Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

This film isn't even comparable to Shin. Shin is the only film in the franchise to get a Japanese Academy Award (one off effects awards that aren't even a regular category don't count) while this is just a decent Part 1 for a trilogy. They've set out to do different things anyways.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Wasn't the original nominated at least? That's besides the point. They aren't comparable due to the fact that this is an episodic series not a standalone film. Thinking on it I figure that the pacing would have turned people off if it was a regular 12 episode anime with how little screen time Godzilla gets at the beginning of the film. This is definitely a strange film/anime to judge for various reasons.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

B34sT wrote:Wasn't the original nominated at least?
Think only for special effects.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Definitely got some G2000 vibes with the music. I know it's the same composer but it was kind of neat.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Japan Academy Prize didn't exist in 1954. It was a different organization.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Cookson wrote:Definitely got some G2000 vibes with the music. I know it's the same composer but it was kind of neat.
I got them too! There were a few Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla vibes too.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Cookson wrote:Definitely got some G2000 vibes with the music. I know it's the same composer but it was kind of neat.
With that in mind, Orga should have gotten much more than a mere cameo.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

So I just got finished with Godzilla: Planet of Monsters... I can't say I was impressed. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely wasn't great. I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Please note that this will contain spoilers.

First of all, the characters are really bland. The only name I can remember is Haruo. I remember that one captain who fought against Godzilla, the woman who piloted the power-suit, and the priest. That's it. The characters were just never given time to develop; if they were, this would've been an infinitely better movie. This is probably my biggest issue with the film; the characters are really dull.

Also, I'm not sure about you guys, but Godzilla wasn't intimidating at all. In the opening sequence, we see images of monsters attacking cities...but we never see Godzilla battle any of them. This was the perfect opportunity to make Godzilla more intimidating; show him absolutely leveling the other monsters. This would have made him more imposing, while also giving us some more action.

The animation doesn't help out either. Aide from the fact that we never see Godzilla truly do anything, his design and movement don't look good at all. It's as if the main cast is fighting a tree with laser beams. Not to mention, every other aspect of the animation is really stiff, if you ask me. The set pieces are nice, but the actual animation leaves a little to be desired.

On a more positive note, the soundtrack was pretty good. I can't remember any off of the top of my head, but it definitely worked while I was watching it. I especially like the music during, well... That scene. What scene am I talking about? Well, let's talk about that...
Spoiler:
This movie had quite possibly the dumbest ending in Godzilla film history. "Hooray! We destroyed Godzilla, and finally brought back humanity from the brink of extinction!"

"EXCEPT WE DIDN'T, ASSHOLE!!! That Godzilla was only a juvenile! The real Godzilla was resting underground!!!

Watch the sequel, douchebag!!!"

Seriously, am I the only one irked by this ending? This whole, "Destroy monster, but then it's revealed it wasn't the real one" cliche just pisses me off. What the hell did you accomplish by killing the weaker Godzilla? The "real" Godzilla reveal effectively erased the events of this film, because now, they're back at square one (if not further back)!
Anyway, those were my thoughts on this film. It was alright, I guess, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as it could have been.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Loganrules115 wrote:
The cameos are just to let people know there will be monster on monster/mech fights in the sequels, till then the first part is strictly about humans vs Godzilla.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:
The cameos are just to let people know there will be monster on monster/mech fights in the sequels, till then the first part is strictly about humans vs Godzilla.
That's the whole thing that bugs me. When you have a title like "Monster Planet" I expect there to be a wide variety of monsters.

Nairbzilla
Samurai

Post by Nairbzilla »

Loganrules115 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote: With that in mind, Orga should have gotten much more than a mere cameo.
That's the whole thing that bugs me. When you have a title like "Monster Planet" I expect there to be a wide variety of monsters.
Spoiler:
Yeah, with a title like Planet of the Mosnters, you'd expect there to be more than two Godzillas and a few Servum.

Added in 7 minutes 9 seconds:
And I've been wondering, why is this the plot of the movie? The backstory and footage reel at the beginning sounds like a much better film, at least to me.

Maybe because the conclusion would be strange?
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A fandom divided against itself cannot stand."

~Abraham Lincoln, if he was a Godzilla fan

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The Baranosdragon wrote:
Spoiler:
This movie had quite possibly the dumbest ending in Godzilla film history. "Hooray! We destroyed Godzilla, and finally brought back humanity from the brink of extinction!"

"EXCEPT WE DIDN'T, ASSHOLE!!! That Godzilla was only a juvenile! The real Godzilla was resting underground!!!
Seriously, am I the only one irked by this ending? This whole, "Destroy monster, but then it's revealed it wasn't the real one" cliche just pisses me off. What the hell did you accomplish by killing the weaker Godzilla? The "real" Godzilla reveal effectively erased the events of this film, because now, they're back at square one (if not further back)!
Spoiler:
By killing the smaller Godzilla (Filius), humanity proved that they can kill Godzilla. At least a Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The plot of the opening segment would probably be way funner but way more unfocused and stuff we’ve seen before a lot, just satisfying to fans to see obscure monsters. I agree it would be fun to see, and to something I want to, but I get why they strictly focused on this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Nairbzilla wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, with a title like Planet of the Mosnters, you'd expect there to be more than two Godzillas and a few Servum.

Added in 7 minutes 9 seconds:
And I've been wondering, why is this the plot of the movie? The backstory and footage reel at the beginning sounds like a much better film, at least to me.

Maybe because the conclusion would be strange?
The intro sequence should have been the first film in this trilogy. The one we got ought to have been the second installment, and Mechagodzilla's arrival can serve as the finale. I think far more people would be satisfied with the end product.
Last edited by Loganrules115 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
The Baranosdragon wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
By killing the smaller Godzilla (Filius), humanity proved that they can kill Godzilla. At least a Godzilla.
Spoiler:
From a story standpoint, sure. The problem comes in the fact that this twist was completely unnecessary, from a writing standpoint. I guess they just needed a reason for two more sequels.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Went in with low expectations (not an anime fan at all but I've seen a few) and Monster Planet had me going for awhile with the more interesting than usual scifi atmosphere, but pretty much after
Spoiler:
Haruo: "I need about 600 men for this operation.
someone else: "Preposterous!"
<quick cut to 600 men preparing>
the movie began dying a slow death for me with plot holes and general goofiness.

I don't get how Haruo went from imprisonment to guy whose plans everyone follows and leader of mankind. That's a big one.
I was irritated that Godzilla uses THE roar maybe four times and spends the rest of time grunting. That's a small one.

Movie has some aspects I found interesting but thought I'd be more enthralled by literally showing me computer graphics OF computer graphics.

Plainly, in the words of Elliot Leland, this Planet can go to hell.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^How Haruo went to prisoner to leader is very obvious: everyone was clearly already really agitated and willing to do anything, and clearly the situation had no viable outcome. Whatever the plan of the council was or whatever clearly wasn’t working, and that the council was mistrusted. Haruo in comparison to authority did not give up.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

Does anybody have a problem with Godzilla being so overpowered?
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Solia wrote:Does anybody have a problem with Godzilla being so overpowered?
Generally Godzilla has always been overpowered. One thing I admire about Shin and this, in contrast to some of the older films that have been retroactively given Godzilla super regeneration is that they actually make it really clear how Godzilla is so durable and so strong.

Living Corpse mentioned this in his video review but he also mentioned the 300m is a great way to stop the size wars. Like Legendary isn’t/can’t make Godzilla that big, and same for Shin (i Guess).

One thing that’s amusing is that if you compare the 300m to the original 50m Godzilla, irs almost like the bigger one is a Kaiju to a Kaiju size wise.
Spoiler:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I THOUGHT I just heard an advertisement for something Godzilla-related on Netflix, but I barely caught it, am I hallucinating or are things starting to pop up?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking