Box Office Discussion: Anime Trilogy

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

Box Office Discussion: Anime Trilogy

Post by Cookson »

So, in Japan the last two films have been huge successes! G14 brought in $31.7m(the last few m isn't recorded on BOM), and Shin Godzilla is a blockbuster with potentially hitting $60m. Toho is seeing massive profits with the Godzilla franchise!

Now, Toho is bringing something new to the franchise, a Godzilla anime feature film! Anime films do pretty well in Japan. So, what can this potentially bring in?

Any discussion about G box office is welcome!

For me, I think the low end is $20m and the high being $60m.
Last edited by Arbok on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Re: Box office discussion

Post by B34sT »

It obviously depends on the quality of the film. If the film receives praise similar to Shin Godzilla then it can potentially make above $60mil but if the film is mediocre it would probably be around $20-$35million just on hype.

Gallavant123
Samurai

Post by Gallavant123 »

Kobun Shizuno directed Detective Conan: Darkest Nightmare which made $57.5 mil, was number one in its opening weekend, and was distributed by Toho
Gen Urobuchi wrote Madoka Magica 3 which had broke an anime series relative record for what it was, as the then "highest-grossing film that came from a late-night television anime (ergo it wasn't a kid's anime)", hitting roughly $19 million

And there's of course the added benefit of being a really big name series, and having multiple fandoms involved (anime and tokusatsu)

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Honestly we have to wait till opening weekend to see what the possibility is. Many said Shin-Godzilla wasn't advertised enough and would suffer at the BO. Obviously how wrong they were.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Considering how well G'14 and Shin Godzilla have done, I've got a good feeling about how this will do at the box office. ^_^ I've got nothing besides a good gut feeling, but that's enough for me to get along. :)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Even if the film itself turns out solid, I am not that sure about the box office performance in Japan. Look out how Batman: Mask of the Phantasm as an animated adaptation coexisting with a live action stream of Batman films turned out back in the day.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

LegendZilla wrote:Even if the film itself turns out solid, I am not that sure about the box office performance in Japan. Look out how Batman: Mask of the Phantasm as an animated adaptation coexisting with a live action stream of Batman films turned out back in the day.
Animated films do much better in Japan than in the US. Currently the only domestic movie to outgross Shin Godzilla is an animated film. The last Rebuild of Evangelion made just above $60 million. I have no doubt it will make decent returns but how decent will depend on the quality and word of mouth.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, comparing a Japanese animated film to an American one is like apples and oranges. Japanese animated films have POTENTIAL to be huge. Whether it is or isn't depends on WOM etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote:Look out how Batman: Mask of the Phantasm as an animated adaptation coexisting with a live action stream of Batman films turned out back in the day.
That's a very specific example, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was switched mid-swing to being a theatrical film, and it didn't really have the push that a proper theatrical release should/could have gotten.

This Godzilla anime film will likely be treated with just as much promotion and importance as Shin Godzilla was.

Heck, coming off of the huge success of Shin Godzilla, if this anime film is intended to be a bit more kid-palatable(not geared straight to kids, but more 'PG-13 that works for most ages' like an Avengers movie or something)....then it could get a CRAZY push from Toho, especially being the FIRST Godzilla anime film, that's a good hook.

I think a bigger opening than Shin Godzilla is ensured, with the quality of the film being the ultimate determining factor in how far it goes.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, if marketed right, it could be another huge success for Toho.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

A dubbed FUNimation version in American theaters could do DBZRF money, or more if it's in theaters a month or so - if it's of decent quality.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Well, with no t knowing the release date, it kind of throws everything off. If this was a July release, you would of thought they would have announced it by now.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Hopefully momentum from the past two films carry over and this ends up a success too (especially since they are aiming for two more anime films). At the very least I hope it does well enough to break even for Toho

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I'm more curious to know what the budget is for this film. Considering Shin Godzilla had a production budget of $15 million, it can't be too large.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I'm more curious to know what the budget is for this film. Considering Shin Godzilla had a production budget of $15 million, it can't be too large.
Anime films are extremely cheap to make... I wouldn't be surprised at a budget of only 1m honestly.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Cookson wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:I'm more curious to know what the budget is for this film. Considering Shin Godzilla had a production budget of $15 million, it can't be too large.
Anime films are extremely cheap to make... I wouldn't be surprised at a budget of only 1m honestly.
If its budget is less than $5 million, it'd be pretty hard for this to flop unless it just plain sucks.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tickets will already be available for purchase August 18th in Japan. They're offering a folder just like Shin Godzilla.

Will be getting two for souvenir purposes.

Added in 11 hours 47 minutes 58 seconds:
It'll be interesting in seeing how well this does. Definitely don't feel the buzz for this like Shin Godzilla, but they're using Shin Godzilla as a marketing tool for this film.

With Shin Godzilla bleed over, I still see this making 20m. Will be pretty shocked if it misses that mark.

Added in 12 hours 44 minutes 23 seconds:
So yeah, I think 20m should be the aim for this. I hope Toho isn't expecting Shin Godzilla numbers.

Added in 16 hours 10 minutes 43 seconds:
Well, it's just about time! I'll post any updates I see. Will be interesting seeing what affect Shin Godzilla will have.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Hoping it does well! More so, hoping it turns out good.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Looks like it opened to #1 with 500k. That's fine for this time of the year. Might make 3m opening weekend. Definitely not going to be a runaway hit like Shin Godzilla, but looks to have a respectable run.

*Note: GMP also had less screens than usual openers. Considering that as well, this is a decent opening.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

LegendZilla wrote:Even if the film itself turns out solid, I am not that sure about the box office performance in Japan. Look out how Batman: Mask of the Phantasm as an animated adaptation coexisting with a live action stream of Batman films turned out back in the day.
Probably cause the west is still behind on the times and thinks all animation is for kids.