Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by o.supreme »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:06 pm Mill Creek is indeed releasing Ultraman Leo on April 13.

https://www.millcreekent.com/products/ultraman-leo

I just checked my Amazon Pre-order and it now says the release date has been pushed back to May 25 :cry:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Aw. Oh, well; gives me a longer window to watch Taro and R/B.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

https://www.target.com/p/ultra-galaxy-m ... A-82549882

https://www.target.com/p/ultraman-zero- ... nk=sametab

The next two releases have popped up on Target's site! One set is Mega Monster Battle and the movie (introducing Ultraman Zero), the next set is the other two Zero movies and two side stories!

No dates that I can see, but I imagine both would come out in June, as Mill Creek announced their May releases a few weeks ago.

(Edit)

Apparently Amazon is listing them for June 15!

Added in 2 hours 57 minutes 47 seconds:
Wait, is UGMMB even out on Blu-ray in Japan? If not, that blows the doors clean off in regards to even speculating about what we're getting next!
Last edited by Angilasman on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Well that's cool they packaged the 2 movies (Revenge & Saga) & side stories together, as they were previously scheduled for individual release.

Does anyone have the links to the Amazon pre-orders? Also I know it was announced previously that the Galaxy MMB set would have BOTH seasons and the Movie, but it doesn't specifically state that on the cover. I'm not too worried as they combined Giga and Ginga S + movie & OVA with no problem, it was probably simpler than to put the whole title 2X (and just add Neo to one of them) on the front of the DVD case.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I'm really glad they are essentially releasing the "Zero Trilogy" together like this. Makes way more sense then the separate (and out of order?) tentative order Keith laid out last year.

The Zero movies are like the prelude to the current shows, so I'm pretty excited to fill in those blanks.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Okay, so if I've got all the crazy titles right...
This set comes with Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle (2007-08), Never Ending Odyssey (2008-09) and Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends - The Movie (2009)…
And this set Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero (2010), Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial (2010), Killer the Beatstar (2011) and Ultraman Saga (2012), right?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:03 am Okay, so if I've got all the crazy titles right...
This set comes with Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle (2007-08), Never Ending Odyssey (2008-09) and Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends - The Movie (2009)…
And this set Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero (2010), Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial (2010), Killer the Beatstar (2011) and Ultraman Saga (2012), right?
That is the way I understand it yes. And once these two releases come out, anything moving forward will be truly NEW News. Much was speculated on release order at the Con last summer, but other than confirming what is available through Mill Creek, and what isn't, The future after this is wide open. Can't wait to see what's next.

My guess would be, if they are continuing the same pattern; "The Ultraman" and Ultraseven X, might be next, but only time will tell.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I was thinking that we'd get the '90s shows next as they've all been released in the format in Japan, but if they're now putting out something on blu-ray in America first? I can't even guess anymore.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I REALLY wish they'd dabble in releasing Mirrorman or something...
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Well we know Gridman is part of the existing contract, and is coming eventually. I think it really depends on how well the Ultraman Blu rays sell. If they do well enough, perhaps MC can update their deal to include Mirrorman, Jumborg Ace etc... Along with some other Ultra shows they don't currently have.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

o.supreme wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:47 am Well we know Gridman is part of the existing contract, and is coming eventually. I think it really depends on how well the Ultraman Blu rays sell. If they do well enough, perhaps MC can update their deal to include Mirrorman, Jumborg Ace etc... Along with some other Ultra shows they don't currently have.
Considering we’ve had some titles go Out Of Stock intermittently, I’d imagine they’re happy with sales numbers though I would definitely like to see how many have been actually sold.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

It’s too bad about Ultraman Leo getting delayed from April 13 to May 25 but it’s understandable. The pandemic certainly isn’t close to being over (the US reported over 67k new cases of COVID-19 this past Thursday, still in the same range as it was back in late July and mid October last year) and Mill Creek seems to have had a particularly hard time releasing steelbook titles ever since the lockdowns began.

That’s great news about the next two releases. Hopefully that June 15 date will work. It’s nice that they’ve opted to release Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial and Ultraman Saga together in one set instead of giving each movie a separate release. I’m a little surprised that they’re including Ultra Galaxy Legend Side Story: Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero in that set and not in the Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle set but it doesn’t matter. I’m also surprised that the Zero set is listed as “Ultraman Zero Chronicles” but it doesn’t include the 2017 recap series Ultraman Zero: The Chronicle, which makes me wonder if they’re saving that for a standalone release, possibly another Walmart exclusive.

Since Mill Creek seems to be working forward from the classic shows and working backward from the modern shows, I guess they might try to release The Ultraman, UltraSeven X, Ultraman 80, and maybe even Ultraman Mebius and the Ultraman Zearth films before this year is over. I don’t think they’ll finish releasing the 2000s shows or get to any of the 1990s shows until next year, and it could be 2023 before they finish releasing everything that they’ve licensed. It is reassuring to see that not being available yet on Japanese BRD is officially not a barrier to what Mill Creek can release.

I’ve received my new Return of Ultraman booklet in the mail. The essay written by Keith Aiken of SciFi Japan on pages 2-4 received a number of alterations for the new booklet.

Old Booklet (discarded or altered text is bold):
WHEN ULTRASEVEN COMPLETED ITS BROADCAST RUN ON THE TOKYO BROADCASTING SYSTEM (TBS) IN SEPTEMBER 1968, EIJI TSUBURAYA INTENDED IT TO BE THE END OF A TRILOGY OF ULTRA SERIES THAT HAD ALSO INCLUDED ULTRA Q AND ULTRAMAN.

But, as Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd. focused on unrelated projects like the adventure show MIGHTY JACK and the supernatural thriller OPERATION: MYSTERY
, sales continued to rise for books, figures and other merchandising based on the three Ultra Series. Fans were also clamoring for a new television show, and Tsuburaya realized that they were far from done with Ultraman. Development soon began on what would become the fourth entry in the Ultra Series.
New Booklet (newly added or altered text is bold):
WHEN ULTRASEVEN COMPLETED ITS BROADCAST RUN ON THE TOKYO BROADCASTING SYSTEM (TBS) IN SEPTEMBER 1968, TSUBURAYA PRODUCTIONS DECIDED TO TAKE A BREAK FROM MONSTER-BASED PROGRAMS AND MOVED ON TO PRODUCING OTHER PROJECTS SUCH AS THE ADVENTURE SHOW MIGHTY JACK AND THE SUPERNATURAL THRILLER OPERATION: MYSTERY.

However
, sales continued to rise for books, figures and other merchandising based on the Ultraman Series, and Tsuburaya received loads of fan letter from kids clamoring for a new television show. Tsuburaya realized that they were far from done with Ultraman, and development soon began on what would become the fourth entry in the Ultraman Series.

Old Booklet:
Eiji himself reportedly came up with the title, RETURN OF ULTRAMAN, for the new series. The initial idea was to make a direct sequel to the original ULTRAMAN, set decades after the events of that series. Ultraman would come back to Earth when a fresh wave of giant monsters and alien invaders arises to plague mankind. Shin Hayata, now retired from the Science Special Search Party, would entrust the Beta Capsule transformation device to a new human host for Ultraman. Tsuburaya Productions submitted their proposal for the new series in April 1969. But TBS and their sponsors requested that the show feature an all-new Ultraman that could be marketed and merchandised.
New Booklet:
Tsuburaya Eiji reportedly came up with the title, RETURN OF ULTRAMAN, for the new series. The initial idea was to make a direct sequel to the original ULTRAMAN, set decades after the events of that series. Ultraman would come back to Earth when a fresh wave of giant monsters and alien invaders arises to plague mankind. The defense team Science Special Search Party is dissolved, and Ultraman would entrust a transformation device to a new human host. However, as the show’s proposal changes over time, what ended up in the final script features an all-new Ultraman.

Old Booklet:
On January 25, 1970 the company was rocked by the passing of Eiji Tsuburaya. Eiji’s eldest son Hajime, a director and writer on the first three Ultra Series, became president of Tsuburaya Productions Co., Ltd.
New Booklet:
On January 25, 1970 the company was rocked by the passing of Eiji Tsuburaya. Eiji’s eldest son Hajime, a director and writer on the first three Ultraman Series, quit his job at TBS and became president of Tsuburaya Productions in November of the previous year, when Eiji was heavily sick.

Old Booklet:
Based on feedback from licensees, the design for the new Ultraman was modified to help avoid any confusion between him and the original Ultraman. While the two heroes still closely resembled each other, the new incarnation wore prominent gloves and boots and had pinstripes around the red patterns on his body. While simply known as “Ultraman” in the series, he was often referred to as “New Ultraman” by fans. Tsuburaya Productions adopted this nickname when the character made appearances in later Ultra Series. But after Bandai acquired the Ultraman toy license in the early 1980s, Tsuburaya decided the time had finally come to give “New Ultraman” a unique name of his own. A contest was held for children to submit suggestions, and the hero was officially rechristened “Ultraman Jack” in the 1984 feature film ULTRAMAN ZOFFY.
New Booklet:
The design for the new Ultraman was modified to help avoid any confusion between him and the original Ultraman. While the two heroes still closely resembled each other, the new incarnation had pinstripes around the red patterns on his body. While simply known as “Ultraman” in the series, he was often referred to as “New Ultraman” by fans. Tsuburaya Productions adopted this nickname when the character made appearances in later Ultraman Series, until the character appeared in the 1984 feature film ULTRAMAN ZOFFY, Tsuburaya decided the time had finally come to give “New Ultraman” a unique name of his own: “Ultraman Jack”.

Old Booklet:
RETURN OF ULTRAMAN marked a return to form with action-packed, largely stand-alone episodes. Focusing on combat over social commentary was a reverse course from the stories presented in ULTRASEVEN, but it proved to be a shrewd move. The series introduced dozens of new Kaiju alongside new versions of classic foes such as Baltan and Zetton from ULTRAMAN. Many fans consider the show to be the peak of the franchise’s success with regard to Kaiju, as monsters like Twintail, Arstron, Bemstar, Gudon and Black King would become icons of the Ultra Series and its product licensing.
New Booklet:
RETURN OF ULTRAMAN marked a return to form with action-packed, largely stand-alone episodes. The series introduced dozens of new Kaiju alongside new versions of classic foes such as Alien Baltan and Zetton from ULTRAMAN. Twintail, Gudon, Bemstar and Black King would become fan-favourite monsters of the Ultraman Series and its product licensing.

Old Booklet:
The ULTRAMAN and ULTRASEVEN shows were technically separate before this, but RETURN OF ULTRAMAN offered somewhat of a retcon that brought all the Ultra Series together in an interconnected universe. This premised laid the groundwork for many of the Ultraman shows to follow.
New Booklet:
The ULTRAMAN and ULTRASEVEN shows were technically separate before this, but RETURN OF ULTRAMAN offered somewhat of a retcon that brought the previous series together in an interconnected universe. This premised laid the groundwork for many of the Ultraman shows to follow.

Old Booklet:
RETURN OF ULTRAMAN proved the staying power of the character and its story world. The Ultras, Kaiju, and space combat would become staples in Japanese pop culture to this day.
New Booklet:
RETURN OF ULTRAMAN proved the staying power of the character and its story world. The Ultras, Kaiju, and defense teams’ machineries would become staples in Japanese pop culture to this day.

Old Booklet:
The character continues to play an important part in the Ultra Series, with guest appearances in the newer television series plus key roles in feature films like SUPERIOR 8 ULTRAMAN BROTHERS and MEGA MONSTER BATTLE ULTRA GALAXY: THE MOVIE.
New Booklet:
The character continues to play an important part in the Ultraman Series, with guest appearances in the newer television series plus prominent roles in feature films like ULTRAMAN MEBIUS & ULTRA BROTHERS and SUPERIOR 8 ULTRA BROTHERS.

The Ultraman Jack Hero Profile on page 5 is identical between the old and new booklets. Nothing was changed in that section.

The biggest error in the old booklet is in the Character Profiles. At the bottom of page 7, next to the profile of the first captain of MAT, Cpt. Kato (played by Nobuo Tsukamoto), the old booklet instead features a photo of Cpt. Ibuki (played by Jun Negami), the second MAT captain. The photo of Cpt. Ibuki in the old booklet is also flipped horizontally, presenting a mirror image of his face and the MAT logo behind him.

The character profiles are largely redone in the new booklet. Instead of MAT getting a profile, Ken & Jiro’s profile has been moved over to the bottom of page 6, so that both Cpt. Kato and Cpt. Ibuki can have their own profiles on page 7. Both captains have the correct photos next to their profiles in the new booklet, and Cpt. Ibuki’s photo is no longer mirror-flipped. While the old booklet spells Cpt. Kato’s first name as Katsuhiro, the new booklet spells it as Katsuichiro.

Most of the text in the character profiles was rewritten for the new booklet, although there are several grammar & punctuation errors in the new text.

The Episode Guide on pages 8-19 still has all of the same photos, and all of the writer & director information is unchanged, but every single episode synopsis has been rewritten. They’re a big improvement for the most part, since the episode synopses in the old booklet were packed with misspellings and broken English, as they’ve been for every series booklet so far.

Notably, while the episode synopses in the old booklet frequently refer to Go by his last name and they call his alter ego Ultraman, the synopses in the new booklet consistently refer to him by his first name, Hideki, and they call his alter ego Ultraman Jack, neither of which are what other characters in the show call them.

Episodes 3, 6, 13, 16 & 35 are the only ones in the new booklet with titles that differ from what’s printed in the old booklet. That’s part of a broader trend of English title variations on most of Mill Creek’s Ultra releases between what’s shown onscreen in the subtitles, what’s listed on the disc menus, what’s printed in the booklets and what’s displayed on the MovieSpree app.

Much of the text in the Key Kaiju guide on pages 20 & 21 has also been revised for the new booklet, although it still spotlights the same six monsters. The biggest difference is how they’re arranged. The old booklet arranged them alphabetically across the pages, with Alien Nackle and Arstron in the top row, Black King and Gudon in the middle row, and Twintail and Zetton II in the bottom row. The new booklet arranges them in chronological order down each page, with Arstron, Gudon and Twintail on page 20 and Alien Nackle, Black King and Zetton II on page 21. The monster photos on these pages are the same but the photo of Arstron has been horizontally flipped from how it was in the old booklet.

In the Kaiju Guide on pages 22 & 23, all of the photos are exactly the same but five of the kaiju had some alterations to their text.

Shugaron (from ep.12) is described as the Soundwave Monster in the old booklet but the new booklet says Sonic Monster. The onscreen subtitles in the episode say Soundwave Monster.

For the monster from ep.21, the old booklet spells its name as Beakon and describes it as the Electric Wave Monster, while the new booklet spells its name as Beacon and describes it as the Radio-Wave Monster. The old booklet’s name and description match the onscreen subtitles in the episode as well as the subtitles in the next-episode preview from the end of ep.20.

Zanika (from ep.23) is described as the Cancer Monster in the old booklet but the new booklet says Cancer Constellation Monster. The onscreen subtitles in the episode say Cancer Monster.

For the Light Monster from ep.35, the old booklet spells its name as Prizuma while the new booklet spells it as PrisMa. The onscreen subtitles spell it as Prizuma in both the episode and the preview from the end of the prior episode.

Finally, for the underground beings from ep.50, the old booklet spells their name as Kingbockle and describes them as the Primitive Underground Human, while the new booklet spells their name as King Bockle and describes them as the Primordial Subterranean Man. As with the previous instances, the name and description in the old booklet are consistent with the onscreen subtitles in the episode.

There are some minor tweaks to the Key Technology guide on page 24 too, including a different photo of the Ultra Bracelet. The description of the MAT Undersea Base misspells members as “memers” in both the old & new booklets.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Thanks you for this thorough work!

It's great and it helped me make my mind: no, i won't bother myself with the new booklet

;)

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:40 amApparently Amazon is listing them for June 15!
I cannot for the life of me, find the links to these on Amazon, any assistance is appreciated. Thank You.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I saw it posted on blu-ray.com and a few other places. Folks always seem to find these listings that aren't easily accessible, so it seemed super plausible (especially since June will be the next month of Mill Creek titles to be announced).

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm glad in the revised booklet they gave a focus to both captains. I really like both. Even if they were probably written the same way I felt like the performances made them different enough. Plus the second captain we saw his family twice so that kinda made him different.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:23 am It's great and it helped me make my mind: no, i won't bother myself with the new booklet
It's free. You just go here and enter the requested info and they'll mail it to you.

o.supreme wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 am
Angilasman wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:40 amApparently Amazon is listing them for June 15!
I cannot for the life of me, find the links to these on Amazon, any assistance is appreciated. Thank You.
Amazon links:
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle
Ultraman Zero Chronicles

UGMMB is listed as 5 discs, so that's probably two for the initial series, two for Never-Ending Odyssey and one for the movie.

The other set is listed as 3 discs, probably one for each movie and then the the two side stories together on one disc.

Target has removed their pages that had the cover art.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Awesome. Thank you so much. Too bad, Target removed the Product Art.... I knew I should have screenshot it, it will be back soon enough I'd imagine as soon as MC does their official press release.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

So wait. Some of them are already out of stock? Well shit.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Out of stock =/= out of print. They'll almost certainly keep producing these as needed for as long as they have the license
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon