US distribution for Godzilla Anime

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

US distribution for Godzilla Anime

Post by Cookson »

So, I guess we can assume FUNimation will be the American distributor for this.
Last edited by Arbok on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Re: US distribution

Post by jackzilla »

Yeah, I think this film will follow the same routine as Shin Gojira. It'll get released in Japan first, then a US Theater Release a few months after.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'd love for Funimation to become the unofficially official distributor of all future Japanese Godzilla films.

Who am I kidding. I've love for them to get all of the PAST Godzilla films too....to get new Funimation-quality dubs on ALL of the original cuts of the Godzilla films would be pretty damn cool in my book.

The idea of the first 29 films getting more or less consistent/matching treatment from one company across a platform....or maybe even Box Sets for each of the 'Eras'...probably too good of a dream to ever come true.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote:I'd love for Funimation to become the unofficially official distributor of all future Japanese Godzilla films.

Who am I kidding. I've love for them to get all of the PAST Godzilla films too....to get new Funimation-quality dubs on ALL of the original cuts of the Godzilla films would be pretty damn cool in my book.

The idea of the first 29 films getting more or less consistent/matching treatment from one company across a platform....or maybe even Box Sets for each of the 'Eras'...probably too good of a dream to ever come true.
Maybe not now, but with Godzilla being more popular than ever before with the new Hollywood movies, new Toho movies and this, anything is possible, since it seems we have now entered a new Era for Godzilla films.
LONG LIVE THE KING

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Since anime is dubbed and subbed pretty quickly I imagine a very quick DVD or online streaming release. Especially because anime is already dubbed. I do think it's way too early to think about this though.

Part of me wants to open a trolling BOX OFFICE SPECULATION THREAD.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Since anime is dubbed and subbed pretty quickly I imagine a very quick DVD or online streaming release. Especially because anime is already dubbed. I do think it's way too early to think about this though.

Lets do it!! 5m opening weekend. 45m total! Lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Since anime is dubbed and subbed pretty quickly I imagine a very quick DVD or online streaming release. Especially because anime is already dubbed. I do think it's way too early to think about this though.

Didn't they say that this movie is going to be in theaters? Like, it's not just gonna be a Direct to Video movie, it's gonna be a straight up In Theaters and everything? Am I wrong? I thought I saw that somewhere.
LONG LIVE THE KING

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Funimation inevitably.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I'm on the straight to DVD mindset myself.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

If it does get theaters, it'll be select theaters.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

If Shin Godzilla does well in the US and proves to be profitable for Funimation I seen no reason to assume why they wouldn't want to distribute the film in the US

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Kind of hoping it comes to Netflix streaming
Member of TK Since 2006

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Godzillian wrote:If Shin Godzilla does well in the US and proves to be profitable for Funimation I seen no reason to assume why they wouldn't want to distribute the film in the US
Yeah, really hoping future Toho releases stay with FUNimation. Want it to stay clean. Makes more sense with this film since FUNimation does mostly anime films.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzillian wrote:If Shin Godzilla does well in the US and proves to be profitable for Funimation I seen no reason to assume why they wouldn't want to distribute the film in the US
Just incase anyone's curious, while this is no means a definite, I've been at five different shin Gojira showings and they've all been packed. Tonight's was actually completely full and sold out, I had to sit in the second row, which for once was actually cool. I'm just saying this to indicate I think the film is doing well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, I've been to two showings (Tuesday and one tonight) and both were really solidly packed. Tuesday's showing was actually sold out I think.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Shin Godzilla has absolutely crushed in its limited release. They extended its run for a reason, because they are very happy with the results. Compare it to the performance of either Attack on Titan movie that Funimation released, and that puts things into perspective.

I see no reason why Funimation and Toho wouldn't be more than happy to go after a similar arrangement with this anime film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote:Shin Godzilla has absolutely crushed in its limited release. They extended its run for a reason, because they are very happy with the results. Compare it to the performance of either Attack on Titan movie that Funimation released, and that puts things into perspective.

I see no reason why Funimation and Toho wouldn't be more than happy to go after a similar arrangement with this anime film.
Yeah I agree. I think we'll be seeing this in US theaters just like Shin Godzilla in either late 2017 or early 2018, depending on the Japan release.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

"Godzilla" really is a drawing name, even to the least technically interested of horror fans. It's hardly a wonder Shin did so well.

I really hope this one has a US release; the only reason I could imagine it not is if it tanks in Japan.