Box Office Discussion: Anime Trilogy

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: Box office discussion

Post by The Octopus »

Or maybe people arn't interested in a Godzilla anime (myself included). I've been a Godzilla fan since 1978 and have no interest in these films.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

It's a limited release. It's really hard to gauge how much interest there is with that. Japan also has no qualms about anime. They usually top the charts over there actually.

ABB Gamma
GPN Volunteer

Post by ABB Gamma »

It's worth noting that Japan got Planet of the Monsters on Netflix the same day we did. If you already have a Netflix account, you've got to be a pretty big Godzilla fan to pay to see a movie you can watch for free in two months.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Of similar note, home video sales seem to actually be quite decent considering it's on Netflix.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 20/.131854

We can obviously say with the anime trilogy that Toho has made profit. That's something they couldn't say about Final Wars in 2004. So all in all Toho continues to make solid profit.

If the film somehow shows up on Corpse's top 10 box office list I'll post numbers, but there's really no need. The film will, in a long box office run, make 2-3m.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

ABB Gamma wrote:It's worth noting that Japan got Planet of the Monsters on Netflix the same day we did. If you already have a Netflix account, you've got to be a pretty big Godzilla fan to pay to see a movie you can watch for free in two months.
True with the caveat that, at least as far as when I was there, Netflix had not caught on nearly as much as in the US and, in fact, I think had only just been introduced. It's not like here where it's virtually a given you, someone in your family, or someone you know has an account.

Honestly, though, it seems like the series is at least going to at least break even on disc sales and box office alone considering it's anime. It would be interesting to know budget and Netflix amounts.
Last edited by Jomei on Thu May 24, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Is there a link to the number of tickets sold?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Is there a link to the number of tickets sold?
No info on that, just the ¥105,000,000 through last Sunday.

The film dropped 73% from last friday. Toho is lucky they have a Netflix deal on these. Between that, home video sales, box office revenue and merchandise obviously they're good.. but sheesh. Granted it's a limited style release.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Hey Cooks, any update on the B.O for City on the Edge of Battle?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Hey Cooks, any update on the B.O for City on the Edge of Battle?
Honestly I've stopped following it. The numbers are so miniscule there's no point. 2-3m total though.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Does you friend (whats his name Corpseman?) have the numbers? Didn't he always list the ticket sales numbers in the past? I really want to know what the tickets sold number is.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

He usually does top 10 only. Wasn't in the top 10 second week

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Cookson wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Is there a link to the number of tickets sold?
No info on that, just the ¥105,000,000 through last Sunday.

The film dropped 73% from last friday. Toho is lucky they have a Netflix deal on these. Between that, home video sales, box office revenue and merchandise obviously they're good.. but sheesh. Granted it's a limited style release.
I know this probably sounds stupid but I don’t think Toho cares, it feels like the Polygon trilogy is just an afterthought and a cheap way to keep Godzilla’s image in the GA’s minds, which is also probably why the design looks so close to Legendarie’s, and that’s it.
If Toho wanted to, they could easily create an a-m-a-z-i-n-g kaiju anime, but for now, Toho’s just riding on King Of The Monsters’ success. The main focus is there.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:If Toho wanted to, they could easily create an a-m-a-z-i-n-g kaiju anime, but for now, Toho’s just riding on King Of The Monsters' success. The main focus is there.
That's the worst part of the anime for me. It could have been so much more. Toho would make far more money off of it if it was of a higher quality too. Win-win.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I mean, I'm enjoying the films while watching them, but something is just really off. They're straight up filler movies till 2019-2020. Kudos to Toho though. They're making easy profit on these.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

I think that they're definitely filler in the financial/pop-cultural awareness sense, as Toho is clearly banking much more on the success of the Legendary and future Japanese shared universe in the long haul, but I don't agree that as movies they're just boring filler content.

Opinions on the films aside, they're clearly thought-out and well-realized. Lets put it this way: they are what they want to be. Toho clearly gave full creative control to the team and it's certainly a unique (if to many, off-putting) series of films. They're fascinating in their own bizarre way, and as part of a larger canon, especially. I think the fact that the first two are incomplete films (as in, the arc of the characters and story will not be realized until the release of the third film) is what's throwing a lot of people off.

That said, these B.O numbers have got to be disappointing. Sure, they likely didn't need much of anything to recoup their costs what with the Netflix deal, but the second film came in pretty low indeed. I guess if disc sales continue to be strong like they were for PotM Toho might look more fondly on the experiment. I don't think the third film will bounce back much, if at all, sadly.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Cookson wrote:I mean, I'm enjoying the films while watching them, but something is just really off. They're straight up filler movies till 2019-2020. Kudos to Toho though. They're making easy profit on these.
Toho is a pretty conservative company, though, and I can't imagine these coming anywhere close to the expectations for them that were set when they were green lighted. This is especially considering that the Godzilla franchise once again recently became a golden goose... something that they haven't seen since the early 1990's.

At the very least, come the conclusion of this series, I wouldn't expect another Godzilla anime anytime in the foreseeable future.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Any updates on Planet Eater's B.O? Its out now in Japan right?