Godzilla Monster Planet: Is it good/okay? ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla Monster Planet: Is it good/okay? ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hey, I suppose this thread could be merged with the general discussion thread at a later time, but I suppose I'm just curious what the reception is without hearing any specifics. In other words, if anyone here has seen it, can you tell me your thoughts on it without spoiling anything?
Last edited by Arbok on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Re: Is it good/okay? ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

Post by Dracosaurian »

Well, I heard that IGN Japan gave it a rating of 7.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Word is that it has boring characters but decent action.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

To break it down to its core elements.

Characterisation: seem to be this films most consistently identified weakness. There are some stands outs but nothing strong.

Effects: Superior to the companies Knights of Sedonia series but still has many of the issues Japanese 3D films have. For example everything feels like it has proper weight to it but for the when it comes to the human characters cannot they just can't seem to go beyond the 2D style. How much its going to bother you is really down personal tastes in regard to animation, everyone has their line drawn in the sand at a different places.

Story: Good but incomplete. Lots of world building, lots of thought put into how everything works and good attention to detail. But falls a bit flat due to the aforementioned lack of characterisation. There's also the fact that this was designed episodic story, originally planned as to be a TV series, so it lacks the proper structure a normal film would have. From the sounds of it this series is more akin to Anime OVA's then a true film.

Action: Mostly solid all round from what I hear.

A flawed but good film is the general consensus I've gotten from the reviews are can read properly.

Sound's pretty ok to me, but then I can only speak for myself.
Last edited by Monster X on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Monster X wrote:Story: Good but incomplete. Lots of world building, lots of thought put into how everything works and good attention to detail. But falls a bit flat due to the aforementioned lack of characterisation. There's also the fact that this was designed episodic story, originally planned as to be a TV series, so it lacks the proper structure a normal film would have. From the sounds of it this series is more akin to Anime OVA's then a true film.
I may have been asleep at the time, but when was it said that G:MP was (originally) going to be a TV series?

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

G1985 wrote:
Monster X wrote:Story: Good but incomplete. Lots of world building, lots of thought put into how everything works and good attention to detail. But falls a bit flat due to the aforementioned lack of characterisation. There's also the fact that this was designed episodic story, originally planned as to be a TV series, so it lacks the proper structure a normal film would have. From the sounds of it this series is more akin to Anime OVA's then a true film.
I may have been asleep at the time, but when was it said that G:MP was (originally) going to be a TV series?
Sorry for the long reply. I'll be honest and say I've forgotten (at this point) were I heard that myself so I'll be excluding from further discussion until I can remember.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Its extremely...decent. The characters are cardboard cutouts, but thats the case in many Godzilla movies. There are some interesting premises but they get too glossed over far too quickly to really have much of an impact. I'm more impressed with plant Godzilla than I thought I'd be, and I'm eager to see more, but I definitely wasn't blown away like G14 or Shin by any means.
Last edited by Relair on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I felt it was a pretty weak entry which is disappointing for both being the first in a trilogy and just being the first Godzilla anime. Even if parts 2 and 3 are good the series as a whole will suffer for part 1 cause part 1 is how you get people to see the next parts.

Ity's one thing to have a series get better as it goes with each film being better than previous, it's another to have the first entry be weak.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

I enjoyed it. Shouldn't put too much thought into a giant monster movie. It's got a decent plot. Moves a bit quickly, IMO, but it's time-limited so it has to.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

It is fine. No better, no worse than that.
Member of TK Since 2006

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I enjoyed it and recommend at least a single viewing. Everything, to me, is satisfactory, from plot to effects, to music, to dubbing, etc.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It's good enough. I'd give it a B. The Monster Planet trilogy is a nice "holdover" till KOTM and GvsKong.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote:It's good enough. I'd give it a B. The Monster Planet trilogy is a nice "holdover" till KOTM and GvsKong.
I agree, and that’s what I’m viewing it as, a hold over until bigger and proper “main entries”. I’m not going to devalue it.

Also tbh I wouldn’t mind if this thread was merged with the general discussion or sorta locked. I intended it to see what the Japanese response was before it got the Netflix release here.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

The dub was outstanding btw, top notch stuff.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Keep in mind that it’s just the first third of the story. Bot overall, I really liked it.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cookson wrote:It's good enough. I'd give it a B. The Monster Planet trilogy is a nice "holdover" till KOTM and GvsKong.
I agree, and that’s what I’m viewing it as, a hold over until bigger and proper “main entries”. I’m not going to devalue it.
This one Japanese, this is a proper entry.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
This one Japanese, this is a proper entry.
Sure but it’s clearly meant to be a smaller release given the lack of huge advertisement campaign in comparison to to Shin or LPG. Also it being a Japanese production doesn't mean it’s”proper”. I’m just saying it’s so clearly intended to be a side release to enjoy in comparison to the main attraction.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I thought it was fairly good. I liked the animation and the action was nicely executed. The plot and the characters were on the weaker side, but since this is the first part of a trilogy, we can only hope they get more attention in the next one.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Solid B+. The characters might be simplistic, but that avoids false pathos. It also has a good angle where, when two characters disagree, it avoids a common anime cliche of one side being flawlessly right and allows for some honest points on both sides. Visuals also hold up pretty good. So over all, a solid film and good start to the trilogy.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Finally saw this and was pleasantly surprised by the clever angle and script, as well as a bit of fun action. While it’s a bit difficult to assess as a stand-alone film, as it really does feel like a first episode—and a lot of my overall reaction would depend on what’s done with its setup, in terms of characters and themes—it acquits itself quite nicely and puts a lot of intruiging stuff on the table. I’m excited to see where the follow-ups go.

It’s already substantially better than the bulk of the Heisei and Millenium entries. Toho’s doing quite well in this new era of Japanese Godzilla films.
Last edited by Rodan on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.