The future of Godzilla anime

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: The future of Godzilla anime

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

If we get a Shin sequel, it should be done as an anime by Anno.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:If we get a Shin sequel, it should be done as an anime by Anno.
I could not disagree more.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

That's does it. Studio Trigger does the next series or GTHO.

(Godzillian may be on to something, though...)
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Only thing I can say: I hope they make an animated Godzilla film that makes it into the top 5 of Annecy. It has the potential, and we all know it.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzillian wrote:Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju
Yeah boiling down a series to the most generic monster of the week format with cliche characters sounds like an amazing idea!

I actually hope that if there was a Shin sequel it would be live action again. They did something remarkably human with shin and I feel like an anime would remove that.

I think if the Godzilla Anime series sells enough mercy and box office then they’ll probably do an anime series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Japan couldn learn a thing or two from Godzilla The Series when it comes to animated kaiju
Yeah boiling down a series to the most generic monster of the week format with cliche characters sounds like an amazing idea!
I mean, it's not like the anime films are doing any better.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Everyone knows if Toho wants success, they should learn a thing or two from the true American Godzilla series- Hanna-Barbera Godzilla.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
I mean, it's not like the anime films are doing any better.
While the first film is basically expository, and the second film is a bit disappointing in the monster regard, a lot of people do really like the second one (myself being part of the crowd) and the third one looks really promising. They’ve ditched a monster of the week plot with good. Character writing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I wasn't referring to the monster-of-the-week part with my comment. :P

I think the anime characters have been stock as hell and very hard to find compelling or interesting. Even in the second one, I don't really find any of the supposed "growth" of characters like Haruo good and the death of Yuko (literally had to look her name up, lol) didn't move me in any way as she was a very bland character that didn't do much in either film.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

My initial hope for any Godzilla anime was things like

2D animation
-Go far into the sci-fi realm because that's the kind of thing you can't really pull off visually on a Japanese Budget/production schedule
-Give Godzilla a LOT of screen-time for the same reason....it doesn't 'cost' more money in 2D animation to see Godzilla a lot....it is just a matter of time to animate the damn thing.
-Preferably lean heavy into the super tech and mecha side of things. A Godzilla anime with Masers, the Gotengo, the Super X, the Garuda, Mecha G, maybe Moguera, D23 missiles, a reimagined Oxygen Destroyer, maybe another Absolute Zero canon or Dimension Tide......just something super sci-fi, far into the future, that just goes bonkers on wrapping all of the coolest sci-fi stuff from throughout the series into one.......that's kinda what I was rooting for with the anime trilogy.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

It also needs better characters. I literally skipped every scene that included that main douche was in because of how generic his character is. I hated him.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I just need to interrupt this lovely thread for a dumb question: Suppose somebody had some silly ideas for their own anime. Would they post them here or somewhere in the fanfiction forums?
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Titanoterror98 wrote:I just need to interrupt this lovely thread for a dumb question: Suppose somebody had some silly ideas for their own anime. Would they post them here or somewhere in the fanfiction forums?
Fanfic
#slatternking

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:I just need to interrupt this lovely thread for a dumb question: Suppose somebody had some silly ideas for their own anime. Would they post them here or somewhere in the fanfiction forums?
Fanfic
Thanks!

Added in 1 month 8 days 4 hours 39 minutes 1 second:
So, here's a crazy idea: what if Masaaki Yuasa got to do a Godzilla anime at some point?

Also, on an unrelated note, what are your thoughts on this Chibi-Godzilla Toho's making?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

Interpretation is perfectly fine, I just feel like we need some variety.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Desghidorah wrote:I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

100% this. I don't have a problem with the more vague portrayal in Shin Godzilla where his motivations are alien and unclear, and his actions cannot be explained properly, but this portrayel has gotten incredibly bland and stale in the anime trilogy, to the point where he barely feels like an actual character and more like an inanimate obstacle the main characters have to overcome.

If there will be more attempts at a Godzilla anime in the future, I would love to see a Godzilla that's more..."alive", so to speak.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Dv-218 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:I think one thing to definitely keep in mind is to not just retread over what they already done. Godzilla is a character that can work at a very broad range, but I feel that all the Japanese products of him lately can be boiled down to, "big unstoppable wall that slowly walks forward and shoots beams while having extremely vague motivations."

100% this. I don't have a problem with the more vague portrayal in Shin Godzilla where his motivations are alien and unclear, and his actions cannot be explained properly, but this portrayel has gotten incredibly bland and stale in the anime trilogy, to the point where he barely feels like an actual character and more like an inanimate obstacle the main characters have to overcome.

If there will be more attempts at a Godzilla anime in the future, I would love to see a Godzilla that's more..."alive", so to speak.
Make that a 110% this!

I think that has to be the most important thing any future animation projects should remember. The ability to explore a character solely through their appearance and body language is one of the greatest strengths of animation. So seeing this ability squandard on Godzilla Earth (and Filius) is just such a waste, especially with such an inspired design. Not even close up shots of his eyes do anything to contribute to his character outside of "Big Scary Plot Device oooOOOooo." I agree with Desghidorah about Shin-Godzilla because it was designed to be terrifying monstrosity evoking the terror of nuclear disaster--I don't expect him to mugging at the camera or doing his Trademark Happy Dance. The designers of G-Earth said he was supposed to evoke wisdom, but all I get from seeing him in action is just a general feeling of menace and... largeness, I guess.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Make that a 110% this!

I think that has to be the most important thing any future animation projects should remember. The ability to explore a character solely through their appearance and body language is one of the greatest strengths of animation. So seeing this ability squandard on Godzilla Earth (and Filius) is just such a waste, especially with such an inspired design. Not even close up shots of his eyes do anything to contribute to his character outside of "Big Scary Plot Device oooOOOooo." I agree with Desghidorah about Shin-Godzilla because it was designed to be terrifying monstrosity evoking the terror of nuclear disaster--I don't expect him to mugging at the camera or doing his Trademark Happy Dance. The designers of G-Earth said he was supposed to evoke wisdom, but all I get from seeing him in action is just a general feeling of menace and... largeness, I guess.
Gotta agree. Shin Godzilla (the movie) was more of a political thriller/drama film in a pretty realistic setting with Shin Godzilla (the kaiju) being more a catalyst to the events around him than the core of the movie. So for that, even if I myself would have liked him to have been more active, it works just fine.

But these anime films seem to want to focus on Godzilla more and in an animated format they are not as restricted by limitations of live-action films like more detailed CGI needing to match the scenery or safety for the suitmation actors.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Desghidorah wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Make that a 110% this!

Gotta agree. Shin Godzilla (the movie) was more of a political thriller/drama film in a pretty realistic setting with Shin Godzilla (the kaiju) being more a catalyst to the events around him than the core of the movie. So for that, even if I myself would have liked him to have been more active, it works just fine.

But these anime films seem to want to focus on Godzilla more and in an animated format they are not as restricted by limitations of live-action films like more detailed CGI needing to match the scenery or safety for the suitmation actors.
Again, I couldn't agree more! (Sorry I took so long to reply; I was just thinking about how to responsd and then I got sidetracked by, well, life.)

I'm probably not the first person to point this out, but I think that Legendary's Monsterverse films are an excellent example of how good animation and a well-written Godzilla can go together. I think that's why, when we suggest people like Ghibli and Miyazaki, Trigger, or even Yuasa for future movies, we're drawn to them: they know how to use animation to create characters and sights that can look fantastical and wild but that also convey their emotions and personalities clearly--which again, is something I never felt in these movies.

Anyhoo, now that the trilogy is finally over, where do you think they could from here? In what ways could Toho use animation and Godzilla differently?