Name

For the discussion of the animated movie, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle and a unnamed sequel.
Dr.Cgad
Yojimbo

Name

Postby Dr.Cgad » Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 am

Shouldn't we change the name of this to Godzilla anime trilogy?
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Name

Postby SpaceG92 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Dr.Cgad wrote:Shouldn't we change the name of this to Godzilla anime trilogy?

No.

Gotschiller
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Gotschiller » Thu May 10, 2018 5:32 pm

SpaceG92 wrote:No.

Yeah i know, because that's TOTALLY not what it's called. Let's just call it "Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters Trilogy" instead. :facepalm:
Hi!

Dawsbfiremind
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Gotschiller wrote:Yeah i know, because that's TOTALLY not what it's called. Let's just call it "Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters Trilogy" instead. :facepalm:

Just wanted to say you have the greatest profile picture/gif of all time.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Thu May 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Gotschiller wrote:Yeah i know, because that's TOTALLY not what it's called. Let's just call it "Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters Trilogy" instead. :facepalm:

Just wanted to say you have the greatest profile picture/gif of all time.

I was gonna say the same thing, it's pretty cool! :D
*MechaGoji Bro7503's Mile high quote*

"Did you really just quote ALL of that, JUST to say you didn't know there was a Lion King end credit scene ?" - Lain of The Wired
Tournament stats: 2 - 3

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Gotschiller wrote:

Yeah i know, because that's TOTALLY not what it's called. Let's just call it "Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters Trilogy" instead. :facepalm:

Eh, I see where both sides are coming from on this. Currently it'd be okay to call it the anime trilogy cause this is the first Godzilla anime and only 3 OVAs/films are planned in the foreseeable future. However Toho might get another company to make another animated film(s) years later much like how they have had multiple companies make Godzilla comics/mangas over the years, at which point we'd have to call this something like the Monster Planet trilogy since later anime films would likely be their own continuity in much the same way Heisei and Millennium films have nothing to do with each other or the Showa films sans 1954.

SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Postby SpaceG92 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Gotschiller wrote:

Suggest a name that aptly describes the first movie, it's sequel and an un-named sequel and let's see if it sticks. Name was chosen off the original pilot film and the fact it's a trilogy. Were not in a new era (technically) so you can't go by that. Calling it AniGoji trilogy is fine and dandy until another random animation steals the name. Monster Planet Trilogy is fine, but Planet of Monsters fits better imo. Sounds more...regal?

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I have zero clue what is so wrong about "Godzilla Anime Trilogy". Yes, it might not be the only anime films we get, but the current name would be like if you called the Heisei series "The Return of Godzilla Series".
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things kaiju!

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 pm

The official name for the trilogy is "GODZILLA Anime Trilogy." It's not just a descriptive name, it's what Toho and Polygon have chosen to call it. "AniGoji Trilogy" is also used on the official website and social media. "AniGoji" is an abbreviated title chosen specifically for the anime trilogy, I don't know how any random animation would just "steal the name."

Also, worth noting, is that "Monster Planet" has never been used for the first film in any official capacity. It's just a literal translation of the first movie's Japanese title that English-speakers used before the English title was announced. The first film's official English title has always been GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters, ever since it was presented at that French animation festival earlier in 2017.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Which is a shame. 'Monster Planet' sounds 70s-horror-film and kind of campy horror fun. 'Planet of the Monsters' evokes more of a 50s or 60s B-movie sci-fi feel, and isn't as good to me. Not as sleek or streamlined, just a bit clunkier.

Plus, Monster Planet sounds like it could have a double meaning- the planet that contains monsters, or the planet that is, itself, a monster. Which feels appropriate to the setting of the film. So I was very disappointed by the name change.
The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Postby SpaceG92 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 pm

King of the Monsters wrote:The official name for the trilogy is "GODZILLA Anime Trilogy." It's not just a descriptive name, it's what Toho and Polygon have chosen to call it. "AniGoji Trilogy" is also used on the official website and social media. "AniGoji" is an abbreviated title chosen specifically for the anime trilogy, I don't know how any random animation would just "steal the name."

To the latter. You can answer that question real easily. Another anime film gets announced - and we have a "trilogy" thread. I like to think people would not link the two, but hey - this fanbase > sometimes.

Anyhow - this'll be updated shortly -

King of the Monsters wrote:Also, worth noting, is that "Monster Planet" has never been used for the first film in any official capacity. It's just a literal translation of the first movie's Japanese title that English-speakers used before the English title was announced. The first film's official English title has always been GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters, ever since it was presented at that French animation festival earlier in 2017.

So - if it's the literal translation, then it kinda is offical? : s

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm

If Toho announces another animated Godzilla film unconnected to the trilogy, they probably won't call it "AniGoji" because that was the title they came up with for the trilogy. Not every new Godzilla anime will be called "AniGoji," that's just the name they chose for the trilogy.

"Monster Planet" is about as official as calling Ebirah, Horror of the Deep "Godzilla, Ebirah, Mothra: Great Duel in the South Seas" or Terror of Mechagodzilla "Mechagodzilla's Counterattack." Sure it's a literal translation of the Japanese title, but it's kind of irrelevant because these films all have their own different official English titles, and the literal translations were never used for anything official.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Postby SJM925 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:38 pm

SpaceG92 wrote:So - if it's the literal translation, then it kinda is offical? : s

Translation =/= localization. That may be what it says, but what does it mean? That's the issue with the likes of direct translation.

Soul web store reservation ban lifted = orders start on the tamashii web shop, as an example

Return to “GODZILLA Anime Trilogy (2017-Current)”