Godzilla Anime: How high should the violence be?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: How high should the violence be?

Post by Bigdog »

Saansilt wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:<snip>
PFFFFFFT YOU FILTHY CASUAL

IT NEEDS ALL THE GORE

RIP A MONSTER IN HALF
SHOW SOMEONE GETTING CRUSHED
skreeonking INCINERATE SOMEONE I DON'T GIVE A SHIT

HAVE SO MUCH VIOLENCE IT PUTS MORTAL COMBAT AND DOOM TO SHAME

DO WHAT BEEF SAID
GIMME THAT NC-17 RATING
I WANNA SEE GODZILLA SIDEBOOB

Oi! You! Yeah, you there! Quoting me to tell me how I'm wrong. This is a joke. I'm not serious.
If you already understand this is a joke, ignore this.
This how I read all the coments that want Godzilla to be a rated R edgemaster supreme movie. I play the DOOM series, but such nonsense is not needed for Godzilla.

Edgelords always demand that the red paint is at least half the budget but I feel this film, espicially with the teaser will about the sense of wonder in discovering a thing such as Godzilla. Not about charred bodies, flayed skin, etc.

I mean look at the teaser image. It shows a sci fi craft looking on to fobording jungle. To me it'll be more about discovery of this magnificent and terrible beast, and to go overblown gorefest would betray the sense of mystery and wonder for cheap shock value just to satisfy a few bloodthirsty indviduals who quite frankly disturb me.

I know I am basing this off one image, but they chose that for a teaser so I draw my conclusions on that fact. They used this to repersent their product, with the eyes of the fandom on them this is how they chose to repersent the product.

So what the heck is with the blood obsession? Every new film someone wants dead babies, excessive gore, and rivers of blood. The violence in the first movie wasn't meant to entertain, it was for horror. To reflect very real and present fears.

All in all, I hope we get the standard fare ie G2000 or like in the recent vidgames. And yes I got the joke in the post I quoted.
I'm on the same boat. Unless it's some comedic Deadpool-like endeavor or Tarantino stylization, the only way I'd want extreme violence or side effects of it, is if it's weighed down, sobered and made somber like as you state it. Edge for the sake of it is childish.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Coming from a guy who loves stuff like DooM and Mortal Kombat... I don't want gore in my Godzilla anime. Show the kaiju bleeding a little but I don't want torn flesh or mutilation. In my ideal world this anime would be light-hearted and fun, like the late Showa era, something you can watch to kick back and relax but still have an awesome time.
Given what I've heard about our director, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm fully expecting this to be a pretty dark movie, more like Gojira than the late Showa era.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Coming from a guy who loves stuff like DooM and Mortal Kombat... I don't want gore in my Godzilla anime. Show the kaiju bleeding a little but I don't want torn flesh or mutilation. In my ideal world this anime would be light-hearted and fun, like the late Showa era, something you can watch to kick back and relax but still have an awesome time.
Given what I've heard about our director, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm fully expecting this to be a pretty dark movie, more like Gojira than the late Showa era.
Yeah, I've heard about the guy. I'm only really going to support this movie in the hope that Toho will do more Godzilla anime projects if it's successful enough, ideally leading to a lighter, funner tv series. We have the movies, especially Shin, to handle the darker stuff: this anime should've took a fun approach. I wouldn't even say it's a 'comfort zone' thing with Toho, Shin proves they're willing to get out of their comfort zone: comes off as wasted potential to me. I wait so long for a Godzilla anime and... it's just going to be the same as most of the live action movies. Not saying it won't be decent, though reading up on the director I'm not holding much hope, but it just seems like wasted potential to me.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Oh yeah my first thread has got to two pages wort wort wort
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

As much as it needs to be. I don't need to have an excessively violent Godzilla movie, because that can get boring really fast. However, I doubt we'll get anything out of the ordinary here. I highly doubt Toho would risk cutting out the child audience with this by making it super violent or something. I've seen people write fan fiction, or throw out ideas of an R-rated Godzilla film, and I just don't think it's necessary. As a matter of fact, a lot of the fan fiction I read, where people go over-the-top with the violence just gets lame, really really fast, and it just comes off as them taking themselves and the material way too seriously.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

It needs to be as violent as it needs to be to make whatever artistic statement it intends. G54 was moderately violent and implied a lot of suffering to represent the suffering of war and it was effective. The late Showa series had cartoonish amounts of blood to match the humorous, hyperbolic tone and it worked for what it was going for. It all just depends. Sometimes excess is fun but sometimes less is more.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

KingKaiju wrote:As much as it needs to be. I don't need to have an excessively violent Godzilla movie, because that can get boring really fast. However, I doubt we'll get anything out of the ordinary here. I highly doubt Toho would risk cutting out the child audience with this by making it super violent or something. I've seen people write fan fiction, or throw out ideas of an R-rated Godzilla film, and I just don't think it's necessary. As a matter of fact, a lot of the fan fiction I read, where people go over-the-top with the violence just gets lame, really really fast, and it just comes off as them taking themselves and the material way too seriously.
PFFFT YOU'RE JUST A PUSSY WHO CAN'T HANDLE VIOLENCE LOL GO BACK TO YOUR SAFE SPACE

Jokes aside, I agree.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Eh, like half the Godzilla movies are fun and lighthearted, I'd rather they get down to really mastering darker Godzilla stories.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:As much as it needs to be. I don't need to have an excessively violent Godzilla movie, because that can get boring really fast. However, I doubt we'll get anything out of the ordinary here. I highly doubt Toho would risk cutting out the child audience with this by making it super violent or something. I've seen people write fan fiction, or throw out ideas of an R-rated Godzilla film, and I just don't think it's necessary. As a matter of fact, a lot of the fan fiction I read, where people go over-the-top with the violence just gets lame, really really fast, and it just comes off as them taking themselves and the material way too seriously.
PFFFT YOU'RE JUST A PUSSY WHO CAN'T HANDLE VIOLENCE LOL GO BACK TO YOUR SAFE SPACE

Jokes aside, I agree.
STTAAAAHHHHP ATTTTTAAAACKING MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! STAAAAHP!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Child accepting doesn't quite equate to childish. It is possible to make a mature series aimed at older viewers that is still approachable by the younger audience without getting thousands of concerned calls from parents. Because you see, when you dump huge amounts of exposition, blood, grittiness, and extreme violence it quickly stops being mature and terrifying and just finds a whole new way to be really silly. Sometimes this is to the determent if the series is still trying to be serious (most Frank Miller comics post 1993 and more anime than I hope to count), other times it can embrace the unintended humor and run with it (most Slasher movie sequels).
I've seen many official works and fan works of innumerable franchises make this mistake. They have their fans, and if they have the right to their opinion to enjoy this stuff. The problem is that makes the story niche real quick because only a very small number of creators can pull it off right.

This is one of the reasons I can understand why Attack on Titan and Evangelion got popular, but I still have a "meh" opinion of both. I can see the effort, I can see things in it I really like; but every like is overridden by metaphysical exposition episodes, weird plot twists that had no build up; and shock value quickly losing its edge. And seeing as this is Godzilla and its the type of genre we're talking about here, it will inevitably be compared to series like those two. I'd much rather the Big G's show go and do something different rather than aping off the same formula. Doesn't need to be Godzilla vs. Megalon levels of whacky, just some simplicity and maybe a bit of humor to keep things fresh. Something in tone akin to say Godzilla: the Animated Series, 70s Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla; or Godzilla 2000 (US).

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Desghidorah wrote:This is one of the reasons I can understand why Attack on Titan and Evangelion got popular, but I still have a "meh" opinion of both. I can see the effort, I can see things in it I really like; but every like is overridden by metaphysical exposition episodes, weird plot twists that had no build up; and shock value quickly losing its edge. And seeing as this is Godzilla and its the type of genre we're talking about here, it will inevitably be compared to series like those two. I'd much rather the Big G's show go and do something different rather than aping off the same formula. Doesn't need to be Godzilla vs. Megalon levels of whacky, just some simplicity and maybe a bit of humor to keep things fresh. Something in tone akin to say Godzilla: the Animated Series, 70s Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla; or Godzilla 2000 (US).
After Shin Godzilla scratching my itch for a genuinely good serious take for the first time in like ... decades, I'd actually be completely on board for a stylish, full-camp approach, and animation would be a great venue for it. And as you said, it'd be as distinctly "Godzilla" as serious political commentary; for better or worse, '60s-flavored camp is as much a part of the character's DNA as anything. Now that the former's gotten its due, I wouldn't mind a project leaning hard into the latter. (So I guess I am asking for Megalon levels of wacky; just really stylishly wacky.)

From the talent involved and the one teaser image we have, though, it looks far more likely this is going to take relatively serious, stylistically grounded approach.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'd be okay with a level of violence akin to the 70s films or the Heisei films, which had some stabbings and slicings and the recurring 'monsters with yellow mustard blood' thing going on.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I've always wanted to see a Godzilla film with MK-level of violence.

I think something like the 70s or Heisei films would work for the anime film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

I would want something, that's can entertain both children and attract mature audiences. Heisei era and Showa era both had some blood, but usually not to excessive and no gore really. That's how I would want it. I don't see the appeal for an R rated Godzilla full of blood and gore. That's just my opinion.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

GORE IT UP BABY LET'S SEE SOME CARNAGE :twisted:

Honestly, though, normal to minorly excessive (oxymorons ftw) violence should do well for the film as it stands, unless some weird detail says otherwise somehow (which I doubt will be the case). Still, a more violent Godzilla movie would be interesting at the very least.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Middle ground.

Tone down enough that the monsters come off as durable enough that most injuries and missiles mean jack and shit to them, but high enough that when a monster does get hit by a really devastating attack, you feel their pain just by watching it.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

@MechaGoji Bro7503, I kinda think Godzilla should get really violent only when hes really pissed off. Like if someone steals his butter finger, the last butter finger ever.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

I think it should be the most violent Godzilla movie to date, without going into edgy territory.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

gzillafan17 wrote:I would want something, that's can entertain both children and attract mature audiences. Heisei era and Showa era both had some blood, but usually not to excessive and no gore really. That's how I would want it. I don't see the appeal for an R rated Godzilla full of blood and gore. That's just my opinion.
Totally unrelated question but if you don't mind are you "Gzilla16"? just asking because you're name is nigh exactly the same.
'
Godzilla

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

g2vd wrote:
gzillafan17 wrote:I would want something, that's can entertain both children and attract mature audiences. Heisei era and Showa era both had some blood, but usually not to excessive and no gore really. That's how I would want it. I don't see the appeal for an R rated Godzilla full of blood and gore. That's just my opinion.
Totally unrelated question but if you don't mind are you "Gzilla16"? just asking because you're name is nigh exactly the same.
'
Nope, at least not to my knowledge.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake