Box Office Discussion: Anime Trilogy

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

Re: Box office discussion

Post by Cookson »

It'll be interesting to see how part 2 does being a summer release.

Think we're looking at a 4m total for part 1...
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Cookson wrote:It'll be interesting to see how part 2 does being a summer release.

Think we're looking at a 4m total for part 1...
May usually does better than November. I'm sure it'll be stronger. At the very least, it should have better legs.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I understand that this anime film series is thought to be conceived prior to the involvement of Netflix. However, I was reading something interesting that Netflix has been paying production companies of smaller films, half the budget, in exchange to having exclusive streaming rights and debuts on their platform. For instance apparently they paid 30 million for a series of shaft reboot films, and are currently going to release an Anne Hathaway foreign sci-fi film 17 days after its United States theatrical run.

Because of this I wouldn't be surprised if what we thought, Toho/Polygon banking in on Netflix money as opposed to the Japanese box office being more significant.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

What was the budget for all three films. If Planet of Monsters can make back the budget for all three than Anime Godzilla is a sucess than correct? I don't think anyone was expecting Shin or even G14 numbers.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

miguelnuva wrote:What was the budget for all three films. If Planet of Monsters can make back the budget for all three than Anime Godzilla is a sucess than correct? I don't think anyone was expecting Shin or even G14 numbers.
I think Toho was hoping for a 10m film. I thought for sure Shin Godzilla hype would have helped this one out. I'm sure this film has made the budget back for all three films. Anime films, especially CGI anime is extremely cheap.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

So it looks like the movie will be out of Toho cinemas by 12/21...?

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

If it's out that soon, that doesn't sound good.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Supposedly the Netflix release was delayed to allow the theater run to get some cash going, so I imagine this early exit is because it's coming to Japanese Netflix (as well as American Netflix) in the next few months.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I'm really curious as to how much Netflix paid Toho for the anime trilogy. I can't find the article now, but the Paramount/Netflix deal gave The Cloverfield Paradox an immediate profit, and the budget was 45m for that film.

With that in mind, these films most likely gave Toho an immediate profit with the Netflix deal. Add the money it makes at the box office in Japan, Toho is making some serious bank on the Godzilla character.
Last edited by Cookson on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Cookson wrote:I'm really curious as to how much Netflix paid Toho for the anime trilogy. I can't find the article now, but the Paramount/Netflix deal gave The Cloverfield Paradox an immediate profit, and the budget was 45m for that film.

With that in mind, these films most likely gave Toho an immediate profit with the Netflix deal. Add the money it makes at the box office in Japan, Toho is making some serious bank on the Godzilla character.
Netflix gave Paramount 50 million for Cloverfield Paradox, which is more than any of their 2017 opening weekends

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

That's crazy..

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

ShinGi wrote:Netflix gave Paramount 50 million for Cloverfield Paradox, which is more than any of their 2017 opening weekends
Unreal man. Cloverfield would have to gross just over $100 M worldwide for Paramount to make a profit of $50 M!!!!
That's exactly what the previous Cloverfield made at the B.O ($110 m)!
Last edited by The Octopus on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
ShinGi wrote:Netflix gave Paramount 50 million for Cloverfield Paradox, which is more than any of their 2017 opening weekends
Unreal man. Cloverfield would have to gross just over $100 M worldwide for Paramount to make a profit of $50 M!!!!
That's exactly what the previous Cloverfield made at the B.O ($110 m)!
Paramount is at a pretty bad place right now, they had a lot of bombs in 2017 and they really cant afford another BO bomb, this has been getting pretty bad reviews so far and it would have most likely made less then Cloverfield Lane. With this they at least got 5 million dollars of profit off the movie
Last edited by ShinGi on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

ShinGi wrote:Paramount is at a pretty bad place right now, they had a lot of bombs in 2017 and
Boy youse ain't kiddin'
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha ... amount.htm

Yikes.
Last edited by The Octopus on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Wow, that is... that is a rough list. Like, I've heard good things about Arrival, but beyond that...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So, I bet Monster Planet 2(sorry can't call it by its actual name) doubles or even triples the firsts total for 10-15m. That summer release will help it tremendously.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I wonder if a bigger budget animated Godzilla movie with more marketing would've grossed more. DBZ and Evangelion have had recent movies that've made a lot of money.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Part 2 opens in Japan today(Friday). I'll give you guys some daily info on how it's doing. I would imagine it'll do better than part 1 since this is basically a summer release. My hope is that it doubles what the first made for 10m. Look for a opening of something like 2-3m... Though it's possible that's being generous! It's hard to tell how excited the people in Japan are for this.

Added in 18 hours 35 minutes 56 seconds:
Looks like it'll have a similar run as the first.

Added in 6 hours 54 minutes 55 seconds:
Weekend Forecast (05/19-20)
01 (---) ¥225,000,000 ($2.0 million), 0, ¥265,000,000 ($2.4 million), Peter Rabbit (Sony) NEW
02 (01) ¥194,000,000 ($1.7 million), -30%, ¥7,150,000,000 ($65.6 million), Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (Toho) WK6
03 (---) ¥150,000,000 ($1.4 million), 0, ¥190,000,000 ($1.7 million), Rampage (Warner Bros.) NEW
04 (02) ¥129,000,000 ($1.2 million), -36%, ¥3,350,000,000 ($30.5 million), Avengers: Infinity War (Disney) WK4
05 (---) ¥100,000,000 ($900,000), 0, ¥125,000,000 ($1.1 million), Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (Toho Video Division) NEW
06 (---) ¥100,000,000 ($900,000), 0, ¥100,000,000 ($900,000), Nomitori Samurai (Toho) NEW
07 (03) ¥97,000,000 ($875,000), -34%, ¥400,000,000 ($3.6 million), The Blood of Wolves (Toei) WK2
08 (04) ¥89,000,000 ($800,000), -35%, ¥1,050,000,000 ($9.5 million), Laplace's Witch (Toho) WK3
09 (05) ¥86,000,000 ($775,000), -32%, ¥2,325,000,000 ($21.3 million), Ready Player One (Warner Bros.) WK5
10 (---) ¥50,000,000 ($450,000), 0, ¥50,000,000 ($450,000), Kamen Rider Amazons: The Last Judgement (Toei) NEW

Will basically have the same type of run as Part 1. Will have a 4-5m run. Again, this is a limited style release, so it's not expected to be a huge hit. Though, I thought it could have done a little better.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 17, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Not really much to expect. Toho is just doing it for a few million more yen. Netflix money is where it's at.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

B34sT wrote:Not really much to expect. Toho is just doing it for a few million more yen. Netflix money is where it's at.
Definitely on the money with that. Toho and Polygon most likely saw an immediate profit with the Netflix deal and whatever the films make at the Japanese box office is just icing. Remember, Planet of the Monsters was originally going to be a TV show, but Shins success changed that. There was never a TON of money going into these from the start.

I would wonder how well these would do if Toho did release these as a wider scale release (250+ theaters). They're probably not really promoting them either(they are just not as hard as G14 or Shin). Probably straight up social media advertising and word of mouth.

I'm glad these exists, but my competitive side wishes Toho would push these a little harder to see what they're fully capable of doing.
Last edited by Cookson on Sat May 19, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.