Godzilla: The Planet Eater Speculation

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: The Planet Eater Speculation

Post by kaijukurt »

Monster X wrote:
I cannot say I agree.

Ghidorah himself is based on the Hydra as well as the Yamata no Orochi, both are depicted as very serpentine in classical art.

In fact a number of works of Orochi like this one have many dragonic/serpentine heads reaching out of water/storms/darkness. Then you have what Ghidorah's powers are ment to be, not electrical based but gravity. It's a very radical redisgn sure, and I respect you and other don't like it, but from what I've seen it's one based around the very monsters that inspired the King of Terror himself as well as more a more faithfaul reworking of his power set then Legendery Ghidorah. thats not to say I dislike that version as it's shaping up to be a persoanl faviort and his powers are cool but Ghidorah breathing electricity is, for me, as inaccurate as say Godzilla breathing fire when his atomic breath is raw atomic energy.

I'll agree however that the design of the heads is odd but far from the worst I've ever seen.
Same sentiments here.

Sure, this Ghidorah doesnt look anything Toho has done regarding the character...but this new design is still a 3-headed serpentine world destroyer from the depths of space.

Its nice rethinking (so far) of the character that sticks to the anime themes of setting the Godzilla universe in a more sci-fi inspired world.

Kind of like a much more radical Millennium series/IDW comic concept.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I likes it. I likes it a lot.

Out there take: all three heads are emerging from the self same black hole that only appears to be three separate objects. Because it exists as a 5 or 6 dimensional doorway.
. . .

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Man, I'm sorry but any close ups on the heads I see just REALLY turn me off. It's wayyyyy too skinny and just... weird looking. I guess it fits the overall aesthetic of these films; the poster IS gorgeous.

I dunno, I have 0 expectations for this. The other two films were crap so I expect this one to be, as well.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Maritonic wrote:Man, I'm sorry but any close ups on the heads I see just REALLY turn me off. It's wayyyyy too skinny and just... weird looking. I guess it fits the overall aesthetic of these films; the poster IS gorgeous.

I dunno, I have 0 expectations for this. The other two films were crap so I expect this one to be, as well.
Basically me right now lol.
I mean, I didn't have much hope in the 3rd one anyway, but that Ghidorah just turns me off even more. no matter how much I look at it, it just does not click for me.
Weird bug-eyed alligator clips for heads, no wings, no physical body...

(But I agree the poster itself looks awesome)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

That poster as a standalone image is actually pretty cool...

But yeah, I thought the last poster looked cool too and that didn't reflect the film very much, so my expectations are still low.

As for the Ghidorah design...I feel like I need to see it in action but right now I'm kind of "meh" towards it.

Admittedly, it is hard to get excited for this when Godzilla: KOTM seems poised to give us the greatest Ghidorah ever put on screen.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

kaijukurt wrote:
Monster X wrote:
I cannot say I agree.

Ghidorah himself is based on the Hydra as well as the Yamata no Orochi, both are depicted as very serpentine in classical art.

In fact a number of works of Orochi like this one have many dragonic/serpentine heads reaching out of water/storms/darkness. Then you have what Ghidorah's powers are ment to be, not electrical based but gravity. It's a very radical redisgn sure, and I respect you and other don't like it, but from what I've seen it's one based around the very monsters that inspired the King of Terror himself as well as more a more faithfaul reworking of his power set then Legendery Ghidorah. thats not to say I dislike that version as it's shaping up to be a persoanl faviort and his powers are cool but Ghidorah breathing electricity is, for me, as inaccurate as say Godzilla breathing fire when his atomic breath is raw atomic energy.

I'll agree however that the design of the heads is odd but far from the worst I've ever seen.
Same sentiments here.

Sure, this Ghidorah doesnt look anything Toho has done regarding the character...but this new design is still a 3-headed serpentine world destroyer from the depths of space.

Its nice rethinking (so far) of the character that sticks to the anime themes of setting the Godzilla universe in a more sci-fi inspired world.

Kind of like a much more radical Millennium series/IDW comic concept.
Again this is why I love this series. Admittedly this would be off putting in a live action film which is why I love that Toho's using animation to explore these new concepts. Still would like a 2D traditional anime though.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

GojiDog wrote:
Admittedly, it is hard to get excited for this when Godzilla: KOTM seems poised to give us the greatest Ghidorah ever put on screen.
That’s the entire point of the anime in the first place, to keep Godzilla fresh in the GA’s minds until the new movie comes out. That’s also why minimal efforts being put into these, they’re afterthoughts to pass the time and keep the character relevant over seas, which is why the Netflix deal was struck.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Is it me, or does Ghidorah have the same eyes that the Servum has?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Maritonic wrote:Is it me, or does Ghidorah have the same eyes that the Servum has?
It’s not you, Ghidorah is basically one giant-ass Servum
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Ok thats just... wow!

Three separate black holes?! Is Planet Eater Ghidorah even a creature of our universe?! It's more like some Lovecraftian Outer God that sticks it's head into our reality when it feels a bit peckish!

Again I must also ask, was the Bilusaludo Home World also destroyed by Ghidorah? They said it was a black hole but could they, in their logic driven minds, not comprehend a Kaiju of this scale and nature?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

You’re probably not wrong with your theory
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

This is what baffles me the most. They wanted to get "creative" with Ghidorah by redesigning him, but they literally made a bigass golden servum.
What is it with Urobuchi's obsession of giving every monster bug features lol.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Which is annoying considering the Servum are supposed to have the same DNA as Godzilla, right?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Exactly.
I would not be surprised if they go full SW by having Godzilla reveal to Ghidorah that he is his father :lol:

(But seriously, does this imply that Godzilla and Ghidorah are genetically related here?)

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Is it me, or does Ghidorah have the same eyes that the Servum has?
Good point, wonder if there is a is an in-universe reason or not. Or it could just be lazy as I know some are going to say.

I have to say the exoskeleton look vaguely reminds me of Matt Frank's Neo Ghidorah although barley. I also remember in it's bio that it's DNA and Godzilla's were similur despite there being no connection between the two. Could that be the case? Or is it possible that Godzilla Earth is not of our Universe either?

Probable none of the above but it's fun to speculate.

Lol maybe Ghidorah is a future offshoot of Godzilla so powerful it can travel back in time to feed itself.
Last edited by Monster X on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Monster X wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Good point, wonder if there is a is an in-universe reason or not. Or it could just be lazy as I know some are going to say.

I have to say the exoskeleton look vaguely reminds me of Matt Frank's Neo Ghidorah although barley. I also remember in it's bio that it's DNA and Godzilla's were similur despite there being no connection between the two. Could that be the case? Or is it possible that Godzilla Earth is not of our Universe either?

Lol maybe Ghidorah is a future offshoot of Godzilla so powerful it can travel back in time to feed itself.
Damn this movie is gonna be one hell of a family drama :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dv-218 wrote:
Monster X wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote: It’s not you, Ghidorah is basically one giant-ass Servum

Damn this movie is gonna be one hell of a boring family drama :lol:
Fixed that for you ;)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

"Godzilla and Ghidorah in
INTERGALACTIC PLANT BROS

Also starring:
Captain Ahab Yaeger
Girl Character
Space Legolas"
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Well if nothing else, Ghidorah took back his place a biggest Kaiju with this version.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Monster X wrote:Well if nothing else, Ghidorah took back his place a biggest Kaiju with this version.
Debatable. All we've technically seen are three gold snakes, really. If they're attached to a body with bulk, well, then...