Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Isn't Metphies voiced by the same VA who did Tentomon in Digimon Adventure?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’m also going to say I’ve been continually annoyed by the whole comparing Godzilla to superheroes.
I honestly don’t see the harm in doing so.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
I’m also going to say I’ve been continually annoyed by the whole comparing Godzilla to superhero things, because they’re apples and oranges, and actually I’m all for changing old things up periodically as long as they’re still recognizably themselves.
Too be fair he did become one in the 70s, going as far as teaming up with Zone Fighter and JJ.

Kink Kong
Ronin

Post by Kink Kong »

Out of the three post-Millennium Godzilla movies, this is easily the weakest. I did like the movie just because it was Godzilla. I’m the type of person who would rather watch the worst Godzilla movies on a Saturday afternoon rather than The Godfather. But compared to other Godzilla movies, I was very underwhelmed.

About 40-50% of this movie’s dialogue was some technobabble or military strategy jargon. It was a chore to get through. Felt like I was reading a boring hard sci-fi novel, not watching a movie. Shin Godzilla also did this, but in that film it was relatively easy to follow, interesting, and thematically important. There are right and wrong ways to do these things.

Almost all the characters were bland, except for the protagonist and one of the aliens. The only female character served absolutely no purpose. It felt like I was watching a Millennium-era Godzilla movie in terms of characterization.

Sorry, but I do not buy into the excuse that this movie’s shortcomings should be forgiven because it’s the first installment of a trilogy. To me, that’s lazy and there’s absolutely no reason why this movie couldn’t stand up on its own feet.

The Force Awakens, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Evangelion 1.0, and many others were intended to be the first part of a trilogy or series and were good standalone movies. “Oh we’ll make it better in the context of the next movies!” What a waste of the first animated Godzilla movie.

On a more positive note, Godzilla stole every scene he was in. His screentime was dreadfully short though. I usually dislike when people complain about Godzilla’s screentime, but this felt like a sci-fi space military anime with very little interesting scenes when Godzilla is not around. It barely qualifies as a Godzilla movie.

Again, I did like this movie in some regard because it was Godzilla, but I’d rank it near the bottom tier in terms of the rest of the movies.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kink Kong wrote:Out of the three post-Millennium Godzilla movies, this is easily the weakest. I did like the movie just because it was Godzilla. I’m the type of person who would rather watch the worst Godzilla movies on a Saturday afternoon rather than The Godfather. But compared to other Godzilla movies, I was very underwhelmed.
I agree it’s the weakest post Millenium film, but I mean did anyone really expect it to live up to Shin or LPG? Not saying you can’t tell a good story on a budget, but it’s clear these films are more akin to alternate takes or side stories, rather than big things the fandom and people should get hyped about.
Almost all the characters were bland, except for the protagonist and one of the aliens. The only female character served absolutely no purpose. It felt like I was watching a Millennium-era Godzilla movie in terms of characterization.

Agreed. Actually the first time I confused Prof Martin and the guy who sacrificed himself. Yuko is a waste of time, hopefully she’ll get more development, and I’m actually super interested in the aliens.
Sorry, but I do not buy into the excuse that this movie’s shortcomings should be forgiven because it’s the first installment of a trilogy. To me, that’s lazy and there’s absolutely no reason why this movie couldn’t stand up on its own feet.

The Force Awakens, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Evangelion 1.0, and many others were intended to be the first part of a trilogy or series and were good standalone movies. “Oh we’ll make it better in the context of the next movies!” What a waste of the first animated Godzilla movie.
The main difference with the first two, TFA and Fellowship of the King is that both are nearly twice as long as Monster Planet, have 100 times the budget, and were intended for a large scale theatrical release.

With Eva, well that’s a bit different as it’s really just the first few Eva episodes stitched together and remade. I don’t really think that counts, and actually when watching that I still looked at it from the perspective from the whole picture.

I agree, it’s bad as a standalone, due to Godzilla really only being significant in the long climax, but every scene prior to that has purpose in building the universe, and emphasizing why the earth needs to be reclaimed. All the sci-fi stuff people were bored by was actually really fascinating to me, and obviously that’s going to be decisive. It sets the groundwork for what is to come. The goal of the first one was to establish Godzilla and the planet as a threat, that while possible is infinitely difficult, and will require a lot of sacrifices. They also clearly did not want to move attention away from Godzilla or the Planet itself. For that reason, I can say the film is good, if parts 2+3 deliver more action and character development, as they’ve gotten the world building out of the way. From what we’ve seen, it appears that the three movies are really one long movie, which is fine.

Also, on Netflix it lists it as Part 1: Episode 1. If you evaluate most things just based on the first episode usually the pilot, or the first episode isn’t so great in comparison to what comes later.
On a more positive note, Godzilla stole every scene he was in. His screentime was dreadfully short though. I usually dislike when people complain about Godzilla’s screentime, but this felt like a sci-fi space military anime with very little interesting scenes when Godzilla is not around. It barely qualifies as a Godzilla movie.
It’s true Godzilla doesn’t have much screentime, but like other films he’s continually the focus. The entire film’s plot is about reclaiming the earth, and fighting Godzilla. All the plants are essentially Godzilla, the the Servum are also Godzilla. Once they are on earth all the scenes revolve around testing and figuring out a strategy to kill Godzilla. It’s not like there’s tons of subplots that remove from that driving force.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really wish the servum were used better in the film, they had a lot of potential and ended up being so underwhelming

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

LegendZilla wrote:I remember an earlier post I made regarding my complaints over Japan's sudden fixation for unconventional task on Godzilla as with both Shin and this movie. One of the responses I received was that such creative decisions were no different than any other sudden and/or drastic move Toho did over the franchises’s 60+ year history such as the character suddenly turning from evil to good back in the Showa era. And then I in-turn responded reasoned by asking why everything done in Japan was excusable compared to let’s say GINO, is because trying new formulas and adding new concepts to the franchise is necessary for its survival, whereas GINO tried to “re-invent Godzilla by subtracting elements that make the character who he is (i.e Nuclear breath and immunity to conventional weaponry).

Just how is adding something new, no matter how absurd or far fetched automatically justifiable in comparison to taking something away? By that logic was giving Batman a Bat-credit card more justifiable than hypothetically taking away his cowl or Batmobile?
and I have your post as a signature.
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzillian wrote:I really wish the servum were used better in the film, they had a lot of potential and ended up being so underwhelming
I agree, that scene where they first appeared should’ve been a bit longer. Maybe they’ll appear in sequels but who knows.

One thing is that they’re a good way to keep Godzilla a threat without focusing on other things.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I rewatched it and checked the times for something to prove a theory. And I was right. This is nothing more than Episodes 1-4 of a full 12 episode anime series stitched to be one film. Every 22 minutes is a drastic scene change just like it was the start of a new episode. To look at this and think of it as a film will leave you disappointed but looking at it for what it is, stitched together anime episodes, it is far more enjoyable.

I can't wait until May for part 2

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

B34sT wrote:I rewatched it and checked the times for something to prove a theory. And I was right. This is nothing more than Episodes 1-4 of a full 12 episode anime series stitched to be one film. Every 22 minutes is a drastic scene change just like it was the start of a new episode. To look at this and think of it as a film will leave you disappointed but looking at it for what it is, stitched together anime episodes, it is far more enjoyable.

Yeah, it felt way more like an OVA than a traditional Godzilla flick. But part of me is glad it was released the way it was.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

B34sT wrote:I rewatched it and checked the times for something to prove a theory. And I was right. This is nothing more than Episodes 1-4 of a full 12 episode anime series stitched to be one film. Every 22 minutes is a drastic scene change just like it was the start of a new episode. To look at this and think of it as a film will leave you disappointed but looking at it for what it is, stitched together anime episodes, it is far more enjoyable.

I said the same thing a while back, so it’s good seeing someone come up with this independently and kinda confirm it.

For those curious:
EP 1:
Builds the world, establishes Haruo, and the alien races. The conflict is accepting the situation and convincing the others to return to earth. The episode actually ends with the major development of them getting to earth. It would end right when they’re outside the earths atmosphere and everyone looks out.

Haruo literally says,”We’re home, but he took it from us” while looking down from space. That would be the perfect end of an episode and it occurs right around 22.

Ep 2: Now that they’re back to the earth, it’s about recon and landing. It’s apparent Godzilla is still there, and much debate is had over what should be done. It also properly establishes Godzilla lore wise and noting they need to kill it. It also introduces the strategy to kill Godzilla and Exif. Then they go on the planet, and establish its hostile.

The end point is a brief moment of optimism. At 42-43 mins Haruo ends the episode with,”We’ll take it back no matter what, with our own hands”. Another perfect place to end the episode, and that’s 21 mins. Keep in mind there’s no traditional anime opening or even ending, so roughly that would equate to enough time with those things for a standard 21-23 min anime episode.

Ep3: Focuses on the Servum and the “climax” begins. The opening stinger is the Servum attack and also establishes the idea of Godzilla reproducing and having offshoots. The strategy to kill Godzilla is begun, and the episodes “climax” is the initial confrontation with Godzilla halfway through the episode. The goal of the episode is to figure out Godzilla’s shield, and enough they succeed and begin the assault.

The episode ends, with Haruo’s speech at 1:01/2 and can and then there’s a hard cut to the valley.

Won’t spoil stuff but Ep4 follows the same format.

This actually works way better if you look at them as episodes and not a movie.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

That makes me much more comfortable for the sequel. If anything I'll give his movie and A+ for action scenes.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

The way Netflix presents the film supports the 'stitched together' theory.

God, I loved this.
. . .

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Is there any idea how good the film is doing on Netflix? I don't think they really release statistics though.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Watched it last night, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I legitimately liked it more than Shin, even as a standalone experience. Granted, as many of you probably know I don't hold Shin in particularly high regard, but still. Unfortunately the twist at the end was spoiled for me almost immediately after the movie came out in theaters back in November, but even then it was a powerful scene.

I watched the subbed version, and I'll probably watch the dub at some point in the next couple days so I can better take in the visuals and whatnot since I won't be splitting my focus with reading.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Inferno Rodan wrote:I watched the subbed version, and I'll probably watch the dub at some point in the next couple days so I can better take in the visuals and whatnot since I won't be splitting my focus with reading.
Dub was pretty great. I'd actually recommend watching it dubbed first so not to worry about losing focus on the visuals!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah the actors are good and I’ve noticed it’s not distracting at all and feels really natural. ESP cause they’re animated.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I can't fathom how people are enjoying this more than Shin. This was easily bottom 5 material for me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Maritonic wrote:I can't fathom how people are enjoying this more than Shin. This was easily bottom 5 material for me.
How dare people have different opinions then me!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzillian wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I can't fathom how people are enjoying this more than Shin. This was easily bottom 5 material for me.
How dare people have different opinions then me!
...? I didn't say their opinions were wrong? Simply said I can't see what they are seeing in this film. Sheesh.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.