Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by Maritonic »

JesstrK wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Why do people tag spoilers in a Spoilers thread?

Using Ghidorah instead of Spacegodzilla is one of my biggest upsets with this entire trilogy.
I like Ghidorah better than SG anyway so I'm happy with it, however I do sympathize with you guys that your favorite monster didn't get in, I know how it feels. Honestly though, in my opinion, the chance to realize Godzilla's archnemisis in anime form was probably just too good to pass up, and I for one am very excited for it, especially after seeing what they did with Godzilla himself. It also fits well with the alien civilizations and destroyed planets, etc. Not to mention, the classic world destroyer Ghidorah hasn't been a main threat in any Godzilla media since DAM in 1968 (unless you count Keizer), so I think this was overdue, especially considering Spacegodzilla has gotten a lot of love over the last 2 decades (final boss of two video games in a row and essentially Godzilla's archenemy in the IDW comic series) while Ghidorah mostly got the shaft. This also makes the delays to KG's big screen debut in the Monsterverse more bearable. All in all, I see this as a good thing. If the series continues after the trilogy, I imagine we would get Spacegodzilla.

Ironically, Ghidorah is my favorite Godzilla kaiju. Not Spacegodzilla.

I just felt Spacegodzilla was better suited for the over-all aesthetic this anime set up, and it was a fantastic opportunity to bring back a vastly underused kaiju when Ghidorah is criminally over used. You mention his MonsterVerse appearance; this means double Ghidorah within a year. To me, that's a bit much especially when Spacegodzilla EASILY could have worked just as well if not better.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Anyone else hope that Part 3 is around two hours long? I think that would be enough time to wrap everything up.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GojiDog wrote: So yeah, this movie has a lot of "I like that, but" or "I see what they were going for, but" in it.

I am really at a loss on how to fully sum up how I felt about it. Again, I think I'm going to have to give it another viewing.
Pretty much sums up my feels. I'd say it was good, but nothing spectacular. It's definitely an improvement from the last film but not without its flaws. Folks are giving it an immense amount of praise that I personally feel it doesn't really deserve.

I like Haruo's evolution, the worldbuilding with the aliens, the final confrontation with Godzilla and the music

But...

There's not really enough of an arc for Yuko that makes me feel sorry for her apparent death at the end. I'm kind of just left with an "oh, alright" feeling than anything. The Houtua are the big stinger at the end of the last film and they don't really have much of a presence in this one. They're basically exposition and Act 1 set pieces that are quickly shoved aside to focus on Mechagodzilla City. I think the film neglected to make a bigger deal about the fact that humans (basically) survived on Earth. It feels like the characters were a little too unfazed by this. The idea that they're also part insect is something I think is fascinating but might have to wait for a prequel novel to actually go in depth with as I doubt Planet Eater is gonna develop that any more.

So it's a conundrum. I like the film as a whole and think its an improvement in some aspects over the first one, but it also makes some of the same mistakes. In essence, it's two steps forward, one step back.
Maritonic wrote: Using Ghidorah instead of Spacegodzilla is one of my biggest upsets with this entire trilogy.
I don't think SpaceGodzilla would thematically fit with what I'm thinking they wanna do with this series. His origins are so explicitly tied with Godzilla that it would take some major finagling to actually make it work with the same story.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote: Using Ghidorah instead of Spacegodzilla is one of my biggest upsets with this entire trilogy.
I don't think SpaceGodzilla would thematically fit with what I'm thinking they wanna do with this series. His origins are so explicitly tied with Godzilla that it would take some major finagling to actually make it work with the same story.
Fair enough, but they could have made it work. Saying Godzilla cells were on their ships or something. But, I see your point.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Finally watched it, just 10 minutes
Definitely a big improvement over the first one.
Haruo's character growth is very decent, and I end up feeling sorry for the guy at the end.
Main Brunette Girl is still annoying and unimportant, no surprises there.
The worldbuilding, the Bilusaludo and the final battle scene are definitely this movie's topworthy moments, and I actually felt invested in those.
But, again, they sacrificed very needed character development on some characters just to spat more tecnobabble, and that's something I can't forgive.
The Hauto (or something like that, I don't remember 100%) were pretty much dull for me, and I only liked the twins. Seriously, they don't speak but they have more character than Main Brunette Girl and others.
Also, I feel we still haven't seen Godzilla do impressive shit, even if he's supposed to be strongest Godzilla there has ever been.
Yes, in the prequel novels he does mouthgaping feats, but I feel they really need to go wild in Planet Eater in order to showcase how powerful this Goji is.

Overall, I enjoyed a quite good deal of the film, and even tho there are parts which became tedious, and the movie still needs to work on character development, I think it's a great jump from the bottomless pit where the original was.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Hmm. This one's a tough one, indeed. Honestly, while the start was a little slow, I can't say I didn't enjoy any part of the film. In truth, I'd have to say I really liked it. The focus on the Bilusolado and the idea of MechaG City/nano metal and how that plays similarly to GEarth were awesome. Haruo even got some solid development. And that techno score for the activation of the city? So good! As someone else on these boards said though, a good film and a good kaiju film are not necessarily the same things. Sadly, I find the lack of both appearance AND will of MechaG very disheartening. Even if it just occasionally cut back to the brain core reacting to the attacks on the city or screeched when it was damaged it would have been enough for me. Maybe even it making decisions the other still living Bilusolado know their mind-only comrades would disagree with could have at least showed a monsterous, corrupting presence. But as it is...I just find it hard to get excited about the movie, despite very much liking it otherwise. It's a tough call. Couldn't we have at least cut back to the brain core shutting down as the final blow landed? =/
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

phantomsdaydreams wrote:And that techno score for the activation of the city? So good!
100% agreed on this one

29:10
Really catchy.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Regarding how SpaceGodzilla could have been handled, I personally liked the idea of running with Metphies' line in the first film saying many planets have been destroyed by creatures "similar to Godzilla." What if the same cycle of evolution that created Godzilla occurred on other planets, except instead of evolving from plant life like Godzilla, a monster evolved from living crystalline minerals? The result would be a monster vaguely similar to Godzilla, except with a crystal motif and perhaps psychic and telekinetic powers instead of Godzilla's electromagnetic powers. I imagined SpaceGodzilla reinvented not as an extraterrestrial clone of Godzilla, but rather an alien planet's equivalent to Godzilla. Perhaps SpaceGodzilla has been around longer than Godzilla and as such has evolved to an even higher state that allows him to travel across planets and terraform their environments using crystals. He arrives to do the same to Earth, which puts him into conflict with Godzilla.

Just my two cents on how it could be handled without requiring the whole "G-Cells in space" origin for SpaceGodzilla. I too would have loved to see SpaceGodzilla utilized in the trilogy as the final foe to capitalize on the potential for an "Earth vs. Space" dynamic. I feel like there would have been a lot of cool possibilities for a revamped and reinvented SpaceGodzilla in the anime universe. Still, can't say I'm disappointed with Ghidorah being the final villain, and I love the cosmic planet eater direction they're taking him.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

I always felt the Galactus route was a natural evolution of the planet destroyer Ghidorah, and I'm surprised it has taken so long for it to be used.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

ManuJM1997 wrote:I always felt the Galactus route was a natural evolution of the planet destroyer Ghidorah, and I'm surprised it has taken so long for it to be used.
Probably because "Planet Destroyer Ghidorah" isn't as big a thing as people like to make it. It's mentioned a couple of times in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and the Xilians are concerned about it in Invasion of the Astro Monster, but Ghidorah is under their control so it's not really relevant. Gigan it's never discussed, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah he's not from space, I don't remember him being from space in the Return of Mothra trilogy, GMK he's not and they never talk about it in Final Wars.

People REAAAAAAALLY like to hype up the Planet Destroyer thing but it's not really that big of a thing. I'm glad they're bringing it back in the anime series, and would like to actually SEE him destroy some planets, though.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Maritonic wrote:I don't remember him being from space in the Return of Mothra trilogy
Grand King Ghidorah was from space.
And agreed, seeing Ghidorah busting some planets onscreen sounds cool :P
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

I bet the Moon will get obliterated in part 3 by Ghidorah.

Ooh man I bet the fight between Godzilla Earth and Ghidorah will be epic - at least they promised a monster shown down this time. (I was fine with the previous two films not having a kaiju fight, it'll make the finale worth it).

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I bet the Moon will get obliterated in part 3 by Ghidorah.

Ooh man I bet the fight between Godzilla Earth and Ghidorah will be epic - at least they promised a monster shown down this time. (I was fine with the previous two films not having a kaiju fight, it'll make the finale worth it).
I would love that. I always wished we got to see Ghidorah level Mars as they talk about in Ghidorah.

Where did they actually promise monster action? Not being snarky, but I know a LOT of people assumed a square off between Mechagodzilla and Godzilla in this one and it didn't happen. So has there been actual confirmation of a fight between the two?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

ManuJM1997 wrote: Also, I feel we still haven't seen Godzilla do impressive shit, even if he's supposed to be strongest Godzilla there has ever been.
Yes, in the prequel novels he does mouthgaping feats, but I feel they really need to go wild in Planet Eater in order to showcase how powerful this Goji is.
Well if Ghidorah really does make Godzilla seem like nothing, he's really gonna need to pull out all the stops in the next film.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Maritonic wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I bet the Moon will get obliterated in part 3 by Ghidorah.

I would love that. I always wished we got to see Ghidorah level Mars as they talk about in Ghidorah.

Where did they actually promise monster action? Not being snarky, but I know a LOT of people assumed a square off between Mechagodzilla and Godzilla in this one and it didn't happen. So has there been actual confirmation of a fight between the two?
Translations of a text from the godzilla anime website said so. Wikizilla.org referenced it in their Godzilla:
Planet Eater
article.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

In City on the Edge of Battle, they established that Godzilla is capable of firing his powerful atomic breath into targets in space.

Ghidorah, who is definitely going to show up in Planet Eater, will come from space.

The image of a more-more-massive-than-Godzilla Earth King Ghidorah coming to Earth and getting shot at in space by Godzilla is just too awesome. Please let this happen movie...pretty please.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

To be fair the official anime site's press releases did say the second film would have "the greatest showdown between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla ever." I guess technically there was one, though not in the traditional sense. Regarding the third film, the site says "完結編にて、ついに怪獣頂上対決が描かれるのか!? 是非ともご期待ください。" which best I can figure roughly means "Finally, in the last entry, a monster showdown takes place!? Look forward to it." I guess the question mark leaves some room for ambiguity, but they seem aware that fans want to finally see a monster battle and know that hasn't happened yet.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Ghidorah is a planet-sized entity composed of pure electrical energy that takes the shape of a three-headed dragon and floats through space. I definitely like the idea of Godzilla firing his atomic breath into space at the approaching Ghidorah.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I had a dream last night of Godzilla Earth having a beam war with a Galactus sized Ghidorah and in the end a Spiral Ray ow Ghidorah away.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Just finished watching the movie. I have to say, I liked this movie so much more than then first one. The first 30 minutes or so were pretty slow, but once they realized that the Houtua (I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it) were using nanometal for arrowheads and other things, it really started to pick up. The scene where they activated MechaGodzilla City with the techno music was sick! I loved the final battle, and I honestly found it much more entertaining than the final battle in the first film. I like the set up for Ghidorah as well. That end credit scene hyled me up for the third film (though I still think it should have been Space Godzilla, but I'm fine with Ghidorah).

I think this movie does a good job of avoiding the "Middle Movie Syndrome" quite well. It actually had its own story and wasn't just a set up for the third film. I actually hope that MechaGodzilla survived Godzilla Earth's attack, although I highly doubt he did (that was epic scene as well). I want to see him in full MechaGodzilla form, in a battle royale between him, Mothra (I wish we had seen some more teasing of Mothra, I feel the Houtua were brushed over as well), Godzilla Earth, and Ghidorah. I'm definitely more excited for the third film, than I was for this one. I hope the third one is longer as well. I feel like it needs to be to at least one hour and forty five minutes to two hours to give it enough time to wrap things up with this storyline.

I think I'm going to give this movie a 7.5/10.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I enjoyed most of the movie much better than Exposition Planet, the confrontation was more or less great, but the ending made me a little bit angry.

Like why wait for the after-credits scene to reveal Ghidorah's name? The hints in the middle(?) of the movie kill the suspense anyway.

Dunno, I think I need a second viewing before I make my full judgment.