ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Megalon-5 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Rody wrote:Never mind the Ultras: what's Greeza doing there next to the mechs?!
He's set to be in the show soon, along with M1 and some new guys I won't spoil

Added in 12 hours 37 minutes 55 seconds:
I may be going insane right now but is that Alien Spell around the 0:25 mark?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ymxR7bR9o[youtube]

That is indeed Spell. I actually found some photos and promo material confirming that which I plan to use in a Chaiyo related article on my site.
Oooh. I'd be fine if you're holding this for the article but were there any returning kaiju/seijin set for the series itself?

Also, will the article be on Kaiju Kompendium or do you have another website?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: He's set to be in the show soon, along with M1 and some new guys I won't spoil

Added in 12 hours 37 minutes 55 seconds:
I may be going insane right now but is that Alien Spell around the 0:25 mark?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ymxR7bR9o[youtube]

That is indeed Spell. I actually found some photos and promo material confirming that which I plan to use in a Chaiyo related article on my site.
Oooh. I'd be fine if you're holding this for the article but were there any returning kaiju/seijin set for the series itself?

There are, but aside from the Gomora and Spell, there aren't too many differences with the returning kaiju in terms of designs, so I won't be covering them. However, there are quite a few Chaiyo-only monsters who will make up the bulk of the article, which'll be the third special article for Kaiju Kompendium. I'll start working on it once my Taro article is finished (nearing the halfway point on that one)

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Megalon-5 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:

There are, but aside from the Gomora and Spell, there aren't too many differences with the returning kaiju in terms of designs, so I won't be covering them. However, there are quite a few Chaiyo-only monsters who will make up the bulk of the article, which'll be the third special article for Kaiju Kompendium. I'll start working on it once my Taro article is finished (nearing the halfway point on that one)
Nice. Lookin' forward to both articles!

Added in 1 day 21 minutes 55 seconds:
Apparently, the ULTRAMAN manga/anime universe now has Dodongo.
Aside from the weird pole sticking out of the thing's head, I really like this guy.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^As someone who isn't that fond of Dodongo, that is a VERY neat reinterpretation. I clearly have some catching up to do in the series!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I like that Dorango!
Oh yeah The Rise of Ultraman #1 should be out! Got to get a copy.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I just realized that this Rise of Ultraman cover has a couple redesigns.
First off, Jirass looks like a mizture between Heisei and Shin Godzilla rather than the 1965 suit. Go down and to the left in order to spot Woo with a red face and sand-color hair. Right next to her is a green Red King with sunken-in, Shin Godzilla-esque eyes. Another kaiju whose eyes were significantly downsized is Bemular, who also sports large fangs on its upper jaw. Finally, Neronga has an orange back instead of yellow and thinner antennae.

EDIT: I forgot two. Telesdon is now reddish-purple with small eyes (see a trend?) and Pigmon has no head, instead having his face rest on the top of his torso.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Pretty sure Art Adams was doing his interpretation of those guys, and whoever colored it made Telesedon (for instance) to pop better on the page. Jirass is just how Art likes to draw his vanilla Godzilla design.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Therapists: There's nothing to worry about. Green King and Bluestar don't exist.
Green King and Bluestar:

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

http://m-78.jp/galaxy-fight/tac/english/

Cosmos and Justice return.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I've started re-watching Geed. I remember really liking the cast, monster fusions, Kei and the finale. I've really been enjoying Z with its SFX being a step above Geed and Orb's or at least in versatility. Still there are some great shots from the first episode I forgot such as the lengthy shot of above showing Skull Gomora's rampage, Geed first landing, just the darkness and color. Also much of the first fight is in an artificial lake.

My only complaints about Kei is as much as I loved him it seemed like he did his fusion monsters an awful lot where a few more chaotic neutral monsters would have been cool. I like that Celebro is a lot more meager about using his fusion monsters. But only got two episodes in on my re-watch.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Covid has brought me to this...

I think I'm ready to give the Ultraman series another shot. My instinct is to start at the very beginning, with Ultra Q...

Still, I don't know. There's more series than I could ever keep track of. I don't know which are good, or which are bad; which are confusing for a newcomer, and which aren't.

Any input on where I should start?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Covid has brought me to this...
COVID actually did a good thing for once. :lol:

Go to Ultraman after Q, then Seven, after that i'd check out pretty much any of the Heisei era ones, then try jumping into Ultraman Ginga to start the New Generation line.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SaiyanRider54
Interpol Agent

Post by SaiyanRider54 »

Ultra Q is a great start. Then I’d say going in chronological order from there is good with Ultraman and Ultraseven. When it comes to the modern stuff, Nexus is solid and a bit more mature, and Mebius is a sequel and love letter to the showa era that introduces you to the classic monsters and Ultras in a way that’s not too overly toyetic and gimmicky as the more recent series.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If you're specifically wanting to get into the Ultra series then I think you should actually start with Ultraman. Also keep in mind that the first third of the series is a bit rough around the edges. If you finish and enjoy Man you can then decide to backtrack to Ultra Q or continue with Seven. Or do whatever. But I just don't think you should start with the one non-hero show.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Q's a decent place to start if you're a fan of Toho's late 50s-mid 60s Tokusatsu outputs, considering the series is essentially a series of mini-movies, albeit it can be a little rough around the edges largely thanks to its short episode runtime. That said, if you want something with a hero that nicely encapsulates what the franchise is all about, yeah, you cannot go wrong with the original.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Covid has brought me to this...

I think I'm ready to give the Ultraman series another shot. My instinct is to start at the very beginning, with Ultra Q...

Still, I don't know. There's more series than I could ever keep track of. I don't know which are good, or which are bad; which are confusing for a newcomer, and which aren't.

Any input on where I should start?
I was in about the same boat as you before Mill Creek opened the Ultra floodgates. I had barely dabbled in any of it and my exposure to other Japanese superheroes was almost nonexistent, even after so many years of being a fan of Godzilla, Gamera and kaiju movies in general. I had watched the 2004 reboot film Ultraman: The Next and the tie-in series Ultraman Nexus because it was a franchise relaunch aimed at general audiences and that appealed to my teenage edgelord sensibilities. They are really ambitious and well done so that's a great place to start if you want something made in the 21st century.

I tried watching the original Ultraman in college but I didn't get past the second episode. It just wasn't the right time in my life for me to get into it. Since last Fall, though? I've taken the plunge into the tokusatsu deep end, especially with all of the time spent at home since the pandemic hit. Between Mill Creek's Ultra releases and Shout! Factory making Kamen Rider and Super Sentai shows available to stream, there's no shortage of content anywhere you turn!

I started my current ongoing marathon with Ultra Q, then continued straight into Ultraman, followed by UltraSeven, and I'm really glad that I watched those first three shows in order. Those are the three that Eiji Tsuburaya oversaw before his tragic passing and they represent the pinnacle of his career in a lot of ways. They aired 116 episodes in total from the debut of Ultra Q in 1966 to the conclusion of UltraSeven in 1968. Watching all of that for the first time in sequence within a matter of months is quite the experience! You'll recognize the creative flow of ideas and resources from Tsuburaya's films into the sci-fi anthology approach of Ultra Q, the kaiju-centric bonanza of Ultraman and the space-age ambition of UltraSeven.

Have you heard of the Tubi streaming service? Shout! Factory has had several of Toei's Super Sentai series available to stream on their Shout! Factory TV website for a few years now and earlier this year they launched a TV channel called TokuSHOUTsu on the PlutoTV application. That is cool but Tubi is the more convenient streaming option for Shout! Factory's content, especially if you prefer using a game console or other device to stream content on your TV. Tubi is free, no subscription required, and the amount of advertising really is minimal. While I was in the middle of watching UltraSeven early in the Summer, I also started watching both the original Kamen Rider and Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger on Tubi. Zyuranger was the 16th Super Sentai series and the first to be adapted into Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, which I watched the hell out of as a kid, so finally seeing this show in its original form was rewarding and fascinating.

UltraSeven is my favorite of the shows that I've watched so far. It really builds on everything Tsuburaya had done before. It aims for the stars and it hits saucers! On the other hand, Toei's original Kamen Rider is just about the trashiest thing I have ever seen from this genre. I watched the first 26 episodes and I just got tired of the low-grade repetition, so I switched to watching Kamen Rider Kuuga on Tubi instead, the first Heisei-Era Kamen Rider series. I found it captivating and I finished all 49 episodes in under two months. Between the widescreen format and the heavily serialized storytelling, it seems like a show that was ahead of its time and made for the streaming age.

Once I finished UltraSeven, I rewatched the movie Ultraman: The Next for the first time in years before proceeding with the delightful Return of Ultraman. After Kamen Rider Kuuga, I checked out the 2007 series UltraSeven X, a late-night reimagining that ran for 12 episodes. It hasn't been released by Mill Creek yet but it's very easy to find online. After that I started rewatching Ultraman Nexus.

By the time I finished Kamen Rider Kuuga, I was also finishing the third disc of Return of Ultraman, the first 25 episodes. Since both that show and Kamen Rider debuted on Japanese television in April 1971, I've opted to give myself the authentic double-feature viewing experience. Beginning with the fourth disc of Return of Ultraman, I've watched each episode for the first time back-to-back with the corresponding episode of Kamen Rider that aired on that same weekend. It's been cool to see little things that lined up between the shows, like how they both aired episodes featuring jellyfish monsters on the second weekend of October 1971, and how they both incorporated Christmas elements into their holiday episodes.

Return of Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Ultraman Nexus are what I'm currently watching. I've only got five episodes of Return of Ultraman left. I'm looking forward to starting Ultraman Ace and I'm getting sick of Kamen Rider again.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Damn now that's a wall of text! I want to try to get back into the original Kamen Rider. I should try out Kyuuga. I've been super happy with Mill Creek releasing all this stuff.

I forgot how good Laiha looks with her glasses in Ultraman Geed even though her fashion sense is a little weird. I think I shipped Riku with Mao more.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know i wonder if Cosmos has anything to do with Belial being in early style.

He might be the only Ultra that might be able to get through to him, even though i doubt it's actually Belial.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Almost through with Geed.

When it was on Crunchyroll I lost interest about 10 episodes in and fell off. A lot of toyetic scavenger hunt stuff and the bad guy sipping coffee early on. That still stands, but once the plot really kicks in during the mid-season finale it improves a whole lot and becomes very watchable. Several two-parters give more developed stories, and the fight between Geed and Belial 2/3rds of the way through could've been a decent finale if the series was shorter.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno I'm re-watching Geed and it's the cast I really like. Plus I think it was episode 7 that got me to start really loving Kei. I like his smooth famous author look more than his edgy Hot Topic bad guy look. Yeah it is a scavenger hunt but there are serialized moments I love. Such as we learn in the second episode why Skull Gomora was chasing the little girl.

Episode six is high on my list of episodes since I love the switch places plot and Leito got to shine as 'hey I'm a normal dad but it's what I do.' Only complaint is Geed wins by getting a new weapon that REM unlocks but oh well.

Episode 7 is great just for the lengthy taunt scene at the convention.

I actually remember finding that two part with Beliala a little under-whelming but found the finale really good.