Godzilla Anime Appearance Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla Anime Appearance Discussion

Post by miguelnuva »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
SG-17 wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:I doubt that any non-Heisei incarnation Godzilla are literal dinosaurs (they only superficially resemble dinosaurs to begin with) and not just unspecified types of contemporary prehistoric reptiles, but that's besides the point. AnimeGoji looks reptilian and that's good enough, at least for me.

The franchise would almost certainly be dead by now if no radical, innovative changes were ever done at any point. Godzilla's exact taxonomic classification is, at the end of the day, pretty arbitrary to the character, this new incarnation being a plant is perfectly fine given, y'know, he still ultimately looks and (presumably) acts like what we've come to expect.
The MonsterVerse says otherwise.
Except monsterverse DID take a radical change to the Godzilla character.
By making him like 70's Godzilla?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Except monsterverse DID take a radical change to the Godzilla character.
By making him like 70's Godzilla?
Different origin, so thats pretty much a new/radical change. MV Godzilla doesn't attack humans often, barely. He was already big and radioactive- although that is in question with Showa. (See the "Is Showa Godzilla a Mutant?" thread )
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

The Monsterverse didn't really change anything about his origin. He's a massive prehistoric creature "awakened" by atomic power that feeds on radioactivity just as in 1954's Gojira. The only major difference is the atomic energy that awakened him, withbt4 being atomic tests and 2014 being a nuclear sub.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

ebirah_scampi wrote:The Monsterverse didn't really change anything about his origin. He's a massive prehistoric creature "awakened" by atomic power that feeds on radioactivity just as in 1954's Gojira. The only major difference is the atomic energy that awakened him, withbt4 being atomic tests and 2014 being a nuclear sub.
Actually, it did. Godzilla in the Monsterverse is an apathetic creature that isn't scarred or mutated and has apathetic feelings toward humanity(I know somebody is going to use the USS Lawton incident as an example, but JVR has stated it's a "TBD Monster AKA JVR-Kraken")
which actively searches for radiation to feed on. Godzilla 1954 is a piscivorous marine reptile that was scarred and mutated by the Atomic Bomb and seeks to actively kill humanity and causes death and destruction to exact revenge for his mutation.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

I never got the feeling that Goji 54 was actively seeking to kill and exact revenge on anyone, he was a terrifying force of nature but he wasn't anything like GMK Goji, who actually was seeking vengeance. Sure, he had scarring from the tests but there's no evidence indicating if the bomb mutated him in any way. Where are you getting him being piscivorous from?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

ebirah_scampi wrote:I never got the feeling that Goji 54 was actively seeking to kill and exact revenge on anyone, he was a terrifying force of nature but he wasn't anything like GMK Goji, who actually was seeking vengeance. Sure, he had scarring from the tests but there's no evidence indicating if the bomb mutated him in any way. Where are you getting him being piscivorous from?
Goji 54 WAS intending to exact vengeance on humanity. He attacks because humanity killed his family and horribly mutated him into an ever-suffering monstrosity. I don't believe that the Atomic beam was naturally present in his species, nor was his size. GMK was deliberately EVIL. He attacks because he can. GMK is possessed by all those killed in the pacific theater, and his mission is not to seek vengeance, but to kill as many as possible in japan just to remind them of their past. as for him being a piscivore, the Odo Islanders stated that Godzilla would eat their fishing stock dry, and then come ashore to feed off of humanity. Also, all evidence points toward Godzilla being an animal that eats like other animals do in the '54 film.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Yamane makes it pretty clear that Godzilla is a species that was awoken by the atomic tests, he never says he was mutated or made larger by the bomb, and given he simply acts like an animal in the film there's no evidence whatsoever to say he's deliberately attacking humanity for revenge.

As far as the Odo islanders go, their old legends don't really apply to Godzilla. He wasn't awoken until the early 50s and just so happened to be named after the monster of Odo myth, which was just a legend.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

ebirah_scampi wrote:Yamane makes it pretty clear that Godzilla is a species that was awoken by the atomic tests, he never says he was mutated or made larger by the bomb, and given he simply acts like an animal in the film there's no evidence whatsoever to say he's deliberately attacking humanity for revenge.

As far as the Odo islanders go, their old legends don't really apply to Godzilla. He wasn't awoken until the early 50s and just so happened to be named after the monster of Odo myth, which was just a legend.
I thought there was supplementary material that showed that Godzilla was horribly scarred by the bomb and that he was attacking humanity for killing his family? Anyway, Godzilla doesn't act like a normal animal, he returns to Tokyo after attacking once and completley razes the city. Normal animals don't do that.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
ebirah_scampi wrote:Yamane makes it pretty clear that Godzilla is a species that was awoken by the atomic tests, he never says he was mutated or made larger by the bomb, and given he simply acts like an animal in the film there's no evidence whatsoever to say he's deliberately attacking humanity for revenge.

I thought there was supplementary material that showed that Godzilla was horribly scarred by the bomb and that he was attacking humanity for killing his family? Anyway, Godzilla doesn't act like a normal animal, he returns to Tokyo after attacking once and completley razes the city. Normal animals don't do that.
Raccoons do that. Leave your trash out they will fuck it up, then they will return the following night to fuck it up again. What I'm getting at is animals are unpredictable. They will surprise scientist every step of the way. Godzilla is no different. If they know there is food they will return, (I know Godzilla doesn't eat humans) . Returning to Tokyo is his way of returning to something he enjoys. His "food" if you will, and that is destroying and burning shit to the ground.

Damn well I fucked up what I'm trying to say :huge:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

goji89 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:

Raccoons do that. Leave your trash out they will skreeonk it up, then they will return the following night to skreeonk it up again. What I'm getting at is animals are unpredictable. They will surprise scientist every step of the way. Godzilla is no different. If they know there is food they will return, (I know Godzilla doesn't eat humans) . Returning to Tokyo is his way of returning to something he enjoys. His "food" if you will, and that is destroying and burning shit to the ground.

Damn well I skreeonked up what I'm trying to say :huge:
Wouldn't Godzilla '54 enjoying his destruction of Tokyo make him somewhat...Sadistic or malicious though? From what I know, Godzilla is simply angry for being scarred and having his family killed in the atomic blast, not truly malicious and not really sadistic.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: I thought there was supplementary material that showed that Godzilla was horribly scarred by the bomb and that he was attacking humanity for killing his family? Anyway, Godzilla doesn't act like a normal animal, he returns to Tokyo after attacking once and completley razes the city. Normal animals don't do that.
Raccoons do that. Leave your trash out they will skreeonk it up, then they will return the following night to skreeonk it up again. What I'm getting at is animals are unpredictable. They will surprise scientist every step of the way. Godzilla is no different. If they know there is food they will return, (I know Godzilla doesn't eat humans) . Returning to Tokyo is his way of returning to something he enjoys. His "food" if you will, and that is destroying and burning shit to the ground.

Wouldn't Godzilla '54 enjoying his destruction of Tokyo make him somewhat...Sadistic or malicious though? From what I know, Godzilla is simply angry for being scarred and having his family killed in the atomic blast, not truly malicious and not really sadistic.
Wouldn't you consider him returning to destroy Tokyo time after time malicious and sadistic? He was angry but he came back.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

goji89 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

Wouldn't you consider him returning to destroy Tokyo time after time malicious and sadistic? He was angry but he came back.
So G54 is somewhat...evil? I never really thought of him as that, damn...

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

goji89 wrote: Wouldn't you consider him returning to destroy Tokyo time after time malicious and sadistic? He was angry but he came back.
He was peeved - took out his anger after being enraged further

He came back because he likes bright lights.

#GodzillaMothMentality

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
goji89 wrote: Wouldn't you consider him returning to destroy Tokyo time after time malicious and sadistic? He was angry but he came back.

#GodzillaMothMentality
Bright lights my foot. He knew what he was doing. He relished in the fact of knowing that the people were at his mercy. He wanted to torture them evident to the fact that he stayed close to the proximity. Intent. A sadistic and malicious act in of itself. The mental torture of knowing that he would come back at any time affected the innocent people of Japan.......Law and Order Kaiju style.

Undivided
Ronin

Post by Undivided »

goji89 wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:

#GodzillaMothMentality
Bright lights my foot. He knew what he was doing. He relished in the fact of knowing that the people were at his mercy. He wanted to torture them evident to the fact that he stayed close to the proximity. Intent. A sadistic and malicious act in of itself. The mental torture of knowing that he would come back at any time affected the innocent people of Japan.......Law and Order Kaiju style.

Hmmm...I must have watched a different cut of the '54 film. The version I watched (and continue to watch) never expressed so much as to film sequences that would give anyone the indication that Godzilla was attacking because his family was killed. And regardless of what may have been on a supplementary disc, non of that insight was portrayed or better conveyed through the '54 film.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

goji89 wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:

#GodzillaMothMentality
No, it was explicitly the bright lights reminding him of the bomb.

Godzilla has no idea what human beings are or what connection they have to the bomb.

Godzilla was driven out of the deep by the bomb and attacked fishing vessels because of their lights. He was driven to land because of the depth charge operation and attacked the city because of the lights on the buildings. Everything in the movie follows a clear line of cause and effect. Raids Again picked up on Godzilla's instinct towards light and applied the idea consistently.

Suggesting that Godzilla actually knew humans were responsible for what happened to him is obviously untenable. Its not like he could have asked anyone who caused the nuclear explosion.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Ivo-goji wrote: Suggesting that Godzilla actually knew humans were responsible for what happened to him is obviously untenable. Its not like he could have asked anyone who caused the nuclear explosion.
It's my head canon and I'm sticking to it..... :huge: .

Gojira is a sadistic prick.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The more I think about it, Godzilla's face looks like Dagahra a bit. With the evil grin and little beard.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Eh, I liked Shin and '14's designs better.
Monsters are the real people.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I'm usually pretty open to new looks when it comes to Godzilla - especially as part of the charm, at least to me, is the fact that he's an evolving, applicable concept. But man... G'17 just looks ugly, specifically in the face.

The recycled G'14 elements look fine (which isn't surprising, seeing as that design was really well crafted), as do the plant aspects. But, again... good God, that face. When it doesn't look like a melting wax figure, it looks like a goofy sock puppet of some kind. Going off the statue alone isn't very reliable, but that plus the smushed look of the MMS... he just looks off. I think it's the relaxed browline and human eyes that are getting me the most, besides the generally small proportions around the head.

Maybe it'll work with the character - if Godzilla is some kind of misunderstood tree spirit, it could work. But I can't see this guy being anything especially scary or imposing, besides maybe silhouettes or close-up body shots.