Godzilla Anime: New or classic kaiju. Both?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: New or classic kaiju. Both?

Post by master_of_monsters »

no restrictions, go nuts toho or whoever is making this
your source of self destruction

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

How about, yep you knew I was gonna bring this up, Masers?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Why not both?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I love to see new kaiju, but a redesign of some classic kaiju is also welcome.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mikenes
EDF Instructor

Post by mikenes »

All in all, I just hope that they don't use Mothra. Let her RIP. She's the one that's waaaaaaaaaaaaay overused. I would say the same thing about Mechagodzilla, but I have a feeling that we will get a mech to fight him seeing how it looks like there will be some really high tech in it. I'm ok with Mechagodzilla, but NOT mothra, and we need lots of new kaiju. Toho can make so much money from this film. Anyway, I hope we get more information soon because it is already February and we've gotten next to nothing to go on in the last few months.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Have Anguirus team up with Godzilla to fight one new kaiju and one classic kaiju who are also teamed up.

It's a super original plan that no one will seem coming.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm in favour of new kaiju.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

1 classic, 1 new. Thats a good balance

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Isn't this the same sort of deal as Legendary's got, like Polygon would have to spend more on extra kaiju? In which case Godzilla's probably all we're getting of the classic monsters. Least that's my guess.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Vakanai wrote:Isn't this the same sort of deal as Legendary's got, like Polygon would have to spend more on extra kaiju? In which case Godzilla's probably all we're getting of the classic monsters. Least that's my guess.
If this is the case, it's refreshing to finally be in an era of primarily new creatures. I'm glad the classics will return for the Monsterverse, but the more unique foes, the better.

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

Hedorah please. Am I the only one not into the idea of them pumping out new monsters as opposed to using established classic ones?
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

I say "classic" monsters. And I mean "existing", not necessarily classic. Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah have been done to hell and back, can we please see:
  • Anguirus
    Gigan
    Megalon
    Titanosaurus
    Gorosaurus
    Baragon
    Hedorah
    Kumonga
    Kumacuras
    Biollante
    Battra
    SPACEGODZILLA WOULD BE PERFECT.
    M.O.G.U.E.R.A.
    Destoroyah
    Orga
    Megaguirus
    A new version or old version of Mechagodzilla
    Monster X / Keizer Ghidorah
I personally want monsters that we can have insane battles with. Space Godzilla's flight and telekinesis would be so awesome to see realized in animation. Megaguirus's super speed would be great to witness (imagine flash-stepping in a Godzilla battle). Orga'd be cool if we got new transformations. I seriously just want them to go absolutely nuts on us with this film, so the crazier the better, but there's such a wealth of untapped potential with some of these monsters that I don't want new ones, I want better utilized old ones.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Mostly classic and a few new. These guys would fit pretty well in my opinion.
1. Megalon
2. Gigan
3. Titanosaurus
4. Biollante
5. Orga
6. M.O.G.U.E.R.A
7. King Caesar
8. Battra
9. Spacegodzilla
10. Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah
11. Mechani-Kong
12. Anguirus
13. Gorosaurus
14. Kumonga
15. Kamacuras
16. Gabara
17. Megaguirus
18. Manda
19. Gezora
20. Kameobas
21. Ebirah
Resized Image

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

With that artwork style, I woud definitely pick up this kaiju:
Biollante
Megaguirus
Megalon
Destoroyah
Battra
Mothra
Kumonga
Kamacuras
And it would be cool if they design some new kaiju.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KingZillla wrote:Hedorah please. Am I the only one not into the idea of them pumping out new monsters as opposed to using established classic ones?
Im with you.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I'd rather dearly love to see some of the underutilized Showa classics make a comeback. Kumonga, Kamacuras, Titanosaurus, Anguirus, and Gabara would be pretty much my top choices, but maybe not as the main enemy. One or a few of them could show up in a supporting capacity, either as minor enemies or as allies, as long as they don't get the GFW treatment.

The Big Bad should either be Space Godzilla, who I agree could be spectacular in animated form, or somebody new. I would also be perfectly fine with an all-new lineup. Come to think of it, it's been a really long time since we've had a new monster show up in a role other than 'main enemy'. I think Battra was actually the last one that would fit that description. Unless Shin broke that streak, in which case DON'T correct me.

And for that matter, Battra is another monster in desperate need of a revival. He can easily fill pretty much any role the script would call for, so I'm kind of surprised we don't see more of him, especially given his connection to Mothra.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, since Polygon is making this (distributed by Toho), it'll be interesting to know if Toho gave them unlimited freedom to use any classic kaiju, or if they had to buy the rights to use more.

Really hope Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are not used for this since they're planned for the MonsterVerse.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

KingZillla wrote:Hedorah please. Am I the only one not into the idea of them pumping out new monsters as opposed to using established classic ones?
No, you are not. I don't understand that line of thinking among Godzilla fans. At this point, Godzilla has a classic rogues gallery. It's like, if there's a new Spider-man or Batman movie coming out, could you see the fans being like "eh, instead of classic baddies like Joker, Venom, Scarecrow, etc..I hope this movie makes up a new OC villain." With a rogue's gallery as large as Godzilla's, I see no need to keep inventing new villains especially since with so many of his classic enemies, Toho has barely even scratched the surface of their potential.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JesstrK wrote:
No, you are not. I don't understand that line of thinking among Godzilla fans. At this point, Godzilla has a classic rogues gallery. It's like, if there's a new Spider-man or Batman movie coming out, could you see the fans being like "eh, instead of classic baddies like Joker, Venom, Scarecrow, etc..I hope this movie makes up a new OC villain." With a rogue's gallery as large as Godzilla's, I see no need to keep inventing new villains especially since with so many of his classic enemies, Toho has barely even scratched the surface of their potential.
There's one huge difference here though: Warner Brothers' owns the studio that makes Batman movies and DC comics. It'd be hard to blame the movies for making new villains every film if say Disney were licensing the rights to make a Batman film and had to dish out a lot of extra cash for Joker or Riddler. Polygon is making this film with a license from Toho, and while we don't know any details at all about the arrangement, it wouldn't be wrong to think it might be a similar deal Legendary has (hence why Godzilla fought the MUTOs instead of some B rogues like Titanosaurus or Megalon). In which case the argument to use existing monsters makes less sense then making new kaiju they don't have to pay extra for.

Not saying that's the way it is, or that anyone is wrong for wanting older kaiju, but just showing why we probably shouldn't expect them from Polygon.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'd say both. I agree with the Godzilla "rogues gallery" argument for Legendary films. It's why I was against the idea of new monsters in 2014 instead of classic ones. Thank God the Mutos were cool though... But Toho does need to introduce some new monsters here and there. And anime would allow them to do monsters suitmation wouldn't be suitable (PUN!) or too costly for CGI and enhance existing monsters that could drastically need it. Anime Gigan, Megalon (Megalon Giga Drill Breaker...) and Hedorah really come to mind. But with Toho only distributing this... I'd say the ball is in anyone's court.

Just judging on what we've seen the world being post apocalyptic, I wouldn't be surprised to see some mook kaiju like Kamacuras show up. And MAYBE Biollante, going off of the overgrown state of the cities.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?