Godzilla: Monster Apocolypse; English FAN Translation WIP!

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla: Monster Apocolypse; English FAN Translation WIP!

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Greetings all,

Currently I’m working on an amateur English translation of Godzilla Monster Apocolypse. I have three years of Japanese under my belt, and ESL and translation certificate under my belt and a deep passion of Godzilla. As a result, I have a copy of Godzilla Monster Apocolypse that I am currently translating. I intend to translate it, openly admitting there may be minor errors. However, I am wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me with enedevor. Regardless, I intend to translate the entire novel from Japanese to English. I intend, by myself or with compatriots, to assemble a full English translation of the novel, from back to front.

Anyone profiecent in Japanese(Fluenecy in Hirgana and Katakana, proficient in grammar, and basic kanji skills, who is interested in helping out, please PM me. I have a copy of the novel, and if anyone wants to help, it’s welcomed!

I know there’s a seperate thread, but a lot of it doesn’t regard any sort of actual translations. I’ve carefully after a few days translated a few pages myself, and just wish to know if anyone’s interested.

Tomorrow, or Monday, I intend to post around 3-4 pages. My goal is to make the novel and it’s evenfz easily accessible to the Godzilla fandom.

Added in 3 days 10 hours 18 minutes 40 seconds:
Guys here's pages 7+8.

For the most part it's info we know, but I needed to do this section as well and there's still some interesting tidbits. I'm currently translating 9+11, but I thought I'd show you what I have so far:
Spoiler:
Page 7:
June in the year 1999.
Location-The United States: New York to Boston Region
Appearance of the Giant Monster Kamacuras. Approximately 2.5 million people were killed. This event is the first appearance of the classification, and onslaught, of the living organisms known as "Kaiju". On the southwest of the island of Manhattan in New York, the Kamacuras emerged suddenly and without warning appeared from the center of New York Harbor. Three days after landfall the Kamacuras migrated northeast 330 kilometers. Everything they passed over was consumed and destroyed. From the outskirts of Boston, the "Pease National Guard Base" began a simultaneous attack on the Kamacuras. This attack, utilized a special laser bomb called the "Bunker Buster" and drove the monsters off(?). At this moment, The hypothesis that the "kaiju" are mutated creatures due to environmental factors that changed gene expressions is likely.

September in the Year 2002.
Location-The United Kingdom: London to Manchester
Appearance of the Giant Monster Dogora/Estimated killed and injured amount: approximately 3,900,000 people.

November in the Year 2005.
Location-People's Republic of China
Appearance of the Giant monsters Rodan and Anguirus/Estimated killed and injured amount: approximately 8,200,000 people. The creatures were successfully destroyed by a chemical weapon dubbed "Hedorah". However, the area of Dongbei and the many rivers connected to it were contaminated as the chemical weapon birthed into a creature.

December in the Year 2017.
Location-Australia: Sydney to New Castle
Appearance of the Giant Monster Daghra. Approximately 6.7 million people were killed. The Kaiju's interior burst out with bacterium and caused an epidemic. The bacterium spread out and expanded from Australia to the Eastern Sea.

May in the Year 2022
Location-Turkey: Izmir to Ankara
Appearance of the Giant Monster Orga. Approximately 1.15 million people were killed and injured.

Page 8:

Year 2030
Location-United States: West Coast
On the western coast in the United States, a Kaiju different than everything so far appeared. Appearance of the Giant Monster Godzilla. Approximately 8.7 were killed or seriously injured. Mankind's Global Population: 56% of Global Population=2.3 Billion People. Even the areas Los Angeles to San Francisco were destroyed. Up to now, previous the previous kaiju outbreak had become more and more dire. At the same time as Godzilla's initial appearance, three separate Kaiju's bodies, all massacred by Godzilla, appeared alongside him.

In the year 2034.
Godzilla destroyed Europe. The European Union Allied Forces all out attack on Godzilla resulted in complete and absolute failure. Godzilla appeared and approximately 6 million people were killed. Mankind's Global Population: 30% of Global Population=2 Billion People. The Capital City of France, Paris, has fallen. Because of this catastrophic event, Europe was evacuated and abandoned.

Year 2035
The Exif Aliens appeared over New York.

Year 2036
The Barusaldo Aliens appeared over London.

Year 2039
Together, the Human, Barusarudo and Exif races established a "Global Earth Federation". Every country part of this was compromised of autonomous regions. Due to the cooperation of the Exif and Barusarudo Aliens, advanced scientific and technological support was made; and the plan to salvage Europe, "Operation Eternal Light" began. Anti-Kaiju weapons were mass produced efficiently, but still their effect on Godzilla was unknown.

Year 2042
News of Godzilla's rampage continued. Godzilla appeared 8 times. In that span approximately 300 million people were killed or seriously injured. Mankind's remaining global population at 19% of original, or 1.2 Billion. Regions that no longer exist: coastal United States, the Northern coastal portion of Africa, and 50% of Eurasia.

Page 9:
Book Project Team Launch
The plan to pick a new planet to emigrate to began. A spaceship needed to use to immigrant the people of earth began. The current provisional government moved and east abolished a facility on the outskirts of Rio De Janiero Brazil.

Year 2045
An effort to trap Godzilla in the Eurasia Continent began; "Operation Great Wall" commenced. At the Himalayan Mountain range, near a fault Godzilla was sealed in a large pit, one kilometer long and eight thousand meters deep(?). 2000 nuclear bombs were launched. Godzilla was successfully delayed and trapped in the fault for one year.

Year 2046
Godzilla appeared and approximately 200 million people were killed. Mankind's Global Population reduced to 13%; Global Population remaining is now 800 million people. Through the use of his heat ray, Godzilla was able to escape the large fault by melting the rocks. Godzilla continued to break through the Indian Defense Force and before long the Bengal Gulf was annihilated. During the same year, in March, in Japan at the Hamatsu Summit, a final Anti-Godzilla offensive was lost.

[REDACTED] lost. The Indian peninsula continued to fall apart, and humanity was pushed backed and evacuated to Japan. Godzilla appeared and approximately million people were killed. Mankind's Global Population: 11% of original Global Population or 700 Million People remaining.

Year 2048
The project, "Extrateristial Emigration Plan" began.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla: Monster Apocolypse; English FAN Translation WIP!

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

@ LSD Jellyfish
You did a wonderful introduction! Please continue! I do believe in you!

The only remark I have: You wrote Dagahra as "Daghra". This is - in my view - the only little remark. Since I am not fluent in Japanese + I don't have the book itself, I can only look for such little typos.

EDIT #1
Haven't noticed this, because I was kinda absent on this: "Barusaldo" instead the official Netflix sub: "Bilusaludo".
Last edited by GojiraGuy2016 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:This attack, utilized a special laser bomb called the "Bunker Buster" and drove the monsters off(?).
This is what I got from another source as well, that the monster was "repelled" as opposed to killed. I *think* it's stated Kamacuras was killed when you reach the actual chapter, though.
, the area of Dongbei and the many rivers connected to it were contaminated as the chemical weapon birthed into a creature.
Is it the "Dongbei" or "Hebei" province? The China names are always so finicky.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:Is it the "Dongbei" or "Hebei" province? The China names are always so finicky.
You kinda hit the nail on the head. The difficulty is Japanese kanji versus what they should actually be called. If you look up the term used, in a Japanese context, it relates to Liaopei/Liaobei, basically Manchuria. The modern day word for that region is dongbei, but that's a larger whole.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaobei

But, if you look up the kanji in a Chinese dictionary, it relates to Heibei, another region that encompasses the same area(you're starting to see why the Chinese provinces are annoying) :P
I should change it to Hebei, and I will in the doc on my computer.

Basically both work, but yeah Heibei might be better.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:You kinda hit the nail on the head. The difficulty is Japanese kanji versus what they should actually be called. If you look up the term used, in a Japanese context, it relates to Liaopei/Liaobei, basically Manchuria. The modern day word for that region is dongbei, but that's a larger whole.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaobei

But, if you look up the kanji in a Chinese dictionary, it relates to Heibei, another region that encompasses the same area(you're starting to see why the Chinese provinces are annoying) :P
I should change it to Hebei, and I will in the doc on my computer.

Basically both work, but yeah Heibei might be better.
Thanks a lot for the info! How interesting, and confusing :lol: I don't recall China being a very prominent location in the book outside of Hedorah's chapter, so hopefully there won't be too much of that to worry about.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Page 9:
Book Project Team Launch
The plan to pick a new planet to emigrate to began. A spaceship needed to use to immigrant the people of earth began. The current provisional government moved and east abolished a facility on the outskirts of Rio De Janiero Brazil.

Year 2045
An effort to trap Godzilla in the Eurasia Continent began; "Operation Great Wall" commenced. At the Himalayan Mountain range, near a fault Godzilla was sealed in a large pit, one kilometer long and eight thousand meters deep(?) . 2000 nuclear bombs were launched. Godzilla was successfully delayed and trapped in the fault for one year.

Year 2046
Godzilla appeared and approximately 200 million people were killed. Mankind's Global Population reduced to 13%; Global Population remaining is now 800 million people. Through the use of his heat ray, Godzilla was able to escape the large fault by melting the rocks. Godzilla continued to break through the Indian Defense Force and before long the Bengal Gulf was annihilated. During the same year, in March, in Japan at the Hamatsu Summit, a final Anti-Godzilla offensive was lost.

[REDACTED] lost. The Indian peninsula continued to fall apart, and humanity was pushed backed and evacuated to Japan. Godzilla appeared and approximately million people were killed. Mankind's Global Population: 11% of original Global Population or 700 Million People remaining.

Year 2048
The project, "Extrateristial Emigration Plan" began.

Notes:
-the (?) is just regarding a sentence that's very measurement oriented. I'm not sure exactly if Godzilla was buried in a pit 1km with a width of 8000 meters, or if that is the width. In any case, essentially, Godzilla was sealed in a large pit adjacent to the Himalayan mountains, and presumably bombarded with rubble from the mountain range to seal Godzilla.

Also, in regards to the [REDACTED] part, the section really blacks out who or what lost. It's unclear if it's another Monster, but most likely it's a mech or some special operation. When we get a fullscope of the novel it'll become clear.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

@ LSD Jellyfish
Thank you again!

I hope you noticed my other post to you!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Wonder what REDACTED is? Can't be Mechagodzilla, he didn't even turn on.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

It probably was Mechagodzilla, because the timeline thing on the website says he was "lost" during Godzilla's final battle against the United Earth in Hamamatsu in 2046. Sure he never turned on, but as far as the United Earth was concerned they lost Mechagodzilla when Godzilla destroyed the city.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiraGuy2016 wrote:@ LSD Jellyfish
Thank you again!

I hope you noticed my other post to you!
Yeah, I noticed. I'll change it later. Just to be clear though, the stuff I'm uploading here isn't "the final translation", or even everything I have so far. It's just me giving little things here and there so you guys can be entertained until eventually it's easy to distribute. :mrgreen:
Living Corpse wrote:Wonder what REDACTED is? Can't be Mechagodzilla, he didn't even turn on.
KOTM, hit it on the head. However, it may not exclusively be. Mechagodzilla, but also referring to the forces or other mechs. The text does list it as a decisive battle. In addition, the verb used 喪失(そうしつ/Soushitsu), has a few variations of meaning (all negative). Mainly it means to lose, but it can also mean to fail.

Also, I'm currently translating the "preface", it's not really the preface in a traditional sense, it's definitely part of the novel. But interestingly enough, the novel really likes plants. I noted this in a PM, but the novel likes using words that have double meanings related to plants. For instance, the term たね is used, which can mean kind or variety of, but can also mean seed. Later on there's repetitions of probably the hardest thing to figure out which is "ヤシ", which means palm (as in tree) but is used in really strange ways. The novel is definitely hammering home the plant theme, which I find fascinating.

Also there is definite distinguishers between Godzilla and the other Kaiju. From my perspective and theory (so this is separate from the translation), there's lines that indicate humans created suitable environments for Kaiju via pollution and things like climate change. Godzilla is separated from the Kaiju when listed, which may just be to emphasize the big star, but also categorizes them differently. And while humans destroy the environment, it's not always humans, the term used is seibutsu sometimes, which can kinda mean animal or organism, and in some cases is used synonymously with Kaiju.

If I had to guess the Kaiju are actually no different from the humans, as far as Godzilla or the plot is concerned. In other words, the Kaiju awakening or arriving is caused by the humans, and Godzilla is sort of the clean up crew, not only for the Kaiju but humanity.

In the same regard, at the point I’m translating noe(so keep in mind this could easily change early on), humanity is severely generalized, and it seems as though humans, Exif and Barusaldo’s are all under a bigger umbrella of 霊長, or Primates. While I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some heel twists later, it does make the aliens seem like they’re part of the struggle.

And remember, the Barusarudo and Exif are clearly inspired by or direct new incarnations of the Black Hole Aliens and Xilliens. In both Godzilla vs Gigan, and IOTAM, it’s directly stated those alien’s planets got wrecked by pollution or lacked resources like water due to internal problems. I’m inclined to believe humanity is being directly connected to them, to show similarities between the two races, and if I had to really speculate, both the Exif and Barusarudo had a “Godzilla”, some Uber Kaiju that their planet or some force created, to reset things, like KG or SG. It’s stated the Barusarudo’s lost their planet to a black hole, but it could be as a result of SG, or some other space monster. The long version is I’m speculating more “planet tier” Kaiju, like Godzilla, in contrast to things like Kamacuras, Rodan, Dogora, and Orga, who are just giant organisms (let me know if this makes sense).
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: And remember, the Barusarudo and Exif are clearly inspired by or direct new incarnations of the Black Hole Aliens and Xilliens. In both Godzilla vs Gigan, and IOTAM, it’s directly stated those alien’s planets got wrecked by pollution or lacked resources like water due to internal problems. I’m inclined to believe humanity is being directly connected to them, to show similarities between the two races, and if I had to really speculate, both the Exif and Barusarudo had a “Godzilla”, some Uber Kaiju that their planet or some force created, to reset things, like KG or SG. It’s stated the Barusarudo’s lost their planet to a black hole, but it could be as a result of SG, or some other space monster. The long version is I’m speculating more “planet tier” Kaiju, like Godzilla, in contrast to things like Kamacuras, Rodan, Dogora, and Orga, who are just giant organisms (let me know if this makes sense).
I got the same impression from Metphies' speech in the movie, saying he's seen other civilizations wiped out by "creatures similar to what you call 'Godzilla.'" Personally, I think one of these "planet-tier" space monsters is going to end up factoring into the plot of the trilogy. They've been alluded to in both the film and the prequel novel, so I don't think they will just be a red herring, especially considering Metphies seems to know something everyone else doesn't. Right now my theory is that SpaceGodzilla or something like him will show up during the final battle in Part 2 and end the film on a cliffhanger.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Totally expect Spacegodzilla to show up at the end of part 2
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Totally expect Spacegodzilla to show up at the end of part 2
Probably. Expect a sizeable translation by the release of the second film, and most likely the full novel by the end of the third.
I have many pages translated in a file, but I’m waiting to translate more. The problem is a lot of it is redundant, things everyone already sort of knows, so I want to try to give new info.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Will you release this as a PDF or a TXT file once it's done?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah^
Just a minor update, I’ve made some progress, but really swamped with midterms and other stuff. Will get back on track within the next week.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Any updates?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It’ll happen, someday. I did actually have a significant chunk translated. But I started doing a post grad degree early, and I got busy. Later on, aka currentry, I started working 50+ hours a week, to pay for my last semester for college and move to japan in the spring. Right now, it’s not exactly a priority.

However, I do intend to do it. My friend actually sent me a copy of the sequel. I just don’t want to make false promises. It will happen, but don’t think it won’t take a while. After city on edge of battle I want to do it now more than ever.