Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by Grievous »

phantomsdaydreams wrote:but pretending they aren't real Godzilla movies is silly.
Is it okay to do that with the Glass Iguana from 98?

On Topic:

Man...the more I think about these films especially The Planet Eater...
the more depressed I find them.

Basically everyone dies. Like does anyone know how many humans
from the Aratrum actually survived returning to Earth?

And I guess at the end of the day humanity will spend the rest of
its history living in caves & sh!tting in creeks.

I'm also guessing the Exif & Bilusaludo are extinct as well yeah?

The main "hero" kills himself & the remaining chance for advanced
technology...as well as his brain dead lover/friend leaving behind a
child to be raised without a father...

Jesus. H Christ...

Did the writing team come off their medication after the first film?

Also...I have some questions:

Why do we never see the ocean? Couldn't humanity set up a colony
on the ocean turning their spaceships into boats? I don't think these
versions of Godzilla are that keen on swimming.

If the Exif simply wanted to "feed" Ghidorah...then why didn't they
summon the Planet Eater earlier when the Earth contained more life
& possibly more monsters?

I just want to state that I do like these films...they just...well...
the story is so depressing.

Monsters takeover Earth...
Humans & Aliens leave Earth...
Humans & Aliens return to Earth...
Aliens turn out to be evil...
Humans & Aliens Die...
The End.

What was the point of all this?

Nothing changed...well...apart from the Houtua's gene pool expanding
slightly.

Yay?
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

That's all Urobutcher's handiwork taking effect.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Grievous wrote:
phantomsdaydreams wrote:but pretending they aren't real Godzilla movies is silly.
Is it okay to do that with the Glass Iguana from 98?

On Topic:

Man...the more I think about these films especially The Planet Eater...
the more depressed I find them.

Basically everyone dies. Like does anyone know how many humans
from the Aratrum actually survived returning to Earth?

And I guess at the end of the day humanity will spend the rest of
its history living in caves & sh!tting in creeks.

I'm also guessing the Exif & Bilusaludo are extinct as well yeah?

The main "hero" kills himself & the remaining chance for advanced
technology...as well as his brain dead lover/friend leaving behind a
child to be raised without a father...

Jesus. H Christ...

Did the writing team come off their medication after the first film?

Also...I have some questions:

Why do we never see the ocean? Couldn't humanity set up a colony
on the ocean turning their spaceships into boats? I don't think these
versions of Godzilla are that keen on swimming.

If the Exif simply wanted to "feed" Ghidorah...then why didn't they
summon the Planet Eater earlier when the Earth contained more life
& possibly more monsters?

I just want to state that I do like these films...they just...well...
the story is so depressing.

Monsters takeover Earth...
Humans & Aliens leave Earth...
Humans & Aliens return to Earth...
Aliens turn out to be evil...
Humans & Aliens Die...
The End.

What was the point of all this?

Nothing changed...well...apart from the Houtua's gene pool expanding
slightly.

Yay?
I wish! Ha I cant say I hold any love or nostalgia for the film but, sadly, I'd still have to say one should count it because it's a properly licensed (albeit not handled) adaptation approved by Toho. A sub-section involving original American adaptations of the property, maybe, but I think once you start dividing further than that, the idea of canon becomes extremely muddled.

On-topic: I think the the ending is meant to be more bittersweet than outright depressing. The merging of Humanity and the Hotua is really just integration, so in that sense, "Humanity" has found a way forward. And yes, super-advanced technology would now be a long ways off, but I think that we can safely assume that any remaining humans (at least a dozen, given that montage) likely had some expertise in varying fields enough to not be a 100% history wipe. Also, medicinal knowledge would survive thanks to the doctor. I think that Haruo's decision to rid them of the Vulture was so that the tech that could be used for ill would be gone, at least delaying "Humanity's" descent towards the same fate as before.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 am, edited 5 times in total.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

MOST IMPORTANT: There is AT LEAST 2-3 sets of computer banks still lying around in the mountains near the remains of MG City and that outpost they watched the battle in 'Planet Eater' from. I feel like this is forgotten and I find it hilarious. Imagine if early man had like...3 supercomputers just lying around. XD I feel like this will cause a lot of problems down the line.

P.S- Not to mention remains of battle mechs, hover bikes, landing ships, etc. Though in their case, part salvage might be the best you could hope for.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I always hear people bring up the dangerous of technology in this anime, but haven’t herd one person mention the dangerous of religion which is also touched up on in the third installment.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I always hear people bring up the dangerous of technology in this anime, but haven’t herd one person mention the dangerous of religion which is also touched up on in the third installment.
I think that's one of the biggest points in the series, and it's definitely the "why" for the post-credits scene.
It's like a battle of good fanaticism against dangerous fanaticism.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I always hear people bring up the dangerous of technology in this anime, but haven’t herd one person mention the dangerous of religion which is also touched up on in the third installment.
Hmmm yeah, there’s literal blind fantaticism, with Ghidorah being invisible at first to the followers, and then Metphies giving up his eye.

Also despite how crazy it all wound up, I believe after being defeated horribly twice, after years of desperation and failure, that yeah a lot of humans would indeed turn to the cult.

The Mothra religion thing seemed much more relaxed. Less like a religion and more like a lifestyle imo.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Hmmm yeah, there’s literal blind fantaticism, with Ghidorah being invisible at first to the followers, and then Metphies giving up his eye.

Also despite how crazy it all wound up, I believe after being defeated horribly twice, after years of desperation and failure, that yeah a lot of humans would indeed turn to the cult.

The Mothra religion thing seemed much more relaxed. Less like a religion and more like a lifestyle imo.
I felt like the Mothra thing was religious but a religion that was focused on making peace with the environment you find yourself in. Not just in terms of the planet but finding a way to live in harmony with nature and yourself. The danger wasn't necessarily religion but the emotions that drive you or consume you. Hauro wasn't religious but his hatred of Godzilla could be argued to be as destructive as the Exift and their belief.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

No it was obviously shown that in the right circumstance, you can use religion as a tactic for your own nifarious purposes, it’s been going on since religion was invented.

The Mothra folk was much more a lifestyle, a very nice less destructive lifestyle.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:The Mothra folk was much more a lifestyle, a very nice less destructive lifestyle.
Cave Dwelling Hippies is the term I'd use.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Grievous wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:The Mothra folk was much more a lifestyle, a very nice less destructive lifestyle.
Cave Dwelling Hippies is the term I'd use.
You’re not wrong.
#slatternking

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:No it was obviously shown that in the right circumstance, you can use religion as a tactic for your own nifarious purposes, it’s been going on since religion was invented.

The Mothra folk was much more a lifestyle, a very nice less destructive lifestyle.
You can use anything for any cause given the right circumstance.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I could be wrong, but I'm getting a 'coming to terms with Humanity being a temporary phenomenon' vibe from the trilogy.

Anyone else think the Bilusaludo were all parthenogenetic females?
Last edited by Shin Gabara on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . .

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shin Gabara wrote:I could be wrong, but I'm getting a 'coming to terms with Humanity being a temporary phenomenon' vibe from the trilogy.

Anyone else think the Bilusaludo were all parthenogenetic females?
If you just mean they reproduce asexually, yeah. They had a lot more members shown then the Exif, so the ratio of males to nonexistent females+the whole metal thing would lead to that conclusion.

Also, while writing this, I sortve realized that in a way the Barusaldos are not only a throwback to the black hole aliens, but also the Kilaaks. The Kilaaks were briefly shown to actually be life forms made out of metal and reverted to their natural state in hot environments.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I was just watching DAM the other night, and that scene brought Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems to mind.
. . .

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

cloverfan98 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I felt like the Mothra thing was religious but a religion that was focused on making peace with the environment you find yourself in. Not just in terms of the planet but finding a way to live in harmony with nature and yourself. The danger wasn't necessarily religion but the emotions that drive you or consume you. Hauro wasn't religious but his hatred of Godzilla could be argued to be as destructive as the Exift and their belief.
Trying to be kinda objective here, but it's pretty much impossible the way it is now. So for best comparison with modern religions...

Ghidorah Cult= Well, any kind of radical form of most religions out there. Radical Christians, Radical Musilms, etc.
Mothra Tribe= Buddhism, most likely. Based on the whole "at peace with nature" vibe they have.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Mothra Tribe= Buddhism, most likely. Based on the whole "at peace with nature" vibe they have.
Speaking as a bit of a Buddhist myself, Buddhism isn't (or at least Buddhists aren't) all sunshine and rainbows that it's made out to be. We're just as susceptible to violence, extremism, and fanaticism as any other group.
Just look up the violent, murderous attacks committed by Buddhists in places like Sri Lanka and Myanmar against Muslims. Sometimes even perpetrated by monks!

Being "at peace" maybe a goal; but we, as a species, manage to fuck it up no matter what path we take as often as not.

EDIT: A bit off topic, I know; but I felt that I really had to put it out there no one is immune to this sort of thing. No matter how "at peace" they may be.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The Houtua definitely have polytheistic vibes on them, I felt a lot of Shinto inspiration.

I recall reading somewhere Goji's complexion was based around some kind of Shinto guardians and sacred trees or something like that.

Can't really talk about Buddhism, I'm not that well informed, but I believe that religion doesn't have a true concept of a deity/deities?
Last edited by Destorogoji on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

miguelnuva wrote:
You can use anything for any cause given the right circumstance.
Well yeah, but usually religion being used to manipulate people is the most effective way. It's all a mental game. Especially when hope and moral are utterly defeated, that's why Metphies was so effective in executing his plan at the right moment - the events of part 1 and 2 are super dire situations, way more so than the losses in the past. It's why the Exif failed in brainwashing humanity when they first arrived.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m curious what the budget was on all this and if the slideshow towards the end was them literally running out of money.