Godzilla Monster Planet: Is it good/okay? ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Re: Is it good/okay? ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS

Post by Pacfanweb »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Word is that it has boring characters but decent action.
Pretty much.

As I said in the 'give it a grade' thread, I give it a C because of Godzilla being in it. Without him, it's not good.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I wouldn’t even give it that, both characters and action are extremely lackluster, and the battle at the end drags on for far too long to the point it’s just a chore to watch
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

I was mildly disappointed. I don't like this weird half video game half anime format of storytelling. Also, fattest Godzilla ever.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

I went in exited that Godzilla was in anime form with an open mind and with patience but it never paid off.
Too much world-building, backstory, and humans/aliens. On paper the plot sounded likes a good futurist sci-fi story. But it was boring.
If I had the license I would have focused on Godzilla and other monsters.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

A lot of hate for what I think is a pretty good movie. It's true that most of the action is limited to the climax and it definitely feels like the first part of an intended trilogy, but I was mostly satisfied.

At first I was sort of disappointed that Godzilla doesn't really appear in the movie (at least physically) all that much (especially given the final moments), but taking it AS "part one", I think it does its job. The world it sets up is fascinating and rich in detail, the hard sci-fi take on giant monsters is very cool and unique, and I for one thought the animation was very suited to the story the movie was trying to tell. And that XAI song? I mean, come on...such hype. =P

My opinion on it overall might change as the other two entries are released (and potential is either realized or squandered), but as long as some good giant monster fights do happen and they are fun, then I'm 100% okay with the direction of the story. If anything, after 30 some-odd entries in the series, I'm looking for a little bit more than just a monster bash. I mean, sure, I DO want that, but credit where credit' due- I've never seen a giant monster movie quite like this. And that's got to count for something. =)
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

No offense to anyone who just posted here but this thread was sorta intended for when the first anime film just got released and no one knew what to expect. It’s kinda pointless as a thread now.

But yeah, @phantomsdaydreams I completely agree it’s solid for a part 1 and pretty much everything you said.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

It is really quite horrible. I didn't watch the subtitled version, but in particular, the English voice actor for the lead character is absolutely unbearable to listen to. Not only does he sound like an edgy 16 year old, but for no discernible reason whatsoever, he makes this strong exhale noise at the end of literally every sentence he speaks. For the entire movie. About halfway through I gave up and fast forwarded to the end. Which wasn't nearly as badass as the creators clearly thought it would be.

A very sad addition to the franchise.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Believe it or not, I've yet to see this flick. I think the stigmas around action-heavy anime movies have made me a little uninterested, but, I suppose it's worth a chance. I hope to post a review on my little blog, as well.

Edit - http://wastelnd.blogspot.com/2018/07/re ... lanet.html

So, I reviewed it... but definitely didn't enjoy it. Stand back, fans - you might end up hating me. X_X
Last edited by Mechagigan on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

These animes built up the fictional world way better than any Godzilla movie before and honestly it makes up for the plain characters, and the story is slow but interesting if you have at least the attention span of a 18 year old (which for some reason so many GROWN up Kaiju fans don't have with this obsession over monster screentime an "too much talking not enough monster action" lord have mercy smh), there's quite a bit of technobabble but it's not too out there, at least I got most of it and I didn't need to be a scientist or anything. Seems like most of this hate is for the fact that it's very anime in its storytelling and people just can't get over the artstyle (<- this is literally the dumbest bubu you can write off a movie for). It's nothing special, but does what it does well enough.
Last edited by AbudJasemAlBaldawi on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Wario94
Samurai

Post by Wario94 »

I've never watched the first two films because I don't have my Netflix account. One question: does these films on Netflix have the original Japanese language version with English subtitles?
Last edited by Wario94 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wario94 wrote:I've never watched the first two films because I don't have my Netflix account. One question: does these films on Netflix have the original Japanese language version with English subtitles?
Yeah they do.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Wario94 wrote:I've never watched the first two films because I don't have my Netflix account. One question: does these films on Netflix have the original Japanese language version with English subtitles?
You can pick in the options from languages and subtitles.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

Honestly I'd appreciate a little more Godzilla stuff (I always watch a monster movie for the monsters rather than the plot), but the plot is interesting and I like the characters.

Added in 46 seconds:
Is saying I want more Godzilla considered a spoiler, by the way?

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Worldbuilding is all fine and good, but when you're working in a visual medium, you shouldn't make 90% of it communicated through dialogue. Show us the downfall of earth - show us why or how Godzilla is so insanely powerful compared to the other monsters - show us why we should care about these characters losses.

Speaking specifically for movie uno.
Last edited by Mechagigan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Mechagigan wrote:Worldbuilding is all fine and good, but when you're working in a visual medium, you shouldn't make 90% of it communicated through dialogue. Show us the downfall of earth - show us why or how Godzilla is so insanely powerful compared to the other monsters - show us why we should care about these characters losses.

Speaking specifically for movie uno.
Agree with this 100%. The little intro in the very beginning was so great but it was SO short.

Added in 1 minute 26 seconds:
HillyHulk wrote: Is saying I want more Godzilla considered a spoiler, by the way?
No, I don't think so. It's pretty well known how little screen time he actually has in both films by now.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Soooo was that battle with MechaG the battle of the century?

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I found the second one to better than the first, but that isn't saying much. They're two of the worst Godzilla movies ever.

My thoughts on the first one:
I didn't like this. The story is overcomplicated and your hit with massive info dump at right the start. Some things don't make sense, like why are two alien races when one would have worked. It's not like they do anything to make looking any different from the humans. the dialogue is dull and repetitive honestly take a drink every time the main character say baster, You'll be pickled in one time. the colour is dull and lifeless, everything either being cold and grey, or blue, or brown. the animation is bad, the human characters the first thing that enters my head upon seeing them was, the puppets in Thunderbirds had more facial expression.
The voice acting is overly repetitive and everyone seeming to have one emotion: ANGER! I like the music for the most part, but at one the music becomes painful, sounding like a cat playing with a broken synthesizer.
The design used for Godzilla, while not the worst, is petty bad. They used the Monstervieres design as based and turned him into a plant. The colour they used is dull, one shade of ugly dirt brown. In animation, the big G holds up no better than the rest. He bearly move, He just stands still. In fact, you don't see his legs at all. Giving me the feeling that the animators could not be bothered to animate him walking. I honestly feel that the animation company spent to much time designing the weapons and vehicles.
The other monsters aren't treated any better. the new monster the Servum is underused and seems like an afterthought, as they only a momentary distraction. Other monsters appear at the start in a blink and you'll miss them cameos, the worst being a quick shot of the rotting corpse of Rodan and Anguirus.

The second is pretty much the same as the first, only with brighter colours. Mechagodzilla is completely wasted in this choir of a movie. This whole thing is nothing more than wasted potential.
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The angst is a huge pet peeve of mine, for sure. I think that's why I don't like the vast majority of anime films, besides Ghibli type pictures - male oriented anime is always very, very upset. It gets grating when everything is just another reason for captain macho to have a monologue about the word bastard. In my review, i called the main lead "mister grumpypants", because that's all I could remember him by.
Last edited by Mechagigan on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Recently watching it, my thoughts are almost the same as the first film, but I did enjoy this film more.

The characters are a tad more fleshed out (not by much), and the soundtrack still isn't too memorable. The story is what I like in both films, but the concept they went for using Mechagodzilla was definitely the coolest idea this series has created so far. I only wish it could have been executed better.
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla himself was sadly a wasted character........
Also the action is way better and Godzilla was more intimidating.
Spoiler:
Ghidorah possibly appearing in the third film sounds awesome. I'm curious at how he'll look in this universe.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

BARAGONBREH wrote:the English voice actor for the lead character is absolutely unbearable to listen to. Not only does he sound like an edgy 16 year old, but for no discernible reason whatsoever, he makes this strong exhale noise at the end of literally every sentence he speaks. For the entire movie.
I watched it with subs the first time. Watching it again for review purposes now and decided to watch the dub. I couldn't handle it and had to switch back to subs.

I can think of one reason for the strong exhale noise, but there is no reason it should ever be that loud while talking.