Say Something Positive About The Anime Trilogy

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Say Something Positive About The Anime Trilogy

Post by Maritonic »

We don't have to wait to long to see them after they're theatrically released. Think that's about the only positive I can really say here.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

*The novels
*The musical score
*Godzilla

That's about it for me.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

A couple more:

It is nice to get the Godzilla films state side super fast for a change. I remember what it was like waiting for the Heisei films to get over here and with the Millennium films, I was accustomed to waiting at least a year after its Japanese release. With Shin Godzilla coming out fairly quickly, and then these films shattering even that record, it is kind of nice to get these films quickly.

Also, the films do have great build ups. I have my issues with the payoffs (especially in the 2nd film) but they do have enough hooks to keep me intrigued until the end.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

-Interesting expanded universe
-interesting new take on Godzilla and Ghidorah

that's all I got lol

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Music's nice.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The thing I like the most is how it gives the kaiju a metaphysical value, specially the second film, which builds on how the kaiju represent aspects of the different types of humanoid beings, and how they are linked to us, wether it is for better or worse. So we have Godzilla linked to the self-destructing humans of our (relative) time, taking over the planet; we have Mothra as a benevolent god to the pacifist Hotua, who respect the planet; and we have Mechagodzilla, acting as the representation of the Bilusaludo's renouncement of their beliefs in the natural and conformity with technology.

I wonder what will Ghidorah represent for the Exif. It seems like the third film will be the most religious of the trilogy.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

It's a bit simple . . . but I'm wondering if Ghidorah will represent some sort of nihilism . . . that there is 'no way out' between the extremes of Godzilla (nature/Earth) and Mechagodzilla (progress/technology).
. . .

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Destorogoji wrote:The thing I like the most is how it gives the kaiju a metaphysical value, specially the second film, which builds on how the kaiju represent aspects of the different types of humanoid beings, and how they are linked to us, wether it is for better or worse. So we have Godzilla linked to the self-destructing humans of our (relative) time, taking over the planet; we have Mothra as a benevolent god to the pacifist Hotua, who respect the planet; and we have Mechagodzilla, acting as the representation of the Bilusaludo's renouncement of their beliefs in the natural and conformity with technology.

I wonder what will Ghidorah represent for the Exif. It seems like the third film will be the most religious of the trilogy.
Can I just note how good it is to have the monsters be metaphors at all again? It should be a given, but we went so long without it before Shin.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rodan wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:The thing I like the most is how it gives the kaiju a metaphysical value, specially the second film, which builds on how the kaiju represent aspects of the different types of humanoid beings, and how they are linked to us, wether it is for better or worse. So we have Godzilla linked to the self-destructing humans of our (relative) time, taking over the planet; we have Mothra as a benevolent god to the pacifist Hotua, who respect the planet; and we have Mechagodzilla, acting as the representation of the Bilusaludo's renouncement of their beliefs in the natural and conformity with technology.

Can I just note how good it is to have the monsters be metaphors at all again? It should be a given, but we went so long without it before Shin.
Agreed, though I'd say the Monsterverse has dipped into it a little.

RIP Evan.

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

they are on netflix
(i like the films but they are not amazing)
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Shin Gabara wrote:It's a bit simple . . . but I'm wondering if Ghidorah will represent some sort of nihilism . . . that there is 'no way out' between the extremes of Godzilla (nature/Earth) and Mechagodzilla (progress/technology).
Metphies talks in the trailer about being "released from everything," so yeah, I'd assume his religion views Ghidorah as some form of entropy to be embraced.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I could say a lot but right now, I like the films collectively seem to follow a version of the stages of death in theme.

Planet of the Monsters - Denial and Anger.

City on the Edge of Battle - Barganing.

The Planet Eater - Grief and Accpetance.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The twins are cute.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:The twins are cute.

Seriously tho I agree lol
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Pfft, I like my women real.

Anyway I came in here with intentions on saying something positive, got excited thinking part 3 would be on Netflix this November, then realized it’s just hitting Japanese theatres in November and it’ll probably be January before it hits Netflix, so fuck this series :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Monster X wrote:I could say a lot but right now, I like the films collectively seem to follow a version of the stages of death in theme.

That's actually a pretty insightful way to look at it! It's almost as if Urobochi wrote all this anger and grief into the story on purpose! :shock:
But jokes aside, this analyzation really has me looking at the tone of the trilogy in a new light. Up until now I thought that he was making these movies dark and cynical because he could. Now that I can see this pattern, I think that I'll be more forgiving of the trilogy's themes and Haruo's character too.
Plus, if Planet Eater really is going to have acceptance as its theme, then maybe it could still have a happy ending--which I would honestly appreciate!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Monster X wrote:I could say a lot but right now, I like the films collectively seem to follow a version of the stages of death in theme.

That's actually a pretty insightful way to look at it! It's almost as if Urobochi wrote all this anger and grief into the story on purpose! :shock:
But jokes aside, this analyzation really has me looking at the tone of the trilogy in a new light. Up until now I thought that he was making these movies dark and cynical because he could. Now that I can see this pattern, I think that I'll be more forgiving of the trilogy's themes and Haruo's character too.
Plus, if Planet Eater really is going to have acceptance as its theme, then maybe it could still have a happy ending--which I would honestly appreciate!

On the subject of Death, you could say Godzilla and Ghidorah reprisent it's two faces.

Ghidirah is the dark side of death, an all devouring force that leaves whole worlds barren and lifeless.

Godzilla is the light side, yes he destorys but look at his earth. Our world is a sick, dirty place. His world is, despite being inhospitable to old humans, a paradise were life can flusrish. Godzilla is the reaper who plants seeds while harvesting his crop, so that something new can grow after.
Last edited by Monster X on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Pfft, I like my women real.

Anyway I came in here with intentions on saying something positive, got excited thinking part 3 would be on Netflix this November, then realized it’s just hitting Japanese theatres in November and it’ll probably be June before it hits Netflix, so skreeonk this series :lol:
More than likely it'll be January considering the other films got released on Netflix two months after their theatrical releasea.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I mean January not June :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

Titanoterror98 wrote:

Same. I still don´t like the films, I still feel they have a sense of pretentiousness in them and they needed better execution in the writing, but the themes that they have are compelling in paper.

Anyway, here´s some of the stuff I like about the anime trilogy:
-The ideas and themes
-Some fresh takes on the mythos
-XAI´s songs, and it seems that Live and Die will be my favorite of her songs as well! :D
-Godzilla Earth´s appearance in POTM
-Metphies
-The novels
-The twins are cute
-Finally, the score, particularly this:

Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.