Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:An anime should not have stiff heisei fights
Godzilla The Series managed to have interesting and compelling fight scenes without getting as campy and over the top as the 70s era. They really took advantage animations freedom giving us all kinds of great shots. Shame Toho didn't want to take notes from it but hey at least we can say that America has made the best Godzilla animations :lol:
Last edited by Godzillian on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dv-218 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:An anime should not have stiff heisei fights. Say what you will abot the 2000s films, they at least brought back tooth and claw.
I completely 2nd this. ESPECIALLY because it's an anime, they don't have any suit or set restrictions. The potential is limitless, yet it feels limited in the actual anime movies.
And 2014, when we actually did get to see the monsters fight, it was a breath of fresh air to see Godzilla sumo push the FeMUTO and HukMUTO spin around his neck like an acrobat and jump on Godzilla's neck several times to try and break it.

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
Godzillian wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:An anime should not have stiff heisei fights
Godzilla The Series managed to have interesting and compelling fight scenes without getting as campy and over the top as the 70s era. They really took advantage animations freedom giving us all kinds of great shots. Shame Toho didn't want to take notes from it but hey at least we can say that America has made the best Godzilla animations :lol:
Yeah I noticed the irony that G'98 got a cartoon adaption that not only was made by fans that got it unlike the 98 film, but seem to get it better than an anime.

Godzilla and anime shouldn't be hard, and yet the cartoon that is based off a movie that was embarrassed by it's source material is kicking it's ass. Go figure.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Dv-218 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:An anime should not have stiff heisei fights. Say what you will abot the 2000s films, they at least brought back tooth and claw.
I completely 2nd this. ESPECIALLY because it's an anime, they don't have any suit or set restrictions. The potential is limitless, yet it feels limited in the actual anime movies.
That and the MonsterVerse! That's an example of taking full advantage of great CGI. The monsters feel alive and fight like animals. Meanwhile in the Anime....

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

All of the above lol. GTS, the Millenium series and the Legendary movies are proof that interesting hand to hand combat=/=showa acrobatics, kung fu and pro-wrestling tricks.

I mean, some might say that this is not the point of the anime movies, but if that is so, why introduce other monsters in the first place? Why not utilize something to it's full potential if it's already there? Especially if there are no limitations? Instead, we get a stiff Godzilla, a useless Mechahodzilla, an even more useless Mothra and what shapes up to be a dissapointing Ghidorah. Might as well remove them completely to focus on that deep-ass Shakespearean drama they claim it is :lol:

I will give some credit to this trilogy for being the weird, out there experiment it is, but I really hope it also serves as a lesson if there is to be another Godzilla anime.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

At least we get smexy waifus.....

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:At least we get smexy waifus.....
Not gonna argue with that :lol:

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Dv-218 wrote:
Gals who fall head over heels for a dunce like Haruo don't have much going on upstairs. I like a girl with brains, thank you. :|
Last edited by Desghidorah on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Desghidorah wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Gals who fall head over heels for a dunce like Haruo don't have much going on upstairs. I like a girl with brains, thank you. :|
That i'm also not gonna argue with. They are basically written as nothing more than obsessive fangirls of the main lead lol.
Spoiler:
Not to mention, he's apperantly also a piece of sh*t father :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Dv-218 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
That i'm also not gonna argue with. They are basically written as nothing more than obsessive fangirls of the main lead lol.
Spoiler:
How exactly does sacrificing yourself so a lovecraftian elder god cannot return and kill everyone make you a shitty father?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Probably a good idea to not argue/bicker/defend a written synopsis when none of us have even seen it yet. Wait until January before you debate the end of the film.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:
Spoiler:
How exactly does sacrificing yourself so a lovecraftian elder god cannot return and kill everyone make you a shitty father?
Is that why he does it? The way the synopsis phrases that made me think that it's just him going full mental.

Anyway, I agree with UltramanGoji that it's better to discuss the ending after the movie releases outside of Japan.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Dv-218 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Spoiler:
Is that why he does it? The way the synopsis phrases that made me think that it's just him going full mental.

Anyway, I agree with UltramanGoji that it's better to discuss the ending after the movie releases outside of Japan.
His right eye hurts and he gets messages from Ghidorah and Metphies, because he's now the anchor thanks to the fight he had with metphies.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I also recommend spoiler tags on all plot that isn't outside of trailers. Since this film isn't really released outside of the theatrical scene, and not all of us live in the glorious land of the rising sun and dedicate our lives to understanding the master language of Nippon.

That would be nice - since I don't want to beat somebody for spoiling the movie because
Spoiler:
is hard.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah if Haruo
Spoiler:
is a potential risk for Ghidorah coming back then having Godzilla kill him to give his family a fighting chance is way better than 'meh just kill me Godzilla.'

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yes please, we already have a spoiler thread for this. I really, REALLY don't want to get spoiled on this.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Woo boy, I've got a lot to unpack: Ghidorah's full-body concept art, the interview, and the leaked plot. I'll just start by saying that I'm going to avoid discussing the plot until it comes on Netflix and I see it for myself cause' I don't want any spoilers on here either. I will say however, that what I did read made it feel like a logical conclusion to the story but it didn't change my feelings on the series--which is what everyone else seems to be saying anyways, so no spoilers from there.

Ghidorah's full body design has got me conflicted. On one hand, I think it's a good look for a totally alien Ghidorah--it's strange, it's threatening, it fits the aesthetic of the trilogy, it's inspired yet familiar. *inhales* BUT I don't think it makes a lot of sense given its presence in the film. When I first saw Ghidorah in the posters and trailers, I thought it was going to be a completely abstract take where Ghidorah's entire body consisted of either A) a never ending serpentine body made of Ghidorah's heads perpetually braiding themselves together, or B) three heads connected by impossibly long necks to the mysterious light we see in the void. Either one would have felt fitting for such an eldritch take on the King of Terror, and would have been right up there with an oil refinery with turrets a city made from Mechagodzilla's parts, in my honest opinion. Then whenever I compare the Ghidorah we see in the film and the one we see in the concept art, it doesn't gel together in my mind. I think what they were trying to convey just how huge this Ghidorah is, but all I can think of is Ghidorah sticking its heads into a bunch of holes while its body just helplessly flaps in place in the void.

As for the interview and commentary, well, all I can say is that clears up a lot of their intentions. I can't get give the directors and Urobochi a very hard time for making the choices that they did--they were given their orders from Toho and did their best to fulfill them, and I still respect them for attempting a new take on the Godzilla mythos. *inhaling intensifies* BuuUuut, I still don't agree with how they executed their ideas, or even Toho's demands. For instance, I still don't think that they succeded at creating a very engaging cast of characters like 1954. Trying to compare a brilliant but mentally and physically scared war veteran to another aggro seinen protagonist, for instance, is a heck of a strech; Yuuko still pales in comparison to other kaiju movie heroines AND exemplifies all that is wrong with women in anime; Metaphies is still one of the exceptions as he is still both a good villain with an interesting character and motives (basically he's still best evil alien boyfriend); Maina and Miana are still inspired takes on the Mothra twins but still like any defining qualities outside their designs or love affair with Haruto; as for all the other supporting characers, they still feel too shallow in personality and generic in design to make an impact on me. Not mention, there's not a lot of moral complexity in the stoy either since, aside from themes like sacrificing one's humanity for revenge, the films' conflict sadly boils down to the "KAIJU AND ALIENS BAD! HUMANS GOOD!" schtick. And I'm still annoyed that they put so much work into the designs and backstories of the kaiju, yet they still feel so inactive. I sympathize with Toho's efforts to get back to Godzilla's darker roots, but I believe that in some ways they went too far. Or at the very least, picked the wrong place to do it. Like everyone else is saying, there are so many things they could do in the world of animation and the decided to tell the most ponderous, stiff-looking story they could. In some ways, it almost feels like a "careful what you wish for situation" where, after so many people clamoring for a darker and edgier and deeper Godzilla story, we're stuck with what feels like an increasingly joyless philosophy class. Lastly, I just want to say that as much as I admire Toho trying to broaden Godzilla's fanbase, especially with women, they could have done better. I honestly don't everything about what Japanese want to see in their entertainment, but I still believe the best way to draw them in is better representation, and sisters, you're not going to see a very flattering reflection in Yuko or the twins.

Anyways, that was it. I'm Titanoterror98, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

New trailer out for Planet Eater:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHOO4o5hiI
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

The philosophy class thing is actually a very good point. I think the kaiju fandom is too preoccupied with becoming a respected genre, ultimately falling into the same trap as the DC cinematic universe. I love deep philosophical themes in science fiction, and there's plenty offered in the anime trilogy, but there's no payoff. The desolation of earth means nothing to the audience. It might as well be set on a different planet entirely, and we don't see any major upside to fusing with nanometal.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You know, adding Godzilla animation to my DVD collection should be a no brainier day one purchase, but I'm so unsatisfied with this series that I probably will put off getting the DVDs till they are cheaper.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Living Corpse wrote:You know, adding Godzilla animation to my DVD collection should be a no brainier day one purchase, but I'm so unsatisfied with this series that I probably will put off getting the DVDs till they are cheaper.

Same. Don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a Godzilla story from Japan. Especially since I always wanted a Godzilla anime.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.