Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA ANIME ON THE HORIZON?

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

If they get a good animation studio, plus a good action choreographer, this could be some really intense shit. I'd trust Seiji Mizushima with Godzilla.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I always find it odd that people will label all anime as the stereotypical pervy fan service shit. But if someone makes fun of the Godzilla series for being dumb films with sweaty men in rubber suits, they are quick to point out that not all Godzilla films are super cheesy. It's almost like you can't judge or describe an entire medium or genre with a few cherry picked examples.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

To I don't think people who make those claims don't really watch anime anyway aside from purposely looking for perverted stuff to match their claims. Much like people people who make fun of the Godzilla franchise for being super cheesy also lack knowledge of the franchise as a whole.

That just goes for things in general, I've even seen some pretty misinformed claims on video games in the fandom from the older members of the fandom.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

"ANIME WILL RUIN GODZILLA! NOT MUH GODZILLA! ANNO ALREADY RUINED HIM!"

NOT MY NUCLEAR HUSBANDO!
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Wtf is THAT lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote:Wtf is THAT lol
Godzilland, of course! The first Godzilla anime series! :D

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GalacticPetey wrote:I always find it odd that people will label all anime as the stereotypical pervy fan service shit. But if someone makes fun of the Godzilla series for being dumb films with sweaty men in rubber suits, they are quick to point out that not all Godzilla films are super cheesy. It's almost like you can't judge or describe an entire medium or genre with a few cherry picked examples.
Not to mention a few G films had GASP pinups in the background, and a cyborg woman's breasts. But Toho hasn't done that shit in decades, we rarely get gore in Godzilla flicks, and they are considered usually more mature than Gamera which was mostly aimed at kids and had tons of gore. I seriously doubt Toho is gonna allow bouncing chest tumors in a Godzilla product. And if they have sex appeal in there it'd probably be so short, so minor (sexy scientist from GFW, anyone?), only a second if that and only happen once that it would not even register on most people's radar.

And that the kaiju genera pretty much is live action anime. Just watch the films, take the weird moments, plots, powers and cool cinematic things and put them into an anime. You'd find that it surprisingly fits in. It's why I mentioned earlier I'm surprised the anime and daikaiju fanbase don't overlap more.

Seriously, Godzilla vs Gigan feels like an anime, you have this weird alien thing with buzzsaws controlled by space roaches who run an amusement park. If I never saw the film, never knew it was a Godzilla film and you just told me these things my first thought would be it's an anime.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

People seem to not get that Godzilla X Mechagodzilla was basically a live action mecha anime film.

Socially detached protagonist that pilots a robot that is built around the very thing they are fighting against that has a limited energy source when in use and also sometimes goes berserk. Sounds an awful lot like a popular anime from the 90's if you ask me.

Anyways, I, for one, welcome our new animated kajiu overlords.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I can dig it if it's good. The haters seem to be forgetting that good anime does exist. Cowboy Bebop is amazingly written and everything and it is an anime. Anime isn't always bad. It's an art form. Most art forms as big as anime at least have SOME good examples of themselves.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Besides, kaiju already inhabit anime. NGE is a prime example of giant creatures with varying powers. Big O had a couple as well.

The difference is this one is going to star a kaiju that's a household name.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

cmdmstudios wrote:People seem to not get that Godzilla X Mechagodzilla was basically a live action mecha anime film.
Thank you

And Godzilla vs Megagurias. The delayed claw falling off is a ninja thing, the delayed building falling apart. And I'll say it again, the plots for Godzilla vs Gigan and the two Showa Mechagodzilla films come off as plots to an anime. Godzilla vs Biollante's spirit sub plot is weird enough and fuck that movie was planed to have an actual anime scene. And Godzilla vs Hedorah actually DID have anime scenes in it.

And Ultraman and Gamera REALLY feel like live action anime.
edgaguirus wrote:Besides, kaiju already inhabit anime. NGE is a prime example of giant creatures with varying powers. Big O had a couple as well.

The difference is this one is going to star a kaiju that's a household name.
And Attack on Titan. And we are getting Godzilla, Ultraman and and Eva unit in the same game, assuming it didn't get canceled.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Honestly, I don't care what it is as long as it delivers as a Godzilla series. The only anime Ive ever truly been interested in was Watamote, out if sheer love for the character writing and slice-of-life appeal. That said, just because I enjoyed that, doesn't mean I want this series to be just like it. Just because certain people like or dislike one or another thing about anime, doesn't dictate the rest of the crowd.

Toho knows what they're doing, especially proven after Shin's apparent wild success.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's a lot of anime that I will never care to watch. Still trying to define all anime by say Pokemon is like defining all American animation by The Simpsons.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Wouldn't the only ones to trust with this be the Evagelion crew?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I always imagine like Digimon meets Attack on Titan when I think of an ideal Godzilla TV anime series. Heck, I even made a thread dedicated to my idea on this site.
Link: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25228
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Gallavant123
Samurai

Post by Gallavant123 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
G2000 wrote: I know I'm screaming into a void here, but I'd give it a try. You might liiike it...
Maybe... But I'm also just starting out on anime for the first time. I've only seen ONE show so far (or two, depending on whether you're the type who considers Avatar to be an anime), and at this early stage, avoiding something as polarizing as Eva might be for the better. If I watch it, I doubt it'll be within the year.
Three important things about this anime:

-It's literally polarizing, because that was the intention: Genre deconstruction. It starts out in the most generic fashion possible and then acts as a reverse-parody of all the then-common themes. It doesn't exactly drop the original action based premise, things just go awry over time as the plot progresses, akin to a horror movie intensifying. What should be kept lighthearted or unrealistic instead slowly becomes more realistic and serious, what should be somewhat realistic instead becomes even more unrealistic, what is normally overlooked is now emphasized and so on. It can be interesting to see how this is used to convey meaning, what themes it references and what original elements later media have more or less taken from it.
-Theory inducing symbolic mindfuck plot. What is explained can be confusing enough if you don't pay attention but occasionally there's intentionally out of place things that may have major plot significance.. in other words, the conspiracy nut's anime. Going back to the first point, spoon-feeding the plot was more the norm.
-Watch the original 90s series first, then End of Evangelion, then Rebuilds, for the reason above, as well as to not spoil yourself with the superior visuals.

But yea, you might wanna watch more anime first, even some of the more generic anime tropes are sort of parodied.
Last edited by Gallavant123 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

In all seriousness, though, I'll be interested to see how this pans out.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I just wish people -- both fans and detractors -- would stop discussing "anime" as if it's a genre.

It's not a genre. It's a regional identifier for content within the broader medium of animation -- content with its own set of regional tropes in both production techniques and visual shortcuts, sure -- but content that sees a range of styles and genres just like animation from anywhere else.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Rodan wrote:I just wish people -- both fans and detractors -- would stop discussing "anime" as if it's a genre.

It's not a genre. It's a regional identifier for content within the broader medium of animation -- content with its own set of regional tropes in both production techniques and visual shortcuts, sure -- but content that sees a range of styles and genres just like animation from anywhere else.
I agree with you mate. Kudos. ;)
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Rodan wrote:I just wish people -- both fans and detractors -- would stop discussing "anime" as if it's a genre.

It's literally Japanese Cartoons. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't try to make it so artsy fartsy.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.