Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by Dv-218 »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:Finally was able to watch it. I was better than I expected, though still a big let down for me.
PotM: 3.5-4/10
CotEoB: 5.5/10
PE: 6-6.5/10

I just found that whole thing to not work on so many levels that even though I found each part better than the one before, it was still so dragged down by all the bad in it and from it's predecessors.
Gojira2K wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:The ending told me that
Spoiler:
Haruo was unable to change his ways, he couldn't let go of his hate for Godzilla and thus knew as long as he was alive there was a chance Ghidorah would return. I feel a better ending would have been him coming to terms with Godzilla and stopping Ghidorah that way and instead sending Yuko and the Vulture to Godzilla showing that he was letting his past go. (He also should have slept with the twin he met in the second film)
God Ghidorah was a beast though.
Spoiler:
That would be an ending I would prefer a lot more. I completely get the ending, I just thought it needed more better build up. Even though I read the spoilers back when it released in Japan, it just felt way to sudden. I would have liked to have seen him at least try to let of his hatred for Godzilla. Or maybe even he inadvertently summons Ghidorah again. Maybe we could even have a scene where Ghidorah actually communicates telepathically with Haruo. Make him even psychologically terrifying than Metphies. Then Haruo realizes that the only way to truly stop Ghidorah is his own death.
I have to agree with this though. That would have made for a far more resonate, compelling, and frankly interesting and entertaining ending.

Last thoughts: Once again we got gypped on seeing King Ghidorah's full form and on Mothra in this film…
after having the same done to Mechagodzilla in the second…
after having the same done to every other non-Godzilla kaiju in the first…
and never getting to see Godzilla himself do much of anything!

I read the spoilers and interviews, so I knew that it was coming; but, damn, they really dropped the ball on the kaiju. It hurts even more given how truly powerful, alien, and outright Lovecraftian Ghidorah was this time around!
This 100%. Imo the portrayal of the Kaiju in the anime just has "wasted potential" plastered all over it. The fact that they did so many interesting things with them that just end up being wasted in seconds just boggles my mind. Imo Ghidorah didn't feel like half of the threat he should have been, and Godzilla is literally just a fucking statue.

And the fact that Mothra got shafted this badly legit makes me wonder what the whole buildup in COTEOB and "Project Mechagodzilla" was for. This trilogy seems to enjoy setting up things that go absolutely nowhere :lol:

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Dv-218 wrote:
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:Finally was able to watch it. I was better than I expected, though still a big let down for me.
PotM: 3.5-4/10
CotEoB: 5.5/10
PE: 6-6.5/10

I just found that whole thing to not work on so many levels that even though I found each part better than the one before, it was still so dragged down by all the bad in it and from it's predecessors.
Gojira2K wrote:
Spoiler:
That would be an ending I would prefer a lot more. I completely get the ending, I just thought it needed more better build up. Even though I read the spoilers back when it released in Japan, it just felt way to sudden. I would have liked to have seen him at least try to let of his hatred for Godzilla. Or maybe even he inadvertently summons Ghidorah again. Maybe we could even have a scene where Ghidorah actually communicates telepathically with Haruo. Make him even psychologically terrifying than Metphies. Then Haruo realizes that the only way to truly stop Ghidorah is his own death.
I have to agree with this though. That would have made for a far more resonate, compelling, and frankly interesting and entertaining ending.

Last thoughts: Once again we got gypped on seeing King Ghidorah's full form and on Mothra in this film…
after having the same done to Mechagodzilla in the second…
after having the same done to every other non-Godzilla kaiju in the first…
and never getting to see Godzilla himself do much of anything!

I read the spoilers and interviews, so I knew that it was coming; but, damn, they really dropped the ball on the kaiju. It hurts even more given how truly powerful, alien, and outright Lovecraftian Ghidorah was this time around!
This 100%. Imo the portrayal of the Kaiju in the anime just has "wasted potential" plastered all over it. The fact that they did so many interesting things with them that just end up being wasted in seconds just boggles my mind. Imo Ghidorah didn't feel like half of the threat he should have been, and Godzilla is literally just a skreeonking statue.

And the fact that Mothra got shafted this badly legit makes me wonder what the whole buildup in COTEOB and "Project Mechagodzilla" was for. This trilogy seems to enjoy setting up things that go absolutely nowhere :lol:
I feel like if they had done a show, it could have been so much better. Characters could've been fleshed out, concepts explored, and justice could be done to the kaiju.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Mothra already had her time to shine in the novel, I don’t really see how she could have fit.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Mothra already had her time to shine in the novel, I don’t really see how she could have fit.
I am not really that versed with the events of the novels, how much did Mothra actually feature? I legitimately have no idea.
Last edited by Gojira2K on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Gojira2K wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Mothra already had her time to shine in the novel, I don’t really see how she could have fit.
I am not really that versed with the events of the novels, how much did Mothra actually feature? I legitimately have no idea.
She and Battra have some shit about waking up simultaneously to defeat Godzilla, but he managed to kill both?

Idk, here it is in video form

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8Bcoz4oko
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

This would have been better served as a full series consisting of a season or two but as it stands I still enjoyed these films quite a bit. If this was the first Godzilla films we had since 2004 I would probably think far less highly of the series but between Shin Godzilla and KOTM this trilogy was an awesome way to explore the character in between the major releases.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Gojira2K wrote:
Ok, after going through the timeline myself, Battra wakes up, almost kills Godzilla but gets killed, centuries later, Mothra awakens and begins pushing Godzilla back, it’s explained if Battra we’re still alive, they would have killed him, Mothra gets wounded by Godzilla and gives her last two eggs to Japan where one is worshipped by the Mothra tribe.
#slatternking

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Just finished it. I like Planet Eater more than the last two movies. But it is still such a snooze fest in parts. At least the climax and ending were pretty good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Gojira2K wrote:
Ok, after going through the timeline myself, Battra wakes up, almost kills Godzilla but gets killed, centuries later, Mothra awakens and begins pushing Godzilla back, it’s explained if Battra we’re still alive, they would have killed him, Mothra gets wounded by Godzilla and gives her last two eggs to Japan where one is worshipped by the Mothra tribe.
I just watched the videos you had originally posted. I really wish we had gotten an animated version of those. They great to be honest!
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gojira2K wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Gojira2K wrote: I am not really that versed with the events of the novels, how much did Mothra actually feature? I legitimately have no idea.
I just watched the videos you had originally posted. I really wish we had gotten an animated version of those. They great to be honest!
This tbh. Imo the novels and their storyline are much more fitting for an anime series than what they went with. Actual drama, stakes, good storytelling, actual monster action and an actual sense of despair are what makes them superior in my opinion.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dv-218 wrote:
This tbh. Imo the novels and their storyline are much more fitting for an anime series than what they went with. Actual drama, stakes, good storytelling, actual monster action and an actual sense of despair are what makes them superior in my opinion.
Good storytelling? Weren't the novels just event after event after event? I'm not saying they didn't have cool ideas; I just felt the movies had an equal feeling of despair since they revolve around humanity's literal last battles. Not to mention the stakes were arguably relying on definite choices.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

None of you even know what the novels are like, they’re in Japanese and I know none of you know how to read it since half of you are 16 and under, how can you prefer the novels?

Sounds like half of you are just asshurt you didn’t get any monster battles.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:None of you even know what the novels are like, they’re in Japanese and I know none of you know how to read it since half of you are 16 and under, how can you prefer the novels?

I don't think it's quite fair to go that far, but I do agree that the novels have the benefit of not having to follow through on their ideas (to a western audience mostly unable to read them), thus making them more likable than a trilogy that got equal hype about its concept before it came out and proved to be very decisive. Ideas out of context will almost always prove more attractive than ones executed.

That said, while I love the premise of the novels, I really enjoyed this bizarre detour for the franchise and I'm glad they chose this portion of the story to adapt. It was far from perfect, but extremely interesting and enjoyable enough, sometimes very much so. For context, my opinion is as follows.

Planet of the Monsters: 7
City on the Edge of Battle: 7.5
Planet Eater: 7.5
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Good storytelling? Weren't the novels just event after event after event? I'm not saying they didn't have cool ideas; I just felt the movies had an equal feeling of despair since they revolve around humanity's literal last battles. Not to mention the stakes were arguably relying on definite choices.
I dunno, I guess the novels feel a little more...relatable? Due to the fact that they take place in a more or less modern time, which allowed for the effects of the emergence of kaiju seem more impactful. Just my opinion tho, fine if you disagree.

Added in 1 minute 8 seconds:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:None of you even know what the novels are like, they’re in Japanese and I know none of you know how to read it since half of you are 16 and under, how can you prefer the novels?

Ah, and here's exhibit number 2 of the "huehue you no like it becuz no monstr fights" hyperbole. Thanks for showcasing this for educational purposes, pretty humble of you :D
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
I don't think that it IS good storytelling, but it COULD be good storytelling. I feel like the way its appears to be structured, with a few tweaks and additions, it could very easily be made into a amazing TV series.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gojira2K wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
I don't think that it IS good storytelling, but it COULD be good storytelling. I feel like the way its appears to be structured, with a few tweaks and additions, it could very easily be made into a amazing TV series.
Tbh this is what i'm thinking. Like yes, it's clearly prequel novel filler, but it has the right material in it to make it a pretty decent anime show imo.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

lol, yeah who's the say the monster battles that we only know of because somebody trasnslated those bits aren't tiny fragments of the story? If they aren't then it's likely Final Wars-esque fan service, monsters for the sake of monsters. I'm not shitting on anybody here in particular or trying to antagonize anybody but it always seems like the fandom as a whole cares more about premises and concepts than execution. How many people jerk off over G14 just because it's a big budget take on Godzilla that respects the monster while shitting on G98 only because they don't like Godzilla in it? How many people think Miki Seagusa is a good, fleshed out character only because she appears in multiple flicks?
Spoiler:
How many people like the original Godzilla only because it's serious and was critically acclaimed decades after the fact?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

lol, yeah who's the say the monster battles that we only know of because somebody trasnslated those bits aren't tiny fragments of the story? If they aren't then it's likely Final Wars-esque fan service, monsters for the sake of monsters. I'm not shitting on anybody here in particular or trying to antagonize anybody but it always seems like the fandom as a whole cares more about premises and concepts than execution. How many people jerk off over G14 just because it's a big budget take on Godzilla that respects the monster while shitting on G98 only because they don't like Godzilla in it? How many people think Miki Seagusa is a good, fleshed out character only because she appears in multiple flicks?
Spoiler:
How many people like the original Godzilla only because it's serious and was critically acclaimed decades after the fact?
But duh fights in anime moviez suck, where mechagodzilla?
Totally agree, this fandom seriously needs to understand the difference between idea and execution. Not to mention that films dont live or die based on the fights alone

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Dv-218 wrote:

Ah, and here's exhibit number 2 of the "huehue you no like it becuz no monstr fights" hyperbole. Thanks for showcasing this for educational purposes, pretty humble of you :D
It’s better than acting like you know anything about the novels when you can’t even read them.

Added in 3 minutes 18 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

Spoiler:
You hit the nail on the head so hard it’s scary, especially the Miki Seagusa thing. It’s the reason I ignore half the posts on here, people are just ignorant to certain things like execution.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

It really isn't tho. I admit I might have gone overboard a little based on just a couple of descriptions, and yes- they are not particulary fleshed out from what it seems. But from what I did see/hear, it sounds much more compelling in the way it portrays the struggle of people living in a kaiju infested world (you know, a monster planet ;)) and fitting for an anime series than the actual anime- in my opinion that is. If you disagree and you are fine with the way the trilogy played out, more power to you.

On the other hand, making hastly assumed and swift generalizations about the reasons people dislike the anime because you find yourself disagreeing with them comes off as rather petty and makes you look like a pretentious asshat for no reason. And not only that, but it seems to be a recurring theme around here and on other sites. This, in turn, begs the question: who's really the one "asshurt" here? :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.