Anime Trilogy: Would you have preferred a series?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Anime Trilogy: Would you have preferred a series?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don't want to sound ungrateful. I am THRILLED at how many avenues we are getting Godzilla content through. I am really stoked to see this movie, and especially excited it's part of a trilogy. But, pointless, not seeing the bigger picture discussions are what we do here (proudly), so I might as well ask, who else would have preferred a series over a film(s)? I would love to see Godzilla seriously approached through an episodic format. Also, how great would a kickass anime-style opening credits with Godzilla be?
Last edited by Arbok on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: Would you have preferred a series?

Post by vibramrunner »

I'm ok with a trilogy and not a series if it stays that way. A series requires characters to be fully fleshed out and developed, and being as though many animes are based on manga or comics, I feel like starting from scratch is problematic. You're essentially starting with the focal point of the story, Godzilla, and then building downward from there. The way I see it: If this trilogy provides interesting storylines, backstories and character motivations, a series becomes feasible. But they're doing it the right way starting with movies.

Also, the last thing I'd want is for a Godzilla series to start, really like it, and then the next season never gets renewed. Oh, no, would I not be happy. So in that sense alone, I'm very happy we just have the trilogy right now.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I don't know the quality of the film, so I'll answer this question after I see it.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

A series would more than likely have a lower budget on top of a more rushed production schedule and longer overall runtime. We're better off this way.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

TheGregzilla
Ronin

Post by TheGregzilla »

I don't think Episodic works well with the whole idea of Godzilla. Kaiju tend to get in, bust up the city, and get out. Its not a very long process. The only way a series would work is if 1 whole season was built around just 1 kaiju attack, and then it would have to be paced pretty slowly.

Not to mention after the first attack is over, then what? 20 Episodes of them rebuilding the city? It wouldn't be very satisfying just having a "20 Years later" screen at the begnining of every few episodes, but on the other hand, As fast as Godzilla can destroy things, every few episodes he would 'finish' the city he was in. And at some point the humans would just be expecting him and be ready and waiting.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I think it's best we kept it as a movie. I hate to sound cynical but a lot of TV shows, or even theatrical series these days seem to wait way too long on build up with very little pay off to explanation as to what's going on. I'd much rather we cut to the chase and keep the pace going than get bogged down or run into other issues like lowered budget and less time to polish the effects.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

A movie trilogy in this style seems good enough. You never know though, if these films do really well Toho might produce a 1 season long anime show. Anime is extremely cheap, so I think the possibility is there.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think at this point I would have preferred the film be a 2D/3D hybrid like the Rebuild of Evangelion films (which look phenomenal) over a purely 3D film because I'm seeing a lot of people complain about the animation. Some people might not give it a chance due to that alone which is a shame for Toho's first animated outing for the character, plus the film is playing with a lot of concepts that are ideal for animation over live action.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I'd love a series, exploring the starts of the monster apocalypse.
But like IR said, that'd cost Toho money, and they ain't about wasting cash.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

The only kind of series I'd want is an Agents of Shield-esque companion series. Showing aftermath and side characters and backstory, with just the occasional serious run in with something major. An episodic, monster of the week kinda thing would burn itself out fast probably. Of course I also want the movies to be happening too. Basically I want everything. Moar Godzilla lol.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m not going to spoil much in the film, but the format of the film actually makes it seem like this easily could’ve been an anime but they just made it one long thing.

When watching the film, note that every 20-23 mins, there’s a scene where an episode would end on. There’s either a cliff hanger or something to end on. Effectively it’s the first five episodes wrapped up in one movie. Given that there’s three films, that’s like a 15 episode anime which is a good number.

Also, Netflix lists it as P1:EP1, implying that beyond the initial trilogy, there will be possibly a P2 or even 3, making it seem like a series.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

After watching the film, no. It would've taken at least three or four episodes to get going, had it been a series. I'm glad we got movies.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

an OVA or something for the kaiju wars would be nice
your source of self destruction

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

master_of_monsters wrote:an OVA or something for the kaiju wars would be nice
Apparently a manga is gonna do that, or the novel did but it hasn’t been translated, yet.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I thought the manga was just an adaptation of the film, or am I misremembering things?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GalacticPetey wrote:I thought the manga was just an adaptation of the film, or am I misremembering things?
According to what I read it’s a more fleshed out version, and that could mean a variety of things. That could mean anything from adapting the novel as well, or just including individual chapters or scenes dedicated to things like Dogora attacking. It could also provide some side notes that could make things more interesting.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Maybe a prequel about the kaiju attacks before humanity's departure... Buuuuut that was before the novel, so I'm fine with the novel and the trilogy.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destorogoji wrote:Maybe a prequel about the kaiju attacks before humanity's departure... Buuuuut that was before the novel, so I'm fine with the novel and the trilogy.
Tbh, Kaiju for me always work waaay better in a visual format, so even if it was a retelling of parts of the no do Id be all down for it.

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

After watching Part 1 Im glad they made it into a trilogy. Knowing the main backlash for G14 is the scarceness we actually get to see Godzilla, Im not positive the satisfaction overall would be as well received. I myself can see how a series would work and could get invested into it, but others could find it to get dull. Especially if theyre expecting a kaiju battle every week either against the humans or between the kaiju that has to up the ante each match almost to fit in with this chaotic/catastrophic storyline. Not that I have an idea of any kaiju that could compare to that epic end to the movie.
Last edited by OpteraKaiju92 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

This movie just SCREAMED series to me. It would have been served much much better by being a standard 13 episode anime. The beginning and ending were too rushed, too many important bits glossed over, and the middle was just totally bogged down with tech jargon to pad it out it seemed. I enjoyed it dont get me wrong, but it just seems like a series format would have been better.