Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of the animated movie, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle and a unnamed sequel.
Monster X
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Postby Monster X » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Breakdown wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:What size is Mechagodzilla supposed to be? Seems like it was built to fight a 50m Godzilla before it go scrapped by said Godzilla.

I don't think Godzilla destroyed it, more like they just abandoned Mechagodzilla because something about it's AI not being ready to be brought online. Also one of the aliens says "Who will Mechagodzilla sink it's fangs into after Godzilla?", implying that the AI could go rogue and attack humanity. Kind of a neat reference to GxMG if that was the intent.

I think the debate of "Who will Mechagodzilla sink it's fangs into after Godzilla?" is actually a lot more sinister.

It blatantly clear that both the Exif and Bilusaludo were going to try and colonise earth for themselves before they realised Godzilla was to powerful. Much like their old counter parts, the Exif were going to do so under the pretence of friendship and religious brainwashing while the Bilusaludo were going to with technology and military might. They promise that if we give them the resources, they will build a weapon to beat our greatest foe.....only to then turn it on us and the Exif once the job was completed. But Mecha G would not activate in time.

So both alien races came looking to f##k us over in our hour of need only to get just as badly curbstomped by Godzilla, putting them in the same lifeboat as us. And yet they still want to take over....well the Exif seem to want to anyway. They seem to have been pulling the strings all the way back to earth.

Added in 1 hour 22 minutes 40 seconds:
Ok I'm going to admit my bias on this because this film series is shaping up to be my Godzilla Dream come true, but while I liked it from the first few images we saw after seeing more of its profile I really like Mecha G IV (what I'm calling it until we get a proper name). How its going to play into the next movie I don't know, if it was built to G Earths height 20'000 years ago ...... well its screwed without a battle city to back it up or another Filius to go up against.

Last edited by Monster X on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great King Ghidorah - The Planet Eater

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Anyone notice a small reference with that balloon thing? Like I remember seeing something like it before in the Showa Era......

Overall I thought it was a pretty good film, I thought the build up was great. I liked that little jab at the internet/youtube with one of the Bilsards saying: "Woah 400 views in just 20 seconds".

I'll post more thoughts later.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

Monster X
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Monster X » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Anyone notice a small reference with that balloon thing? Like I remember seeing something like it before in the Showa Era......

Overall I thought it was a pretty good film, I thought the build up was great. I liked that little jab at the internet/youtube with one of the Bilsards saying: "Woah 400 views in just 20 seconds".

I'll post more thoughts later.

I think that's from Son of Godzilla, very fitting.
Last edited by Monster X on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great King Ghidorah - The Planet Eater

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 pm

The whole balloon thing felt like a very obvious nod to Son of Godzilla. There was another similar nod but I forget where it was.

Actually, this felt really similar to a darker showa entry. Like the subtle nods and the aliens.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Fully expecting the next two movies to be about each alien species betraying Earth.

Since the next one seems to prominently feature Mechagodzilla, I expect the Bilusaldo aliens to use it against humanity, along with maybe the other tech they created like the exosuits and tanks.

Third part might be the coming of the "other destroyers" mentioned by the Exif priest. They might use Ghidorah/SpaceGodzilla/whoever as a religious rapture event.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff-Goldblum1
Interpol Agent

Postby Jeff-Goldblum1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Can I just say i'm glad aliens are finally back in Godzilla. I thought the future Godzilla concept might have been the next logical step to go after Godzilla: Final Wars. But that wasn't the case, up until now I guess.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Can I just say i'm glad aliens are finally back in Godzilla. I thought the future Godzilla concept might have been the next logical step to go after Godzilla: Final Wars. But that wasn't the case, up until now I guess.

And Mechagodzilla is an alien weapon again.

If anything I worry about if Monster Island will ever come back, heck we got a monster planet before a new Monster Island. :lol:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Living Corpse wrote:If anything I worry about if Monster Island will ever come back, heck we got a monster planet before a new Monster Island. :lol:

I wholly expect a Monster Island of sorts to appear in the MonsterVerse at some point. But I'm certainly content with returning aliens.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

SenseiTeriyakiV
EDF Soldier

Postby SenseiTeriyakiV » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

So... I'm a bit surprised by the after credits. I was expecting it to be about mechagodzilla, but there was just that weird earth remanent human scene.

Anyways, I really liked the movie. A whole ton more than i expected tbh.
Looking forward to part 2.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 pm

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:So... I'm a bit surprised by the after credits. I was expecting it to be about mechagodzilla, but there was just that weird earth remanent human scene.

How much you wanna bet we get rule 34 before we even get a name?

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

I'm pretty excited to see what they do with Mechagodzilla

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 pm

It's easily among the most unique and interesting universes for Godzilla. It reminded me how crazy Legendary could (should?) make their MonsterVerse.

Actually quite liked the movie.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

SenseiTeriyakiV
EDF Soldier

Postby SenseiTeriyakiV » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:So... I'm a bit surprised by the after credits. I was expecting it to be about mechagodzilla, but there was just that weird earth remanent human scene.

How much you wanna bet we get rule 34 before we even get a name?

i'd bet my left lung it's already happened.

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Postby Scarlet Spider » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 pm

I REALLY enjoyed this. Given what we know about past kaiju on Earth from the reading material, and the three Godzilla killed when he arrived, do you guys think there are others out there? Possibly hiding from him or hibernating? Or do you think Godzilla/offspring went around hunting them down and destroying them?

Also, unlike his children(?), the main Godzilla despite limited screen time gave off some interesting personality traits.

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

I really enjoyed this movie actually. It's not among my favorites, but I really enjoyed the world and this version of Godzilla. I expected to be put off by this version like I was with Shin. But he was pretty fantastic.

Was not a fan of the protagonist at all. The priest character was interesting with his rambling about Godzilla as the arbiter of divine juatice. The aliens are a welcome addition.

I was admittedly kinda pissed they killed off the younger Godzilla so easily. Luckily the big guy got some swift revenge. It's weird. I shouldn't be rooting for this Godzilla. I suppose he's a villain. But I found myself rooting for both of them in the climax. Kinda felt like a kid.

I didn't catch anything about him originating from plants in the film. Maybe I missed it or they just dropped the idea.

GalacticPetey
Futurian

Postby GalacticPetey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 pm

So, with the second film focusing on Mechagodzilla, it seems pretty obvious that the third film will be about one of the other "world destroyers" mentioned by the priest. Spacegodzilla makes the most sense to me. I'd rather Ghidorah be left to the MonsterVerse, same with Mothra and Rodan but it seems like the post credits tease sets up the possibility of Mothra. Someone did mention Leo, and I would totally be cool with that.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Jeff-Goldblum1
Interpol Agent

Postby Jeff-Goldblum1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm

I have rewatched the ending about 5 or 6 times now.

I'd have to say, the scene where the mountain erupts and Godzilla Urth appears from the dust and ash, he looks damned mighty if you ask me.

I also picked up on a touch that makes him seem large and immense, where he opens his mouth to roar, his face makes the sound of crackling rocks like an avalanche.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm

The smoke is really well textured in that scene^

And Godzilla looks a little jittery there, but I think that’s intentional to make the size look better.

Destorogoji
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destorogoji » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
TheInfiniteAeon wrote:Also I scoured the credits. She isn’t credited in the end dub, but her name might be listed in the Spanish Dub as Ancianna or something. That or “girl”.

Definitely "Girl".
Anciana stands for "old woman", I believe it refers to that old woman in the ship being happy for going back to Earth.

Added in 3 minutes 18 seconds:
Also, Who might be that Exif's God? A new entity for the mythos? Or maybe the return of other kaiju?
I think it would be cool if it's Mothra, but the ending girl's costume made me think it twice.

Oh, and I loved so much the nod to the space kaiju.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Exif’s god is most likely Spacegodzilla. I just noticed it, but don’t the Exifs gave some sort of crystals? Either that or KG, but SG seems more likely as Meti recognizes big daddy Godzilla sort of.

Analyzing the Exifs should be interesting. Even if they are nomadic, it’s unclear if they just worship the monsters, embrace it, or have some bigger religion. Like if they’re consciously bad or evil, or if they really think they’re doing a good thing.

Return to “GODZILLA Anime Trilogy (2017-Current)”