Anime Discussion: What is Godzilla exactly?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Discussion: What is Godzilla exactly?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

In hind site, if Godzilla's the absolute good guy, why'd he kill Mothra :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

miguelnuva wrote:
Solia wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: He's a hyper evolved plant based lifeform his design is based on trees he has no skeleton so yeah pretty much plant the evolved the characteristics of animals I guess through dna tranfer.
And what happens if star killer base destroys earth
Godzilla Earth will block the shots with his breath.
I ment the planet it's self
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:In hind site, if Godzilla's the absolute good guy, why'd he kill Mothra :lol:
Godzilla isn't really a good guy-he's a good guy from nature's perspective. He indiscriminately kills shit that isn't related to or helping him so he can be the dominant life form.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:In hind site, if Godzilla's the absolute good guy, why'd he kill Mothra :lol:
The Earth could have been ready for a reset without humanity where Mothra defends humanity. Thus they have to fight.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

He doesn't respect her :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Same reason as Battra. He takes it too far.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Incel rage
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Because he's an absolutist. Wipe out humanity and all other monsters, no exceptions. Besides, Mothra stood up for the smelly humans that caused the rise of the kaiju in the first place. Was there any indication in the novels that Mothra protects humanity out of an optimistic belief in them?

Lemme put on the tinfoil hat of wild, crazy, baseless speculation first before I go off the deep end here. What if Mothra just protects humanity because she wants to rule over them as a deity? "I can protect you from the monsters that threaten your homes, I can heal your wounds, and you puny apes can get these benefits and more if you just bow down and worship me as your goddess." And while people get suckered into praying to a giant insect their DNA gets mutated with her monster genes. They gain telepathy and protective powder sure, but having psychic links just makes it easier for a higher psychic power (i.e, a deity) to mind control anyone hooked into that frequency and strip them of their free will to create loyal slaves. What I'm saying is that Mothra and Battra were running a protection racket in the guise of a religion to facilitate the establishment of eusocial hivemind built on humanity.

Okay the tinfoil hat is off. Man that thing is nuts.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I think it went a little something like this.

Godzilla: Welp, finally did it. Cleared Earth of those dirty, no good humans. Now, the world can grow however I want it t....
Oh, dang. Missed a few.

Mothra: Brother Godzilla! Stop this! You may think the only way you can save the planet is to kill all humans but there are other ways to-

Godzilla: HOLY SHIT, BUG!

RIP Evan.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
Because he's an absolutist. Wipe out humanity and all other monsters, no exceptions. Besides, Mothra stood up for the smelly humans that caused the rise of the kaiju in the first place. Was there any indication in the novels that Mothra protects humanity out of an optimistic belief in them?

Lemme put on the tinfoil hat of wild, crazy, baseless speculation first before I go off the deep end here. What if Mothra just protects humanity because she wants to rule over them as a deity? "I can protect you from the monsters that threaten your homes, I can heal your wounds, and you puny apes can get these benefits and more if you just bow down and worship me as your goddess." And while people get suckered into praying to a giant insect their DNA gets mutated with her monster genes. They gain telepathy and protective powder sure, but having psychic links just makes it easier for a higher psychic power (i.e, a deity) to mind control anyone hooked into that frequency and strip them of their free will to create loyal slaves. What I'm saying is that Mothra and Battra were running a protection racket in the guise of a religion to facilitate the establishment of eusocial hivemind built on humanity.

Okay the tinfoil hat is off. Man that thing is nuts.
What a twist! Urobochi would be proud!

Added in 17 minutes 32 seconds:
To me, I think that Godzilla isn't just the incarnation of all life on Earth--he is the Earth itself incarnate. Think about, he was derived from plant-based life, his body is made up of metals, his body structure is built like a mountain as well as one of the oldest and most powerful lifeforms ever known--that being dinosaurs of course. He is capable of manipulating the weather and entire ecosystems to match his body on what appears to be a global and molecular scale, which is something that few kaiju can attest to.
But wait, there's more! The reason I believe that Godzilla is so savage and emotionless is because he isn't just the living incarnation of the Earth itself, he is also nature's wrath incarnate. This may explain why he offed Mothra when both of them are responsible for protecting Earth: in nature, there is black or white, no good and evil, no morality. It is killed or be killed. The struggle to survive. It would not be unlike how different animals that occupy the same niche in an environment will often fight eacher other for dominance over it. Mothra fought to protect to all life on Earth and still works to protect it post-mortem. Godzilla on the other hand is Earth's last line of defence, it's last ditch effort to ensure its own survival. Godzilla was fought to destroy the humans for good so they could regain mastery of the Earth for itself, but Mothra likely wanted to protect them out of benevolence. This put her in Godzilla's way, and when you're fighting for survival it doesn't matter who gets in your way or why--you will survive no matter the cost. So Godzilla destroyed her because of her interference. (Or it was just a plot hole this whole time :P )
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

A really, really, REALLY old c*nt
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Given events in part three this thread warrants a reboot of sorts.

Here’s my long theory/take:
Anyways part 3 spoilers ahead:
Spoiler:
What I gathered is that in actuality, the monsters in universe are some strange naturally occurring phenomena. When a species or race becomes some technologically advanced, specifically in regards to widescale destruction, indicated by the atomic bomb, the monsters, and ultimately Godzilla, or a Godzilla like creature will awaken. This Godzilla may actually be a manifestation on the planet as a whole, indicated by all the plant symbolism, and the fact that it’s literally called Godzilla earth. We know that similar things have happened to other species, based on what the Barusaldos and Exif have said. Perhaps in this universe planets are almost literal life forms of sorts? And the Godzilla tier creatures are avatars for them? When the term “monster planet of Godzilla” is used, it doesn’t mean Kaiju overrunning the earth, it literally means Godzilla is the planet.

Anyways, separate, is Ghidorah, which is essentially above the food chain. It eats Godzilla and presumably other Godzilla tier monsters on other planets. The reason why the film is called planet eater, and Ghidorah literally bites Godzilla, supports the idea that Godzilla is the planet’s spawn.

Metiphes is untrustworthy, so I’m not sure if I buy the Ghidorah Godzilla connection, that Ghidorah makes Godzilla’s. I think the film used a literal fruit analogy, so it’s more like Ghidorah is a predator that waits for the fruit to go before feasting. Godzilla, grows like a fruit, getting larger and more powerful. Just like a tree, the earth is capable of producing more fruit, just like the infantile Godzilla from part 1.

Another theory is that minor monsters in the series Kamacuras, Angurius etc... are really just large creatures and aren’t the same level. They’re more like giant animals awakened by humanity’s weapons and technological advances. There’s a correlation between them and Godzilla, but the monsters are more akin to humanity. This is why Godzilla also sets out to kill them. It’s also why, while interesting, the anime films have no interest in focusing on them.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Toho1993
Ronin

Post by Toho1993 »

Short answer: depends on continuity.
Otherwise there’s no real way to answer that without having some type of composite result (as is most fictional characters).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Toho1993 wrote:Short answer: depends on continuity.
Otherwise there’s no real way to answer that without having some type of composite result (as is most fictional characters).
This is specifically for the anime incarnation.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.