Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Terasawa »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am Has it been confirmed or only speculated that the mural ends with Leo?
It was confirmed at the 30:18 mark in the Our Hero Ultraman! Kaiju Con-Line panel:
Keith Aiken wrote:They’re finishing the classic seven, which will be, you know, finishing up with Leo, so that will be Ultra Q through Ultraman Leo which will have the matched spines on the box sets and the steelbooks.

Return of Ultraman is meant to be the centerpiece of the mural, with three series to its left and three to its right, as Ultraman Jack is the only character facing forward.
That's what I was looking for, thanks. (And likewise to others who answered.)

I asked because I know there was at least some minor debate among fans whether Ultraman 80 would be grouped with the first seven series or not. I think there are decent arguments for and against including it as part of the spine mural, but I haven't kept up with the Mill Creek information, hence my curiosity.

It's also not quite the same scenario, but there's a ridiculous home video precedent should Mill Creek reverse course and force U80 into the mural (although it's clear now they won't). When Paramount re-released the Star Trek movies on VHS for the franchise's 25th anniversary in 1991, the sleeves were designed so the then-five films together formed a beautiful picture of the movie version of the Enterprise.

Resized Image

When the sixth and concluding film of the series (1992) was released on video, Paramount Home Video opted to give it a similar sleeve. The problem, of course, was that the mural was clearly already complete; the first five movies weren't reissued, however, meaning all six movies together formed an unbalanced image. I always hated how this looked. (Ignore the right-most film. I couldn't find a decent picture of just the first six movies.)

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

^ That does look pretty hilarious. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Movie.

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:19 pm I understand ending the mural there, as The Ultraman comes before 80, so extending the mural to it would mean having to shelve your sets out of chronological order (horrors!) !
If Mill Creek wanted the mural to include every series that shares continuity, or retroactive continuity, it would have been a shelving nightmare but they could have included 80, Mebius and I believe most or all of the most recent shows. (I still haven't watched any post-Max series other than Neo Ultra Q, although I've collected every Ultraman set that Mill Creek has released.)

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I don't know - I've been getting the steelbooks just because fancy. Hoping to only buy them once, so a little splurge to feel self indulgent is ok I think.
Course sometimes the disks are hard to get out...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I think extending the Mural for the animated series, and 80 would be great, but not a deal braker. Here's a good example.

BCI Eclipse MOTU sets originally 9 (4 for he-man & MOTU, 2 for NA, and 3 for She-Ra)

10th image added to retroactively fit in the 2002 MOTU series

To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

That 2002 MOTU was so good
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:06 pm If Mill Creek wanted the mural to include every series that shares continuity, or retroactive continuity, it would have been a shelving nightmare but they could have included 80, Mebius and I believe most or all of the most recent shows. (I still haven't watched any post-Max series other than Neo Ultra Q, although I've collected every Ultraman set that Mill Creek has released.)
You'd probably need to arrange the set in five or six dimensions to make every connection work. :)
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:23 am
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:06 pm If Mill Creek wanted the mural to include every series that shares continuity, or retroactive continuity, it would have been a shelving nightmare but they could have included 80, Mebius and I believe most or all of the most recent shows. (I still haven't watched any post-Max series other than Neo Ultra Q, although I've collected every Ultraman set that Mill Creek has released.)
You'd probably need to arrange the set in five or six dimensions to make every connection work. :)
IKEA might sell some five-dimensional shelves; not sure about six and beyond.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Non-Euclidean furniture?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Saturndusk wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 am That 2002 MOTU was so good
Truth, absolute Truth
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

For anyone who doesn't own these yet, Amazon is currently offering several of Mill Creek's Ultra releases at discounts from their usual prices.

Ultra Q - Standard Edition - $13.99
Ultra Q - Steelbook Edition - $17.26

UltraSeven - Standard Edition - $13.99

Return of Ultraman - Standard Edition - $13.99

Ultraman Ace - Standard Edition - $13.99

Ultraman Ginga - 2 Series & Movie & Ultra Fight Victory - $16.99

Ultraman X - Series & Movie - $13.99

Ultraman Orb: The Origin Saga - Miniseries & Ultra Fight Orb - $6.99

Ultraman Geed - Series & Movie - $13.99
Last edited by StreamOfKaijuness on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:03 am For anyone who doesn't own these yet, Amazon is currently offering several of Mill Creek's Ultra releases at discounts from their usual prices.
Thanks for the heads up!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Wonder if they'll be continuing the SteelBooks after Leo.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^I know the spine mural/matching packaging ends with Leo... but I don't know about steelbooks? Honestly, I wouldn't count out them bringing out a steelbook for a special occasion if the release seems to warrant it, but I imagine they won't be so prevalent after being standard in this classic wave.

I've been thinking about how there's a special edition release of Ultraman '66 in the works and the Deep Discount exclusive disc was something of a preview for it. Made me start speculating about just what such a release would entail besides having the English dub and the Birth of Ultraman pre-series special. I just got Mill Creek's Hammer set and it has some new extras commissioned by them: several commentary tracks and three short featurettes produced by Ballyhoo (the company that did all those great extras on the MST3K sets). I imagine their Ultraman special edition would have similar new stuff - but I would love if they managed to license some Japanese extras, like the many interviews with the original cast and crew or making-of specials that have been done over the years.

Some of the compilation films would awesome, too. Especially the two from '79 (New Baltan fight!).

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

eabaker wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:50 am
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:03 am For anyone who doesn't own these yet, Amazon is currently offering several of Mill Creek's Ultra releases at discounts from their usual prices.
Thanks for the heads up!
No problem. UltraSeven is now on sale for $13.99 too.

Angilasman wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:45 pm I've been thinking about how there's a special edition release of Ultraman '66 in the works and the Deep Discount exclusive disc was something of a preview for it. Made me start speculating about just what such a release would entail besides having the English dub and the Birth of Ultraman pre-series special.
To clarify, a re-release of Ultraman isn't currently in the works, although Mill Creek would eventually do one if TPC can locate the English audio masters for the rest of the episodes.

From the SciFi Japan page on Facebook last June, prior to Kaiju Con-LIne and Mill Creek's The Birth of Ultraman release:

More info from after Kaiju Con-Line:

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Then a few months later one of the main guys at Mill Creek did an interview on Cereal at Midnight's YouTube where he all but came out and said it was in the works and the Birth of Ultraman exclusive was a preview of things to come.

Wow, nice sale going on with those sets. If anyone's not gotten 'em yet I encourage it!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I wonder what we'll get after Leo in April? I hope they start doing the Heisei stuff like Tiga but chances are we'll probably get Mega Monster Battle Ultra Galaxy.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I think the following few releases will be Ultraman Zero and Zero-adjacent material.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Yes UGMMB & UGMMBNEO (Plus the Ultra Galaxy Movie) are all supposed to be in one set. Then the Zero Movie and Saga will be seperate releases (but each film will have connecting OVA's with it), those are the most immediate releases, not sure in what specific order however. It would be nice though to get something in the next 3 months before Leo's release to fill the void.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Ultraman Orb has been added to the sale:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XR ... 0DER&psc=1

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

gvamp wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm I wonder what we'll get after Leo in April? I hope they start doing the Heisei stuff like Tiga but chances are we'll probably get Mega Monster Battle Ultra Galaxy.
Considering the Ultra Galaxy shows aren't on Blu-Ray in Japan as of yet, Tiga, Dyna and Gaia (which are) seem a lot more likely.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....