Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That’s actually pretty rad if that’s the case. Depending how it’s done (I haven’t seen it) then that’ll make me happy. I stated this early but we’ve already got a few amazing MG fights, so something original, even if ts not visceral is cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Tarbosaurus wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:I thought Mechagodzilla broke down its body to become the city?
At which point it basically stopped being Mechagodzilla and started being something else. The movie plot bears a close resemblance to Gunhed and that scrapped Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress script than a MG film.
I feel he's more like the Berzerk concept than Asuka fortress
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Oh I'm not calling it bad per say, I just felt like we were promised something very different that was very easy to pull off and yet the chance was ignored. I will argue this actually isn't something very different though because the fight was a bunch of high speed fliers distracting a big, lumbering Godzilla into a trap to exploit a weakness. It was pretty similar to the last movie.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I wonder if the direct fight wasn't possible due to technical limitations. We have concepts of Mechagodzilla moving and even having a giant lance. I wonder if Polygon made the design too complex to render with their current computers to go toe to toe with a fairly detailed 3D Godzilla at the same time. This is just speculation before seeing the film but I've done Computer modeling before and it is very taxing on computers, especially with more polygons and detail.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I think, as Monstrosities speculated in his review, it may also be that the merchandising ran away with a potential opportunity the movie wasn't interested in, rather than the movie letting down what the merchandise ran with.

I think the city angle is interesting and completely works for what the films do thematically. I'd be surprised to hear a full-on monster fight was at any point seriously worked into the script.

But as these are niche releases and Toho runs on merchandising, perhaps, contrary to what the creators' intentions were, they pushed the Mechagodzilla angle regardless.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Again, its the marketing that causes the disappointment.

With so much Mechagodzilla merch and hype of an Animated Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla showdown, not getting it in the film feels like a cheat.

Now if they had promoted it as Godzilla facing an entire mechanized city, and then revealed in the film that Mechagodzilla is the "brain" of that city, that would have probably been received as a nice twist or nod. Like "Oh cool, they worked in Mechagodzilla when I wasn't expecting it".

It kind of reminds me of what Marvel did with Iron Man 3 and The Mandarin. Within the context of the film, what they did mostly works, but when you take into account that they marketed the heck out of something and then didn't deliver, its easy to see why the audience feels cheated.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Mechagodzilla is 50 meters, vs Godzilla's 300 meters. Not to mention no sign of a Mechagodzilla fight in the promotional material. Nobody following this should be surprised.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Mechagodzilla is 50 meters, vs Godzilla's 300 meters. Not to mention no sign of a Mechagodzilla fight in the promotional material. Nobody following this should be surprised.
Exactly! There never was something mentioning a battle between them in promotional material. I blame the translation of the title, tho, it is more ambiguous than the japanese name.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

There were press releases for the film unambiguously promising the “greatest battle between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla in history,” however it never said it would be Godzilla and Mechagodzilla physically fighting in the traditional sense.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

B34sT wrote:I wonder if the direct fight wasn't possible due to technical limitations. We have concepts of Mechagodzilla moving and even having a giant lance. I wonder if Polygon made the design too complex to render with their current computers to go toe to toe with a fairly detailed 3D Godzilla at the same time. This is just speculation before seeing the film but I've done Computer modeling before and it is very taxing on computers, especially with more polygons and detail.
Which is why I'm wondering if they plan on having Ghidorah actually fighting Godzilla in the finale. I'm thinking something very different with Ghidorah. He might not actually be a "Monster", but a flash of gold spikey lights that fly by and kills anything it touches...
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Given how they handeled MG, Ghidorah probably will end up being some energy-based life form that loosely resembles a 3 headed being.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

I'm hoping he doesn't end up like Galactus in FF Rise of The Silver Surfer, but I wouldn't be surprised I guess.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Whatever happened to SpaceGodzilla.

I feel teased.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Breakdown wrote:Given how they handeled MG, Ghidorah probably will end up being some energy-based life form that loosely resembles a 3 headed being.
But what if "Ghidorah" is the Exif's word for "Spacegodzilla". :shock:

Now THAT'D be a Urobutcher plot twist.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Breakdown wrote:Given how they handeled MG, Ghidorah probably will end up being some energy-based life form that loosely resembles a 3 headed being.

I don't think THAT could happen
Is it even legal?
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not going to happen, Toho would never allow that.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:

Is it even legal?
Urobuchi's been pulling carp like that for years and I don't think he's been arrested yet. But UltraGoji might have a point...we'll have to see.

Not betting any glass marbles, just an idea.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:

Is it even legal?
Urobuchi's been pulling carp like that for years and I don't think he's been arrested yet. But UltraGoji might have a point...we'll have to see.

Not betting any glass marbles, just an idea.
I'm with UltraGoji here. Toho has always been very clear in giving names and trademarking the monsters (remember the Destroyer-Destoroyah thing) to now allow him just to do a "plot twist" (which would be more infuriating than surprising for me tbh)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Plus it would make the tease of three golden dragon heads pretty meaningless.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

I'm really looking forward to seeing Ghidorah here since his debut in the legendary films is now even father away. This movie will hopefully ease the wait.