I just found out about a manga called Ultraman the FIRST and... if Shin Ultraman doesn't have action like this, I will be disappointed.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^^thats the one thats like a more sci-fi horror reimagining of the Ultraman universe, right? Where like Fireman is in screaming agony or something... Maybe that was just a fever dream.
Also, upon my 3,000,000,000th re-watching of Shin Godzilla, I hope Shin Ultraman can surprise as much as Shin G. I remember having a pretty good idea of what the movie was gonna be off the trailer and being blown away by how wrong I was.
It's still throwing me off that nobody's talking about how Anno isn't actually directing. I love Shinji Higuchi as an effects man and person but I've never really heard anything good about Submersion of Japan or the Attack on Titan films in terms of his actually directing actors.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 pm ^^^^thats the one thats like a more sci-fi horror reimagining of the Ultraman universe, right? Where like Fireman is in screaming agony or something... Maybe that was just a fever dream.
FIRST never had any kaiju that weren't in the original 1966 series.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I hope that between Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman....that maybe we CAN hope for more classic Kaiju re-imaginings.

I do not just want EVERY one of them to be given the "Shin" Title...I think that would get old fast and I am shocked they literally are just calling it "Shin Ultraman"...like that is just the new 'branding' for a "dark and gritty" Kaiju reboot.

But...I would love for Gamera and Daimajin to be rebooted. I've heard Kadokawa isn't in great financial shape these days, or just isn't really making many movies with good budgets...but maybe if Japan doesn't make them, someone from Hollywood might take a look and consider the potential of classic Kaiju with reboot potential that aren't 100% like Godzilla and Kong.

You could go very sci-fi and borderline superhero-esque with Gamera. Since the whole 'psychic link' angle could really play him up as an overtly heroic character, which changes the dynamic of how you make and present the film. He's never really been showcased as 'radioactive' so you can side-step a "dark" nuclear allegory like that and go for something else, and embrace a more action-oriented style.

Daimajin as an ultra-stylized period piece could be insanely cool. Imagine something that looks and feels like say...300...only you get a giant stone monster cleaning house in the last 30-50% of the movie?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I do think Gabora has to be my fav looking kaiju in a while.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:07 pm FIRST never had any kaiju that weren't in the original 1966 series.
I was thinking of Another Universe apparently. FIRST looks very interesting, the more I'm seeing of it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:07 pm FIRST never had any kaiju that weren't in the original 1966 series.
I was thinking of Another Universe apparently. FIRST looks very interesting, the more I'm seeing of it.
You mean Another Genesis? That novel looks pretty cool (especially what they did with Antlar).

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:04 am You mean Another Genesis? That novel looks pretty cool (especially what they did with Antlar).
Yeah! That's the one. Can't believe I still got it wrong :lol:

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Delayed. :( Hope the COVID situation in Japan (and everywhere ofc) gets under control ASAP.
Regarding the release of SHIN ULTRAMAN

Due to the effects of the coronavirus, SHIN ULTRAMAN will not release in summer 2021 as planned.
Our staff members are working earnestly on the production. We will keep you updated about the situation.

Details: https://t.co/8r0s5mFE8a https://t.co/JoSTIECf1G
https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/sta ... 71978?s=19
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I should have expected this... Hopefully, they can get it out before the anniversary ends.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:27 pm I should have expected this... Hopefully, they can get it out before the anniversary ends.
Hopefully by December.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Also, the Gabora shot got improved.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Looks like the color grading as a whole has been changed.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Awww that sucks. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed too far back.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:15 pm Also, the Gabora shot got improved.
Oh wow, looks beautiful! this is what I mean. A few months ago there was a big controversy about the CGI, but now it's amazing!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Darn about the delay but gives them time to clean it up... and you know... maybe connect it to Shin Godzilla
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cookson wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:57 am maybe connect it to Shin Godzilla
Nah, let's not. Shin Goji is better off as a standalone.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!