Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by BlankAccount »

Not hyped but I am fucking bored and a Godzilla fan so I gotta look into it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don’t think since Shin I’m gonna be hyped about any Godzilla movie. Hyped no, excited yes. I think hype these days makes things have too high standards to enjoy on their own.

My only hope is that the film has some good Godzilla action, some new ideas, and feels like a standalone film while setting up the sequels.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Maritonic wrote:Anyone else feeling the hype?
I wish :( I completely forgot this movie was coming out till someone brought it up just yesterday. It's back on my to-watch list, but definitely nowhere near as hyped for this as I was for Shin.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Seeing as tomorrow is the 17th, would we be able to watch it basically at midnight EST or is there a set time?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Seeing as tomorrow is the 17th, would we be able to watch it basically at midnight EST or is there a set time?
I hear it won't be available until midnight PST, but not sure.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

As someone who lives in NYC (EST) that sucks if it’s PAT. Then again, it’s not like I’m not gonna stay up anyways. Looks like it might be a great night to finish TNG and watch the new Godzilla film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

I am excited for it, but I'm not like, bouncing off the walls excited for it like I was with Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla. I think the reason why I was so hyped up the day before G14 and Shin is because, they were both the first Godzilla movie made in years period, and then the first Toho Godzilla film in years, and I was going to see them both in theaters. With this, it's an animated movie, from what I hear it's only like 80 minutes, and I'm going to be watching it on my small HDTV at home instead in a movie theater on a big screen. I think that's probably why I'm not quite as feeling as hyped for Monster Planet as I was for G14 and Shin.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'll probably catch this at my mom's house later this week, they have Netflix.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Looks like it’s 3am boys

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

It appears to be up now? Havent watched yet
Member of TK Since 2006

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Watched and gotta say I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Though there was stuff I found pretty poorly handled.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Just searched on Netflix for it and couldn't find it?

EDIT: Neeeevermind. You search for Godzilla and find jackall. You go to the anime section and there it is. Tonight shall be fun.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Woke up to change the youngest's dirty diaper at 12:30am-ish. Looked at Netflix . . . started anime.

Fell back to sleep moments later.
. . .

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

So the film is on Netflix rn?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

ernesth100 wrote:So the film is on Netflix rn?
Yup. Check under the Anime section. :)

Added in 1 hour 19 minutes 20 seconds:
Those that have watched it; is there a Japanese w/ English subtitles option available? Or is it only the dub? And if so, how is the dub?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The moment I get off work I'm on this
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wasn’t sure if I should post this in the SPOILERS thread, so I’m gonna put a slight spoiler free review, and then just delve right into a lot of it in a spoiler tag for those who have seen it:

The film is pretty good, but with the knowledge that it’s part of a trilogy. If this was a standalone, it would’ve been disappointing. While the film gets really satisfying in the last thirty minutes or so, prior to that is a lot of world building, and exposition, that make this feel like the first act of a full movie. As a result, I will like this film either more or less depending on the sequels. If the sequels are waaaay more action oriented with more monsters, that’s good and I’ll appreciate this film as a set up. If not, if there’s more exposition and stuff, I’ll actually not like this one.

Secondly, it’s definitely no Shin, or even G14. It’s not some monumental film that’ll redefine the franchise, but it’s stull fun to watch. Think of it as Godzilla vs Megaguirus or something. The film has a few really interesting moments, lore wise and visually, but we will see.

Clearly the film also takes some inspiration from shin, and it’s jnteresting to see us in a post Shin era now where popular ideas and designs originating are now incorporated.

I’ll also say, other than the main protagonist, the films characters are not interesting in the least, minus one mysterious person, anyways time for spoilers.

You have been warned:
Spoiler:
WHOA, the film went from eh to AWESOME IN THE LAST 10 MINS! What a great twist, that sorta redeemed the movie. I kinda don’t know how to really react, but I’ll say that up until that moment Godzilla was lukewarm. He looked like godzilla, did Godzilla things, but didn’t have that OOMPH. And boy did that second, the OG, have that OOMPH. For that reason I can actually forgive the first Godzilla, for being somewhat lackluster. I felt like with the first one it was sort of Godzilla boiled down, with the second one they nailed it down to the size perspective and roar. However, again this makes this film, feel like the first act in a normal movie. The first act, the movie, establishes the general setting and characters, and if you think about it, this is really just the early film action scene before shit heads south.

I have a preemptive feeling swapping out Godzilla’s like that will be controversial. I can see a lot of people complaining it makes the film pointless, but presumably the strategy used to kill the baby works on the bigger one. It also motivates the humans way more. This was a great way to make things really personal.

One of my major complaints, was actually how Godzilla is just there. He wasn’t treated grandiosely, and is just a big creature. But then the big reveal makes it much better, and Godzilla’s, the main ones, reveal is much cooler as a result, and even though it was hinted at I admit I did not see it coming.

While not as unique as Shin or that oh fuck moment, when Godzilla uses the back beams in Shin, I really did get hyped in the brief tail swipe beam. The shotgun beam was cool as well, and I like some of the new lore, as well as establishing the spines as the weak point. The first Godzilla looks a bit bland, but I kinda like how it sort of melts into the background, making it more similar to the monster planet concept. The second Godzilla definitely stands out and is better textured for emphasis.

Anyways, let’s get to the other stuff:
-Servum and a lot of the other monsters felt under ultilized. I understand that this is a problem with hype, but I was, expecting more action with the opening montage, especially since they’re basically still images. I get that the film was trying to solely be about Godzilla, but would it have hurt for a minor amount of fan service to just show Godzilla briefly actually killing Daghra or Kamacuras?

-Servum were underutilized. The film actually could have removed them. They serve a purpose, in continuing the idea that the planet is dangerous, and is now a Godzilla oriented ecosystem. They were also used to add some variance to the long climactic action scene, but would it have hurt, just like the other Kaiju, to show them more? They randomly show up, kill a few people, and then it looks like they’re just shot and killed. You have those Mecha suits, would it have been so bad to have a brief scene where Sakai jumps in and fights one hand to hand in mech suit? I wish they also played more of a role in the climax, again they sorta appear for a moment and fuck off. There’s that great moment where one sticks it’s head in the hanger and eats someone, we could’ve used more moments like that. I hope we see more of them In the future, especially because I could use a bit more explanations of what they are.

-Similar to the above, Godzilla’s firstborn appearance at the airport wasn’t sort of lame. Would it have been wrong to show a brief scene of older military engaging him, or even him destroying the city before the airport? The film felt really back heavy, some early Kaiju action would’ve improved this problem.

-Again on the assumption they’re developed more, I really dig the alien races. I like how it’s implied they appear to basically appear because they notice Godzilla and want to remove him before things can get out of control so that THEY, can take over the earth. I’m actually surprised they’re also doing two alien races, I don’t think they’ve done that before. In a way it makes the showa series make more sense. The aliens in the showa series appear when Godzilla shows up because they realize they have to take over before things get out of hand.

-Exif are cool. Religion, especially religious aliens have never been done before in the Godzilla cannon, so I like them. I also like they’re benevolent, for now. I could see them easily having an evil twist, but it’s kinda too mysterious.

-The idea that we could have another alien made, yet human piloted MG is awesome. Nice throwback to showa yet keeping in line with the more modern Mecha elements.

-Some of the plot elements were confusing upon first viewing. I didn’t get the whole thesis thing. Who made the thesis? The Exif? Presumably that’ll be the twist, maybe that the Exif made Godzilla, but it’s still weird how they just randomly get an idea to counter Godzilla.

-Hopefully Yuko gets development in sequels. As of now she’s easily the worst human element of the series. Just a bland female character for the sake of having one, and she really doesn’t so do much except to show Sakai’s plan is working.

-Really dug the idea of people running out of supplies in space, and all the desperation. It added way more to the actual stupidity of trying to reclaim the earth. I also really liked the whole renegade thing.

-Sakai might be a generic standard character, in terms of him being a revengeful renegade, burn boy do they nail him and his motivations. Everything he says isn’t filled with passion, and is completely beliavable. He said also willing to put himself at risk. He’s great.

-The idea of them using like 150 nukes to kill Godzilla is great. I like how they used so much it created a giant crater.

-When the film actually got rolling action wise, it was great, but reminded me heavily of Shin’s climax. I like the idea of people using hover bikes to lead Godzilla towards a big trap. The idea of small mech suits jumping into Godzilla in order to implant EMP blasts is cool too. Yet, despite all this, it seems really inspired by Shin’s climax which at the time was super unique. Basically annoying and barraging Godzilla into a trap. However, again relient on it being a series, I can admire it for being simple, so long as the sequels are more Kaiju oriented.

-As I just said, this works VERY WELL, as a set up for sequels. The sequels better have waaay more Kaiju action, and monster fights, be it in a mech or something else. If the sequels use this as a jumping block, great, if not, then this film will be worse in retrospect.

-As man the others have stated I’m assuming the girl at the end is tied into Mothra.

Edit: skimming through the film now, and I’m noticing a lot of really nice details I didn’t notice the first time. For instance, you can actually see Rodans skeleton in the film during the montage. Appears that Operation Hedora worked, and Rodan and Angurius got fucking murdered. Cool.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Today is the day and when i get home form school. I AM WATCHING THIS I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS GODZILLA MOVIE!
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Think of it as Godzilla vs Megaguirus or something.
My heart sank when I read this. I REALLY hope it's LEAGUES better than Megaguirus...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maritonic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Think of it as Godzilla vs Megaguirus or something.
My heart sank when I read this. I REALLY hope it's LEAGUES better than Megaguirus...
I should rephrase this, as someone who likes elements from that film but doesn’t love it. What I mean to say is that it’s good, but not some revolutionary film that’ll change the franchise like Shin. If you go into it with the mentality that it’s another film and a set up then you’ll really like it or even love it.

Also I’m skimming through the movie again, and I’m noticing tons of details which definitely go unanswered.

One thing I’m really curious about, is the fact that Netflix lists it really strangely. It’s not just,”EP1” but P1:EP1”. While this might be speculation, considering the film appears to be coproduced by Netflix, it opens the door that this might be not just a triology, but have many many many more films in it. For instance this film is P1:EP1, but maybe there will be P2: EP1+2+3.