Godzilla Anime: How high should the violence be?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Re: How high should the violence be?

Post by Janjira-York »

very violent so it can make profit from edgelord weebs

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

I definitely want to say showa violence. It'd be good without going nuts.
Hedorah gets his eyes ripped out.
Godzilla gets shot with missles and blood pours out of his neck like a fountain.
Ebirah gets his claws ripped off.
Anguirus gets his head sawed up by Gigan.
etc.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

ZinK wrote:I definitely want to say showa violence. It'd be good without going nuts.
Godzilla gets shot with missles and blood pours out of his neck like a fountain.
etc.
An animated gorefest? Include Gigan and it will make so much more sense. Blades ahoy!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

CyberZilla wrote:
ZinK wrote:I definitely want to say showa violence. It'd be good without going nuts.
etc.
An animated gorefest? Include Gigan and it will make so much more sense. Blades ahoy!
I was just talking about the violence that happens in the showa era, I think it would work best.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Medium.

low enough to show the monster(s) is/are durable, high enough to allow blood to show that a really powerful attack was, well, powerful when previous attacks failed to draw blood.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Violence should be moderate, like late Showa era. Nothing too crazy, nothing too tame. They should use blood to emphasize how powerful something is, nothing much else.
Resized Image

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Nothing too crazy, something like Heisei Era, with fantasy kaiju violence, multicolored blood and that stuff.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Dr. Carter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dr. Carter »

Only what is really needed, honestly. Godzilla has never struck me as the kind of monster to include gore for the sake of it like too many films in the horror genra do. Yes, the horrors of nuclear radiation and the effects of it are a key part of it, but there in is what makes Godzilla unique as a monster franchise, if not in the horror genra as a whole. (And yes, I know Godzilla fits into a number of genras.) The blood and gore almost always has a point to it when it shows up. Either to show the horror of something, or how strong an attack is. It doesn't need to be over the top unless the intent is for the entire movie to be over the top. Plain and simple, I'll still support the film myself though, in the hopes of getting anime that goes the entire spectrum to fill everyone's needs, wants, and desires. Personally though, I hope that while serious, it takes a Heisei tone to the thing. I've always wanted a Godzilla anime like that, one that has the Bio Wars music from Godzilla vs. Biollante as the opening theme and the credits. But that bit's for another topic.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I would like a couple of blood splatters like in samurai movies, and Power Ranger-style explosions as the monster falls backward to the ground, and curbstompings. :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I think it might be cool if they did something like Evil Dead 2 violence-wise where the amount of blood is so ridiculous and unrealistic, it almost transcends the label of "gory." That would be very interesting to watch. :D

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Yeah, like that!!! :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

BooLugosi wrote:I think it might be cool if they did something like Evil Dead 2 violence-wise where the amount of blood is so ridiculous and unrealistic, it almost transcends the label of "gory." That would be very interesting to watch. :D
Sounds amazing. The Evil Trilogy is my favorite movie trilogy of all time.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

It should be high enough to get the munchies, but not so much I actually want to get off the couch.

Oh wait, you mean like how much violence? Eh...As much as ever solves anything.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dr. Carter wrote:Only what is really needed, honestly. Godzilla has never struck me as the kind of monster to include gore for the sake of it like too many films in the horror genra do. Yes, the horrors of nuclear radiation and the effects of it are a key part of it, but there in is what makes Godzilla unique as a monster franchise, if not in the horror genra as a whole. (And yes, I know Godzilla fits into a number of genras.) The blood and gore almost always has a point to it when it shows up. Either to show the horror of something, or how strong an attack is. It doesn't need to be over the top unless the intent is for the entire movie to be over the top. Plain and simple, I'll still support the film myself though, in the hopes of getting anime that goes the entire spectrum to fill everyone's needs, wants, and desires. Personally though, I hope that while serious, it takes a Heisei tone to the thing. I've always wanted a Godzilla anime like that, one that has the Bio Wars music from Godzilla vs. Biollante as the opening theme and the credits. But that bit's for another topic.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Blood and gore is rare in Godzilla films but when it does show up it has a point, like showing how Anguirus was horribly outmatched by Mechagodzilla, Destroyah and Burning Godzilla showing how powerful they've become (and the body breaking down as he is dying in the latter's case) and Hedorah and Biollante to show how there are monsters more horrific than Godzilla.

WeegeeZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by WeegeeZilla »

I'd say moderate. Not going overboard, but including some violence. Blood's used sparingly in the live-action films (Late Showa era notwithstanding), so I think it'd be best to stick to that.
Some might say that life is a great challenge, and something insurmountably difficult. I say to that, "Bring it on."

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Uber violent, like these clips:
Spoiler:

Let's make this the edgiest, most grim dark Godzilla film to date. :^)

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Sure, why not, I need an edgy Godzilla movie in my life
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I'd say as violent as a nature documentary would be good, given that this movie is supposedly set in a jungle
your source of self destruction

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

As my favorite anime tends to be of the darker and gorier kind. I think it would work for Monster Planet too. Evil Dead 2-level of gore would be fantastic! My best guess would be nature documentary- level of gore though.

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Post by LegendaryMonster »

I personally don’t like too much gore in my Godzilla movies. Not too say there shouldn’t be any I think a moderate amount would suffice.