Do you think Monster Planet should get an English dub?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Do you think Monster Planet should get an English dub?

Yes
60%
No
9%
I don't mind
31%

Total votes: 45

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do you think Monster Planet should get an English dub?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pacfanweb wrote:It's dubbed, and either the dialogue or the captions are horribly done. Much of the time the dialogue doesn't even remotely resemble what the captions are saying.
The captions on the dubs are just the Japanese subtitles, and while different they’re fairly accurate towards the dub.

Actually the dub is pretty good, and there’s a nice amount of languages they translated it to.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:It's dubbed, and either the dialogue or the captions are horribly done. Much of the time the dialogue doesn't even remotely resemble what the captions are saying.
The captions on the dubs are just the Japanese subtitles, and while different they’re fairly accurate towards the dub.

Actually the dub is pretty good, and there’s a nice amount of languages they translated it to.
I'd love to know what you consider "fairly accurate".

"Fairly accurate" to me would mean that it's nearly word-for-word with the English I'm hearing from the audio. It's not. Many times, what's said and what's in the captions bear no resemblance to each other. It's just horribly done. Clearly, whoever did them didn't bother to listen to the audio.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pacfanweb wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I'd love to know what you consider "fairly accurate".

"Fairly accurate" to me would mean that it's nearly word-for-word with the English I'm hearing from the audio. It's not. Many times, what's said and what's in the captions bear no resemblance to each other. It's just horribly done. Clearly, whoever did them didn't bother to listen to the audio.
There’s inherently no such thing as a perfect translation. The subtitles aren’t even “technically accurate” at conveying exact translations, but if they did it would be awkward and stagnant. If you’ve ever read different book translations, let’s say Franz Kafka’s metamorphosis, you’ll notice two different translations have different words and sentence structure but still convey the exact same meaning.

As someone who speaks Japanese it’s really obvious a lot of these little examples, where the subs convey a slightly different meaning than the actual Japanese dialogue.
Just to give you a small example, there’s numerous moments where Yuko shouts SENPAI at Haruo. Sensei just means upper class man/superior in Japanese and in some ways is a proper noun and just can be used to dignify a person in place of their name and can imply a sense of endearment. Same thing for Kopai. “Senpai did X and Kopai did Y”. Yet, the sub just switches it to “HARUO”.

Obviously, that’s not directly exact or accurate, it’s not literal in saying ,”UPPERCLASSMAN!” Or “BOSS”. Subtitles are never as accurate as people want to believe.

Both the sub and dub are fine. The dub doesn’t remove any critical info, and doesn’t butcher or change the tone. It’s pretty good and worth a watch to focus more on the visuals.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

All I am saying is, the audio and the subtitles should match. Doesn't matter if they both get the point across. They should match. Some folks can't hear well and depend on the subtitles to fill in the blanks.
If they aren't accurate, like when they mentioned finding a habitable planet and the subtitles said "UNinhabitable", it leaves questions.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Pacfanweb wrote:All I am saying is, the audio and the subtitles should match. Doesn't matter if they both get the point across. They should match. Some folks can't hear well and depend on the subtitles to fill in the blanks.
If they aren't accurate, like when they mentioned finding a habitable planet and the subtitles said "UNinhabitable", it leaves questions.
Happens all the time in Godzilla subs- they never match with the English dialogue.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:All I am saying is, the audio and the subtitles should match. Doesn't matter if they both get the point across. They should match. Some folks can't hear well and depend on the subtitles to fill in the blanks.
Happens all the time in Godzilla subs- they never match with the English dialogue.
Yes, I'm aware. However, this is 2018. It's not acceptable anymore. Not with the connectivity we have with each other these days.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wait I’m confused, are you saying the dub should just be a literal voiceover of the sub, word for word?

If you’re saying you want regular close captioning I agree.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I mean, if folks who are hard of hearing are gonna read subtitles, why not just watch the Japanese version subbed?

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

UltramanGoji wrote:I mean, if folks who are hard of hearing are gonna read subtitles, why not just watch the Japanese version subbed?
It's not me being hard of hearing. I have kids who sleep early. When I watch a movie, I can't have the surround sound rocking...and dialogue is notoriously hard to hear in surround formats...it's designed to be played loud. Which is a no-go at night. So I use captions.

Not only for that, but also captions often fill in details such as using descriptive terms that tell you why someone reacts to something off screen, things like that. Or simply has dialogue that you can't hear no matter how loud you have it. "someone off screen screaming" or "low rumble". Stuff like that.

And yes, the captions should be word-for-word exactly what the actors on screen are saying. Absolutely. Why wouldn't it be?

I could almost understand in the old movies, where they probably sent the script to one place to have the captions done, then another to get some half-hearted voice actors to dub it in English. And there are some differences.

But in this movie, there are some HUGE differences. And in this day and age, there's no excuse for it. All parties involved can have immediate access to whatever they need to get it right.
Last edited by Pacfanweb on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Uh, sorry I’m kinda confused if we’re talking about subtitles versus closed captioning. If you’re talking about that then sure, we should get that, but at this point as others just said, mute it and put on the Japanese track with eng subs. Or watch it at a normal hour?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Just to give you a small example, there’s numerous moments where Yuko shouts SENPAI at Haruo. Sensei just means upper class man/superior in Japanese and in some ways is a proper noun and just can be used to dignify a person in place of their name and can imply a sense of endearment. Same thing for Kopai. “Senpai did X and Kopai did Y”. Yet, the sub just switches it to “HARUO”.
Yeah, that distracted me, just like the Kiryu/MechaG thing. It's jarring when you notice the difference...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!