Letter Grade for Godzilla PoTM

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Letter Grade for PoTM

A
8%
B
45%
C
32%
D
12%
F
3%

Total votes: 60

Medusa
Ronin

Re: Letter Grade for Godzilla PoTM

Post by Medusa »

Godzilla was cool. Really didn't like the plot or human stuff. It was kind of annoying actually.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Low B for me. The visuals were cool, and I liked the music, concept and twist ending, but I struggled with the technobabble heavy dialogue and the whole plot was essentially set up.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

As someone who loves sci fi and Godzilla, I had a blast with this movie. I’m glad Godzilla wasn’t in it more, as that would have detracted the sci fi stuff. Bring on the sequels!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Went with A, as, while it won’t be one of my very favorites, despite not being into hard science-gi, this was the most fun I’ve had with Godzilla, aside from Shin, I’ve had in quite some time.

Script was clever and well-paced, the characters, if not horrendously deep, play off each other’s motivations in interesting ways, and there’s room to do something relevant with its themes of territorial pride, and Sakaki’s Ahab role (and the strange bedfellows of the religious and warfaring alien races) in the future. It’s good use of the material, and I’m just really happy to be seeing Godzilla movies like this.

In reality it might be closer to B+, but I want the takeaway to be that I was nothing but pleasantly surprised with what I saw. No complaints—just curiosity about where the story will end up.
Last edited by Rodan on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

It was okay. I give it a C, and that's only because of Godzilla being in it.

Without it being a Godzilla movie, it'd be nearly unwatchable.