Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:01 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:55 pm Figuarts for Ultraman was revealed today and a specium ray accessory was mentioned but never shown. I'm calling it now the specium ray will be purple.
Is purple Anno's favorite color?
Maybe. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. It was cool with Shin, because after so long Godzilla got another color for his beam (other than red from G2000). Here's something wild though, and probably just my brain being overly active:

What if the movie takes place after Shin Godzilla. The SSP is formed to investigate new threats and monsters. Neronga and Gabora appear, and Ultraman appears. Ultraman is one of the "skeletons" that appeared from Godzilla's tail, and fell off: or the body was intercepted by the land of light.( Remember all that weird storyboarding about shin becoming god?). The SSP is in charge of finding it! Or something!
Anno's an uber-fan of the Ultra Series. No way he'd make Ultraman one of the skeletons.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:09 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:01 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 pm

Is purple Anno's favorite color?
Maybe. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. It was cool with Shin, because after so long Godzilla got another color for his beam (other than red from G2000). Here's something wild though, and probably just my brain being overly active:

What if the movie takes place after Shin Godzilla. The SSP is formed to investigate new threats and monsters. Neronga and Gabora appear, and Ultraman appears. Ultraman is one of the "skeletons" that appeared from Godzilla's tail, and fell off: or the body was intercepted by the land of light.( Remember all that weird storyboarding about shin becoming god?). The SSP is in charge of finding it! Or something!
Anno's an uber-fan of the Ultra Series. No way he'd make Ultraman one of the skeletons.
How is that a disservice to the series though?

It could just be a totally regular Ultraman style plot though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Every ultra member is just a skeleton from Godzillas tail, Shin Godzilla himself KOs after 13 min intervals, interesting...
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

This would be some kind of wack if this was connected to Shin Godzilla. Opening scene shows pieces of Shin Godzilla falling off and we’re all like WTF!!!

Remember Toho is attached to this film. Does it mean anything... idk. It could just be a regular old Ultraman film too
Last edited by Cookson on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Hopefully Shin Ultraman is a standalone with no connection to Shin Godzilla. And Ultraman being one of the fifth Form Godzillas fits in no way to what Ultraman is.
It's a weird but interesting idea.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

If this movie turns up being a success (and odds are it certainly will be!) you guys think we could actually get a sequel this time instead of it being stuck as a standalone? Feel like there's still some potential with other "Shin" version of kaiju like Gomora, Red King, Zetton, Eleking etc. but it seems like Nerong and Gabora are gonna be the only kaiju showing up in this movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 am If this movie turns up being a success (and odds are it certainly will be!) you guys think we could actually get a sequel this time instead of it being stuck as a standalone? Feel like there's still some potential with other "Shin" version of kaiju like Gomora, Red King, Zetton, Eleking etc. but it seems like Nerong and Gabora are gonna be the only kaiju showing up in this movie.
I don't think I can make that judgement until the movie comes out. Right now, we literally don't know anything about it other than what's shown in the trailer. Could leave a lot open for a sequel, could be very standalone.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^Beat me to it, but to add:

Tsuburaya probably has more to gain from this than Toho did from Shin Godzilla, so I think it's easy to see them offering the option of a sequel to Anno and Higuchi should Shin Ultraman be a huge hit, even regardless of how this first film concludes.

As for Anno, can anyone actually predict his next move? It's expected that the imminent Rebuild will be his last Evangelion project (although, who can say for certain), which in theory would free him up to explore probably any project he desires. One potential reason he might turn down a Ultraman sequel would be to avoid devoting himself to another series so soon after Eva.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wonder if he'd ever get dragged to do a Shin Evangelion (yes I know that's basically the Rebuilds, but like a live action film)
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 am If this movie turns up being a success (and odds are it certainly will be!) you guys think we could actually get a sequel this time instead of it being stuck as a standalone? Feel like there's still some potential with other "Shin" version of kaiju like Gomora, Red King, Zetton, Eleking etc. but it seems like Nerong and Gabora are gonna be the only kaiju showing up in this movie.
I don't think they'd show the only kaiju of the film in the first trailer. It's not like the first footage we ever saw of Shin Godzilla was his tail mutating at the end. I think we'll get Baltan and Zetton as well.

As for a sequel, maybe?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Redking!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

imposterzilla wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:21 pm Redking!
What’s your point? Did you hear he'll be in it?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:18 pm
I suppose he's hoping for Red King to appear in this movie or a sequel (if there will be one).

Considering the kaiju chosen so far and them not being the only ones I hope it's neither Zetton nor Baltan that appear in the movie. Especially Zetton has been used so often in the last years. And Baltan is like the most obvious choice.

Give Mephilas the spotlight. Him or Geronimon as the creator (and potential master) of Neronga and Gabora.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dramorg wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:38 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:18 pm
I suppose he's hoping for Red King to appear in this movie or a sequel (if there will be one).

Considering the kaiju chosen so far and them not being the only ones I hope it's neither Zetton nor Baltan that appear in the movie. Especially Zetton has been used so often in the last years. And Baltan is like the most obvious choice.

Give Mephilas the spotlight. Him or Geronimon as the creator (and potential master) of Neronga and Gabora.
Geronimon is one of the few monsters that always should have re-appeared but hasn't. Kind of like what would otherwise be a big boss or a finale monster just thrown into a random episode. Also if I recall he could talk, which makes it better for a film. Mephilas would work as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Will this movie use all CGI, or will there be practical effects, too?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:33 am Will this movie use all CGI, or will there be practical effects, too?
They used some pratical stuff for Shin Godzilla so i think they could use similar techniques here.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Yeah still pleasantly surprised they went with Neronga and Gabora. I mean, who woulda thought.

Bemular and Baltan seemed like more natural/obvious picks, or any other big-name alien/monster combo (Gomora, Mefilas, Zetton).

There's also any of the Jissoji episode monsters, since Anno is such a massive fan.

And of course there's who we all really want to see... Pigmon!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:04 am
JAGzilla wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:33 am Will this movie use all CGI, or will there be practical effects, too?
They used some pratical stuff for Shin Godzilla so i think they could use similar techniques here.
Yes, but not suits. So, I don't think we'll see any practical suitimation here either- but miniatures yes.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, that's something. I don't mind either way; the CGI in the trailer looks adequately realistic by my standards. It would be nice to see what big-budget practical effects can do for kaiju these days, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 am Well, that's something. I don't mind either way; the CGI in the trailer looks adequately realistic by my standards. It would be nice to see what big-budget practical effects can do for kaiju these days, though.
I imagine not too much different then some practical non-kaiju monster movies out there today.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.