ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This may be a result of my lack of experiece in anime but the dub actors sound terrible, especially Absolute Tartarus. Also, the VFX isn't nearly as good as Z.

Overall, not as impressive as the first teaser was.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Agreed, the dubbing is amateur at best. I’ll stick with subs since that’s how I’ve always watched Ultraman.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Is it me or does Tsuburaya have a serious blind spot when it comes to English localization?

I’m pretty sure that the only thing between Netflix Ultraman and an embarrassing dub was a competent middleman leading Tsuburaya to a quality team.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Andro Melos sighting.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Terasawa wrote:Andro Melos sighting.
Wait, does this mean Jumborg, Mirrorman, and Fireman could appear in later Ultra media?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Man, Tsuburaya really wants to pull out all the classics don't they? Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

ok, so a lot to unpack here, and a few questions.....

So thanks to MIll Creek I've seen all the New Age series except Taiga for obvious reasons (I have been watching Z as it is on Youtube). Unfortunately I wasn't following Taiga when it was on TPC Youtube Channel, does anyone know a good place I can still watch it in its entirety?

Also I saw the preview for Ultra Galaxy Fight Absolute Conspiracy, and I am a bit behind. Is this a web series, TV series or Movie? In any case I haven't been this excited for something since the Ultra Galaxy Movie back in 2009.

Also as for the dubbing, it's no surprise. TPC (possibly like Toho), gets actors from Hong Kong I would guess, who are not native English speakers, so it always sounds off (or if they are, they do not know how to direct them well). Winkler's dubs are kind of cheesy, but they are ok, better than TPC's own. Unfortunately I don't think anything will ever compare to the golden age of Titra/Titan.

As for Andro Melos, that was actually part of Ultraman, unlike Fire Man, Mirror Man, Jumborg Ace etc... But Zero's team is obviously homages to all of those other TPC shows. I would like to see all these classics (and Gridman) show up in a Ultra Series or Movie someday, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

o.supreme wrote:Also as for the dubbing, it's no surprise. TPC (possibly like Toho), gets actors from Hong Kong I would guess, who are not native English speakers, so it always sounds off (or if they are, they do not know how to direct them well). Winkler's dubs are kind of cheesy, but they are ok, better than TPC's own. Unfortunately I don't think anything will ever compare to the golden age of Titra/Titan.
UGF (and presumably the sequel) was recorded in Japan by a company named MHR Planning with American actors based in that country. Think of them like a modern day Frontier Enterprises.

Their work is pretty much on par with Winkler’s dubs that are actually done in the US, but they both follow this weird trend of dubbing that always seems to happen when the Japanese are in charge of localization - decent to mediocre actors who are reading a STRICT translation of the Japanese script, trying their damndest to fit it all in each lip flap. The main problem is that Japan doesn’t have the greatest gauge on the acting quality of anyone who isn’t Japanese (Hence their history of hiring any old ex-pat to play a foreigner in any tokusatsu show.)

Something just clouds TsuPro’s delegation skills when it comes to translating their own work into English when left to their own devices.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

So, Ultraman Legend has to be showing up in Absolute Conspiracy, right? It’d be real weird if he didn’t at this point.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Millenial88 wrote:UGF (and presumably the sequel) was recorded in Japan by a company named MHR Planning with American actors based in that country. Think of them like a modern day Frontier Enterprises.

Their work is pretty much on par with Winkler’s dubs that are actually done in the US, but they both follow this weird trend of dubbing that always seems to happen when the Japanese are in charge of localization - decent to mediocre actors who are reading a STRICT translation of the Japanese script, trying their damndest to fit it all in each lip flap. The main problem is that Japan doesn’t have the greatest gauge on the acting quality of anyone who isn’t Japanese (Hence their history of hiring any old ex-pat to play a foreigner in any tokusatsu show.)

Something just clouds TsuPro’s delegation skills when it comes to translating their own work into English when left to their own devices.
Was MHR credited in the previous UGF film? I can't find anything online linking them to any Ultra productions so I'm wondering where you got that info. (Not that I doubt you, I'd just like to be able to verify that for myself.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Millenial88 wrote:The main problem is that Japan doesn’t have the greatest gauge on the acting quality of anyone who isn’t Japanese (Hence their history of hiring any old ex-pat to play a foreigner in any tokusatsu show.)

Thanks for the info, and yes this is pretty much my takeaway from most modern english dubs I've heard not produced in the U.S. Makes sense.

It's odd because Keith stated that Mill Creek is going to include (for the BRD releases) the English dubs whenever possible. It seems a lot of effort is being made to try to get the dubs for the original Ultraman, and the Winkler stuff being newer is easy to obtain. But there are so many bad dubs out there (many not approved by Tsuburaya I would think), and even ones that presumably were (like half of Tiga for the Fox Box), I doubt will be included.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

You know how virtually every first episode of any given Ultra series has your typical bipedal upright reptilian monster (a las Godzilla) as the first opponent the Ultra fights? I think we need to refrain from that formula more often. Maybe have a first episode which features a humanoid kaiju for once, similar to the Gargantuas.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Trying to think of the kaiju exceptions...
Cosmos: Lidorias
Orb: M-Basser
Ultraman Towards the Future: Gudas and Bogun.
I want a monster that is like Bogun/Twin-Tails.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Trying to think of the kaiju exceptions...
Cosmos: Lidorias
Orb: M-Basser
Ultraman Towards the Future: Gudas and Bogun.
I want a monster that is like Bogun/Twin-Tails.
Lidoras and Mega Basser were only slight deviations. Take away their wings and you’ve pretty much got Godzilla-types. To continue your point, there is Cool Seijin from Ultraseven and Powered Baltan in Ultraman Powered.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

We've had a couple so far. Aside from the ones mentioned above, we've had Anagaruge from Neos, Pedoleon from Nexus, Galkimes from Seven X and as of recent, Genegarg from Z.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I know some are trying to phase out the big Ultra thread but I feel like it's a good place for random stuff like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvuf80d4-Q
I didn't realize there was a Twin-Tails in there. How do you dance in that!?

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

So how about the MEGO Ultraman coming out?
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I wish it could've came out earlier. I already got SHFA Ultraman and pe

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Saturndusk wrote:So how about the MEGO Ultraman coming out?
Hmmm... I kinda dig it. My stylized vinyls of Toho kaiju also have a retro aesthetic, so it may look good next to, say, a Marmit Godzilla.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

I was wondering if there was a place to watch all of Taiga with Eng subs? Its the only new gen show I've not seen, and I can only find random episodes on YouTube