GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse (novel)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Re: GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse (novel)

Post by Destorogoji »

Even if Hedorah survived somehow, it's heavily implied every monster on Earth besides Godzilla and Mothra's egg is dead or mutated to imitate Godzilla after the 20,000 year jump.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

King of the Monsters wrote:Hedorah might be dead. The novel just says he ran out of pollutants to consume and disappeared. That could mean he starved to death and dissipated or is still lurking somewhere.
There's actually tons of monsters that are either name dropped or have multiples of. Hell, all we're introduced to in the novel is 'Varan II'. Where the hell did Varan one go?
Even if Hedorah survived somehow, it's heavily implied every monster on Earth besides Godzilla and Mothra's egg is dead or mutated to imitate Godzilla after the 20,000 year jump.
But how can a cloud die? Hell, Hedorah most likely could have beaten Godzilla, seeing how easily he dissolved Anguirus I and Rodan I.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^^If Godzilla terraformed the earth and wiped out humanity then presumably it would weaken and eventually die from the lack of pollution materials to feed on.

As a sorta update, the novel translation is still happening, but I’m way too busy with school(it’s my final semester of college), and I’m starting an application for a job that allows me to move to japan next year+working everyday so I really don’t have a lot of free time.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:^^^If Godzilla terraformed the earth and wiped out humanity then presumably it would weaken and eventually die from the lack of pollution materials to feed on.

As a sorta update, the novel translation is still happening, but I’m way too busy with school(it’s my final semester of college), and I’m starting an application for a job that allows me to move to japan next year+working everyday so I really don’t have a lot of free time.
Yeah I saw that you were mentioned in Wikizilla's latest video.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Last edited by Godzillian on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Godzillian wrote:Third book announced
https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME/stat ... 94272?s=19
Nice. Hoping to learn more about the aliens and get more background on Ghidorah.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzillian wrote:Third book announced
https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME/stat ... 94272?s=19
Not related to Renji Oki's novels unfortunately, it's a totally different author doing a novelization of Planet of the Monsters.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

A novelization of part one? Isn't the manga essentially doing that? I enjoyed part one, but I can only see so much of it without getting deja vu.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:A novelization of part one? Isn't the manga essentially doing that? I enjoyed part one, but I can only see so much of it without getting deja vu.
I know right? Do they seriously expect fans to buy part 1 in three separate forms of media? I know some of us will but I also know most of us will only buy one, maybe two max.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Based on what some friends of mine said it appears they’re really trying to push for this japan and make it more of a multimedia franchise. It’s actually not uncommon for many other Japanese series to have multiple forms of media from movie to manga, to book.

Then keep in mind that manga and books in japan are like 500¥. Movie ticket prices are low too, so realistically all three forms together are less then 20. It makes sense in japan but not if you’re getting it here and importing
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Dv-218 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/GMANonScifie ... 1870978048

Lmao this is glorious. Poor Bagan :lol:
Not mentioned in that post, but Oki wasn't sure if he could include Bagan in the novels due to being unsure of his copyright status, so he opted to use another (unspecified) monster. Curious how he didn't know, since Bagan's officially been a Toho monster since Super Godzilla.

In the same interview, Oki mentioned how he was brainstorming ideas for SpaceGodzilla if he wrote any future novels, so I guess SpaceG was never seriously considered up to this point.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/GMANonScifie ... 1870978048

Lmao this is glorious. Poor Bagan :lol:
Not mentioned in that post, but Oki wasn't sure if he could include Bagan in the novels due to being unsure of his copyright status, so he opted to use another (unspecified) monster. Curious how he didn't know, since Bagan's officially been a Toho monster since Super Godzilla.

In the same interview, Oki mentioned how he was brainstorming ideas for SpaceGodzilla if he wrote any future novels, so I guess SpaceG was never seriously considered up to this point.
Hmm, interesting. So the main reason he did not include Bagan was because he was not sure of his copyright status...Which basically means Bagan could have been in the novel all along.
Damn, the poor three-horned bastard has no luck :lol:

Honestly curious about the case with SpaceGodzilla. If he was never seriously considered up to this point, why was he one of the monsters that were listed as part of the universe back when "Monster Planet" was first announced? Could that have been a mistranslation?
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wonder how the copyright status of Bagan is handled by Toho. Could mean all those screaming for a Bagan figure will be waiting a long time

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Dv-218 wrote:Honestly curious about the case with SpaceGodzilla. If he was never seriously considered up to this point, why was he one of the monsters that were listed as part of the universe back when "Monster Planet" was first announced? Could that have been a mistranslation?
The news article is floating around somewhere, it definitely wasn't a mistranslation. But it could've been miscommunication on the article writer's part.
Godzillian wrote:I wonder how the copyright status of Bagan is handled by Toho. Could mean all those screaming for a Bagan figure will be waiting a long time
Was wondering this too, but it's been reported previously how companies like Tamashii or Bandai Namco had Toho's permission to use Bagan whenever they liked, so he's probably handled no differently from other monsters. There was a Japanese user on Twitter who made a garage kit of Bagan fairly recently who was in the same boat as Oki (unsure of Bagan's status), but when he approached Toho for their permission to show off his figure, they gave their blessings without issue.
/crawls back under rock

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

So is a third novel in the works or? Do I gotta wait to see my bois Gaira and Sanda? Or Giant Sea Snake?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LamangoKaijura wrote:So is a third novel in the works or? Do I gotta wait to see my bois Gaira and Sanda? Or Giant Sea Snake?
Gotta wait. Author's been tossing around ideas in various interviews, but no guarantees.
/crawls back under rock

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Regarding SpaceGodzilla, it may simply come down to Renji Oki being unable to find a way to work him into the novels, as he has admitted. It's entirely possible Toho decided that SpaceGodzilla existed in the universe and asked Oki to use him, but Oki just couldn't find a way to fit him in. In the same interview where he mentions Bagan, Oki says that he couldn't find a way to use SpaceGodzilla, but proposes a hypothetical scenario for a third novel where he would have SpaceGodzilla be a space monster who attacks the civilization established by the passengers of the Oratio.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

King of the Monsters wrote:Regarding SpaceGodzilla, it may simply come down to Renji Oki being unable to find a way to work him into the novels, as he has admitted. It's entirely possible Toho decided that SpaceGodzilla existed in the universe and asked Oki to use him, but Oki just couldn't find a way to fit him in. In the same interview where he mentions Bagan, Oki says that he couldn't find a way to use SpaceGodzilla, but proposes a hypothetical scenario for a third novel where he would have SpaceGodzilla be a space monster who attacks the civilization established by the passengers of the Oratio.
Wish he was the space monster that appears in the third movie but instead we get the overused ghidorah. And I don't even know if I'll be impressed or disappointed with the new take their going with
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I used to hate the "I wish it was SpaceGodzilla" argument but now I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'm getting kind of sick of new versions of the Big 5. The only exception is the Legendary films because that's a completely new playing field for the Big 5 and I'm very curious how they'll be portrayed in an American-made film. But these anime films? I can't help but think they'd be much better if they placed more one-shot kaiju in these roles.