The future of Godzilla anime

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

The future of Godzilla anime

Post by Cookson »

Will Toho continue to do more Godzilla anime after this Anime trilogy? Is this a one and done thing?

I think there's more to come. Anime is so ridiculously cheap, it's hard not to see Toho make more. I would like to see more anime styles, but they could be set with Polygon.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Post by GigaBowserG »

Pretty good timing, mentioned in another topic, but Toho said how'd they'd be interested in pursuing animated shows for kids. I have a feeling it'd use traditional animation, sort of like how that Godzilland thing was handled in the '90s.

Hoping this isn't the last of theatrical anime Godzilla, though. Would really like to see Godzilla in a variety of styles, 3D or otherwise.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I hope we get an actual tv series at some point.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla has a lot of potential for animation, hopefully they go with 2D next time instead of more CGI

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

Ivo-goji wrote:I hope we get an actual tv series at some point.
That's what I was asking myself, because Toho does not get a Godzilla series of real action?
as his series from 2003 to 2005

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

Godzillian wrote:Godzilla has a lot of potential for animation, hopefully they go with 2D next time instead of more CGI
What's wrong with cgi?
Last edited by Solia on Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Good hand drawn/2D animation always has a certain charm and purity that 3D just never quite matches up to, at least for me. That mostly pertains to television, though.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

If we get a hand drawn animation later down the line, I want any of the animation companies that did Hellsing Ultimate or Bayonetta Bloody Fate to do it.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Living Corpse wrote:If we get a hand drawn animation later down the line, I want any of the animation companies that did Hellsing Ultimate or Bayonetta Bloody Fate to do it.
This
I love Hellsing Ultimate's animation, and it would be fantastical for a Godzilla anime.
In my opinion, the Kiryu series is the one I feel has more in a common with an anime series, and thus, the one I would adapt, but somehow I expect people saying it's an Evangelion ripoff (monster destroying organization, a robot that goes berserks when posessed by a soul it contains, the robot is also a cyborg etc)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Living Corpse wrote:If we get a hand drawn animation later down the line, I want any of the animation companies that did Hellsing Ultimate or Bayonetta Bloody Fate to do it.
It's a decade old, but Toonami has been showing Ghost in the Shell again and that is a beautiful look show, I wouldn't mind them doing Godzilla.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Vakanai wrote:
It's a decade old, but Toonami has been showing Ghost in the Shell again and that is a beautiful look show, I wouldn't mind them doing Godzilla.
Gundam Wing's animation is still good looking today, give them a big enough budget and they can make it Endless Waltz good.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I bet Toho will keep investigating AnimeGoji as a format, but I bet they allow some time to pass post-trilogy for the stink to wear off.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

TheSecondComing wrote:I bet Toho will keep investigating AnimeGoji as a format, but I bet they allow some time to pass post-trilogy for the stink to wear off.
What stink? Just because the first was a little underwhelming with all that exposition doesn't mean the trilogy will go down that way.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

If you have to do a series of animation you could already look at the designs of Matt Frank from Godzilla-Neo!
https://kaijusamurai.deviantart.com/gal ... dzilla-Neo

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Vakanai wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:I bet Toho will keep investigating AnimeGoji as a format, but I bet they allow some time to pass post-trilogy for the stink to wear off.
What stink? Just because the first was a little underwhelming with all that exposition doesn't mean the trilogy will go down that way.
I have to agree, Planet of the Monsters is currently sitting at a 6/10 on IMDB.

Mothra vs Godzilla, arguable one of the best films in the franchise is sitting at about 6.5, 2014 at 6.4 and Shin at 6.7.

Zilla 98 is a 5.7, Ebriah is a 5.3 and All Monsters Attack is a 3.9.

For the first animated Godzilla film it's did pretty dame well (i.e. its not garbage) and from the one detailed review we have, City is better then Planet. So Anigojie is doing just fine.
Last edited by Monster X on Sun May 20, 2018 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Old Man Goji is fantastic and it revitalizes the franchise using past concepts the way not even the Millenium nor the comic books did.
I'm pretty sure Toho will announce something about the future of Godzilla in anime by late 2019, specially with the whole Gojicon thing.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I hope we receive more sci fi Godzilla anime’s, I’m loving the current series.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I look forward to Godzilla eventually getting a more traditional 2D-styled anime series or film somewhere down the line. Could you imagine if Toho could convince Miyazaki to helm one?

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Pkmatrix wrote:I look forward to Godzilla eventually getting a more traditional 2D-styled anime series or film somewhere down the line. Could you imagine if Toho could convince Miyazaki to helm one?
Well, that'd be a dream come true for this lover of all things Goji and Ghibli!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd love to see Yoshiki Takaya designed kaiju.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983