Godzilla Anime Japanese BRD Collector's Edition

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Godzilla Anime Japanese BRD Collector's Edition

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Anyone picking it up? I'm kind of on the fence, myself. I had a blast with the REAMS of special features on the Shin BRD, but this one both looks more standard and more talk-heavy. I can't understand Japanese, so without subs, the interviews aren't a big draw. Stage greetings and premieres are fun, but nothing crazy. That leaves..."From Shin to Anime Godzilla", rough sketch gallery, and two(?) booklets that it comes with (and the aforementioned events). I'm not sure I want to spend $100 on that. =/ Where does everyone else stand?
Last edited by Arbok on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Re: Japanese BRD Collector's Edition

Post by Cookson »

I do have this ordered. Not sure why it's more expensive than the Shin Godzilla special edition set though. I told myself long ago I'd get the special editions of all future Japan Godzilla releases.... So..

I'm surprised they didn't have a "art of" book for this. That book for Shin sold extremely well. Unless they're planning on releasing one complete book of all three films.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

I think they'll probably do one when all three are releases, likely. You're right, it sold too well for them not to attempt something similar. Honestly, I think the sketch/design file are a tide-over until the full thing. I went ahead and ordered a copy as well since I wrote my previous message. I sort of said te same thing to myself too. Haha I'm optimistic it will be worthwhile.

If nothing else, I finally ordered my own 'Godzilla Island' DVD set that is scheduled to arrive around the same time, so the Kaiju hype train can continue through to May post-PR:U and Rampage. :D

Added in 58 seconds:
So to follow up, I'll post a more complete breakdown of the special features later in the week, but for now I can definitively say that the "special booklet" and "sketch book" are two separate, physical things that come included with the CE. More details about on-disc features to follow.

P.S- Sleek as hell box. Similar size and shape to Shin's CE.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Mine should be in the mail tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

So, I finally got around to checking out the PotM BRD on the eve of the Netflix release for 'City on the Edge of Battle' and...I can't say I was super impressed.

I love the beautiful box and the two separate physical booklets that it comes with are jam-packed with artwork, concept designs, and fun lore bits (very friendly to english-only audiences), but the on-disc Extras were pretty scant. There was a 20 some-odd minute EPK making-of that was clearly intended for TV prior to the movie's release which was okay, two interviews (useless to foreigners), and three stage premiered on the bonus disc. That's it. Less than 90 minutes of footage. The stage Premieres were good- one was amazingly fun and features some of the Shin Godzilla cast coming up to greet them and another featured early animatics. Still, pretty disappointing that there isn't even really a pure behind-the-scenes at Polygon doc The rest of the stuff on the first disc is ad campaign stuff and an audio commentary. Also the hype stinger for the third film that the Netflix release left out. Only 30 seconds though, so you're not missing much. Overall, I'd not recommend dropping the money for this one.

Will I get the one for the 2nd film after the lack of MechaG? Probably not, honestly. I'd only really consider it if the extras included work on his design or something PLUS many more obvious making-of features. Not announced yet, we'll see.

Added in 1 month 4 days 23 hours 19 minutes 27 seconds:
So, for those who don't frequent the media section, the BRD for "City on the Edge of Battle" has been detailed and...it's pretty much the exact same spread as last time, minus the TV special. So we're getting LESS this time around!? =S They are as follows:

【Specifications · Enclosure privilege】
● Special three-way back case
● Hiroshi Kaida Drawing down digipack
● Collectors Edition SPECIAL DISC
· Hiroyuki Sakashita (Director) × Yuji Sakai (Monster Model) Interview
· Public anniversary stage greetings
● Hiroyuki Sakashita Director Sketch Collection
● Special-made booklet (32P)

【Video benefits】
● Trailer (1st bullet, 2nd bullet)
● Special information
● TVCM
● Chapter 3 Preliminary Notice

【Voice benefits】
● Staff Audio Commentary
Cast: Shizuno Hayumi (Director) / Hiroyuki Sakashita (Director) / Kabuchi Gen (Story Draft · Screenplay)

I loved the two booklets last time around, but we're STILL not getting a video making-of? How is this even possible? And a half hour less video content? Pretty tough to justify for non-native speakers (myself among them). For anyone that is into importing: how do you feel about the spread?
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.