GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of the animated movie, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle and a unnamed sequel.
atomiccrusader
Yojimbo

GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby atomiccrusader » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:08 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-08-03/godzilla-anime.com-domain-name-registered-under-toho/.104979

Article says it all. Toho registered a domain name called "godzilla-anime.com" on August 2.

No clue if this will be a series or a movie, but I guess we're getting a Godzilla anime.

EDIT: Confirmed. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-18/2017-godzilla-anime-film-penned-by-gen-urobuchi-animated-by-polygon-pictures/.105542

Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare and other Detective Conan movies, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Kenshirô, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Toki) and Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia) are directing the film at POLYGON PICTURES. Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass) of Nitroplus is credted with the story concept and screenplay.

The film will open next year. TOHO Ad Co., Ltd registered the godzilla-anime.com domain earlier this month.
Last edited by atomiccrusader on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
And Then A Skeleton Popped Out! | Check out my Tumblr: http://atomic-crusader.tumblr.com

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Re: GODZILLA ANIME ON THE HORIZON?

Postby Scarlet Spider » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 am

Which design you guys thinking they'll use? I know Heisei is very popular in Japan.

JAGzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am

I'd be down for a more melee-capable anime Biogoji, if that happens.

Anyway, this is interesting news. I won't hold my breath for anything to happen yet, given how many recent kaiju projects have been dragged into the bowels of Development Hell, but we can hope.
"When you're serious about having fun, it's not much fun at all!" -Calvin

PRIMEVAL
Futurian

Postby PRIMEVAL » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:29 am

I'd be for a Godzilla anime, as long as there's no fan service or pedophilia undertones which seems to be rampant in most animes these days.

Breakdown
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Breakdown » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:36 am

I think it's either going to be a totally new continuity OR it's going to be canon with Shin Godzilla.
Boo-Hoo, I'm leaking lubricant!

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:42 am

One Word: AAAWWWWWEEEEESSSSSOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!

Finally a new Animated Godzilla feature! the first one since Godzilla The Series ended 16 years ago.

And of course the obvious...I wonder what kinda design we might see? I do really hope it's not a another Heisei design I really do.
Godzilla

ShodaiGoji
Yojimbo

Postby ShodaiGoji » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 am

I am so excited! It would make sense to try to tie into the Shin Gojira canon (I know little of the plot so I dont know if that is even possible), but knowing TOHO's love (or love of its financial success) for the Heisei era, I imagine we'll see something closer to his Heisei design.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:04 am

I'm expecting either a semi-modified Heisei design or Shin Godzilla. Still, I hope they're flexible with the designs of other monsters and don't stick to one particular era. Pretty exciting!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

Rodan
Futurian

Postby Rodan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

So they're finally making anime real?

If this pans out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something short set within the Shin Godzilla universe.

Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.

Birdman
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Birdman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 am

Rodan wrote:Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.

You'll like Tsubasaya's new show, then.
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"

https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

GalacticPetey
Futurian

Postby GalacticPetey » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:47 am

I can see this going two ways.

1. A more serious series set in the universe of Shin Gojira

2. A balls to wall, Rulers of Earth style action show full of fan service in the form of classic monsters and character archetypes
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Rodan
Futurian

Postby Rodan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:51 am

Birdman wrote:
Rodan wrote:Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.

You'll like Tsubasaya's new show, then.

The one with Ultra Monsters being portrayed by fetishized cartoon girls?

You got me. Pretty much the greatest artistic idea of the century.

GalacticPetey wrote:2. A balls to wall, Rulers of Earth style action show full of fan service in the form of classic monsters and character archetypes

Unless it's a quirky-ass Showa-era approach with a heightened '60s/'70s style, I really don't want this.

Also, people seem to be assuming this would be a TV series. It's just as likely (more likely?) to be an OVA, if anything.

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:56 am

GalacticPetey wrote:2. A balls to wall, Rulers of Earth style action show full of fan service in the form of classic monsters and character archetypes

Honestly, that's all I want.

GalacticPetey
Futurian

Postby GalacticPetey » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:56 am

Rodan wrote:

Unless it's a quirky-ass Showa-era approach with a heightened '60s/'70s style, I really don't want this.

Also, people seem to be assuming this would be a TV series. It's just as likely (more likely?) to be an OVA, if anything.

I'd be down if it was a high energy, Showa styled show, but I can already imagine it being about "anti-hero Heisei Godzilla" with a bunch of military characters.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 am

Rodan wrote:So they're finally making anime real?

If this pans out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something short set within the Shin Godzilla universe.

Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.

It is official and it is real.
Godzilla

GodzillaFan1990's
Kwaidan

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 am

Please! Please let this be true! A Godzilla anime has been long overdue! :D

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Just as long as it doesn't take 5 episodes for Godzilla to charge his atomic breath...

And no dumb pop songs as an opening theme, please, for the love of god.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Awesome! Can't wait for an official announcement. Wonder if it's gonna be a movie or series'
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Cookson wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for an official announcement. Wonder if it's gonna be a movie or series'

Oh, I hadn't even considered something other than a series! Yeah, this could very easily be a movie or an OVA/ONA. I wonder what this is?

...Could it be an actual Godzilla x Evangelion anime??! :shock:

M.U.T.O.
EDF Soldier

Postby M.U.T.O. » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Well HOLY poop!

Toho has an animation studio, doesn't it? Or at least, it distributes anime?
Artist. Writer. Creator.

KaijuX wrote:Bagan is infused with Bagan and Ghidorah Cells

Derzerb wrote:
M.U.T.O. wrote:At this point, I have to ask. Have we devolved into absolute unbridled psychological diarrhea?

I blame Shinji Ikari for this.

Tokumei wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Return to “GODZILLA Anime Trilogy (2017-Current)”