Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by Chrispy_G »

This sounds like it could be great, and certainly something we haven't seen before with Godzilla...so that is also a plus.

I just am holding out hope that they don't get terribly specific with when Godzilla first appeared, etc etc....because I was having fun with the notion of the "film set in the future that could theoretically play as a distant sequel to any Godzilla film of your choosing" concept.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Chrispy_G wrote:I just am holding out hope that they don't get terribly specific with when Godzilla first appeared, etc etc....because I was having fun with the notion of the "film set in the future that could theoretically play as a distant sequel to any Godzilla film of your choosing" concept.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the synopsis already indicates that the summer of 1999 is when the kaiju first began appearing.

Rules out... just about the entire franchise.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

mattman559 wrote:i know they arent really related, but this kinda makes me think that king ghidorah's origin in the legendary films wont have anything to do with space. well, more like bolsters that thought cuz i didnt think they were going that route anyway
If KG WASN'T from space in the Legendary universe, how would you feel about it?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Sounds like a feature-film adaptation of one of IDW's Godzilla mini-series.

While nothing in the description so far has me particularly stoked for this individual project, I do like that Toho is willing to let each entry go in such radically different directions. It's what they should have been doing fifteen years ago. Godzilla is a malleable concept who should continuously be put in the hands of directors and writers with distinct visions.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Dark experimental one offs, Toho I like where you going with these movies. I'm f*cking with this heavy, Japan's Godzilla movies in general are looking a lot more interesting than the generic (but welcome and traditional) kaiju movies from Legendary.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Chris55 wrote:
mattman559 wrote:i know they arent really related, but this kinda makes me think that king ghidorah's origin in the legendary films wont have anything to do with space. well, more like bolsters that thought cuz i didnt think they were going that route anyway
If KG WASN'T from space in the Legendary universe, how would you feel about it?
Mad and greatly annoyed but I'd probably get over it if the movie is good.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

NSZ wrote:The synopsis already indicates that the summer of 1999 is when the kaiju first began appearing.
Summer '99, eh? Reminds me of the opening prologues to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Legendary's Godzilla.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

Kaiju confirmed for this film so far:
Kamacuras
Dogora
Rodan
Anguirus
Daghara
Orga
Godzilla

Taken from a guy on Facebook:
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So alien races have allied with humanity? Interesting. And guys, it appears Toho doesnt consider the ROM trilogy a different franchise since Dagahra is in this!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

It's going to be nice to see Orga appear again.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

These Kaiju are canon within this Godzilla story, but it doesn't 100% mean they'll be in the movie itself.

Remember, the films main plot takes place 20,000 years after these events.... Well 20 years to our character.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Cookson wrote:These Kaiju are canon within this Godzilla story, but it doesn't 100% mean they'll be in the movie itself.

Remember, the films main plot takes place 20,000 years after these events.... Well 20 years to our character.
And supposedly Godzilla killed 3 of them once he appeared.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Cookson wrote:These Kaiju are canon within this Godzilla story, but it doesn't 100% mean they'll be in the movie itself.

And supposedly Godzilla killed 3 of them once he appeared.
Or he killed three unnamed kaiju.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

Well, then I guess we'll probably see them in some flashbacks.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The possibility of seeing Orga again, even if it's a split-second cameo in a flashback, has me more excited for this film than ever.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Very, very interesting.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I know I said in the worries thread that I was worried about them just using classic kaiju again, but these ones, save for Rodan, don't get used enough. So this has me really excited. I hope they make an actual appearance and aren't just mentioned or something.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Wow...this all sounds very exciting. I can live with my "I want to see this as a sequel to X movie!" dreams dashed. Another clean, 100% reboot.

I can live with that. Before, any hiatus for the franchise was just used to return to the roots of the original film...but with the 2004-2014 gap, it seems like they truly let the franchise 'die' and be over....all of the original films, and movies that tied to the original classic....that run is over, and all 3 entries since are each complete restarts.

They truly hit the 'reset' button and are starting over completely. Which I'm okay with. I think it only further creates a larger macro-era that past eras fit into. There is the first 50 years, the original era, the suitmation era. It was all built off of that original film. Now we have just entered a second era of Hollywood franchise prominence and a return to huge cultural relevancy and success in Japan. I hope that the anime film can keep the legacy going.

I also hope that the series of reboots can end here. I think Shin Godzilla could become a great trilogy or series, that this anime film could mark a great beginning of another trilogy/series. Take a cue from the MonsterVerse and build on the story of these films, don't get into a reboot frenzy.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Perhaps, after the kaiju attacks, humankind abandoned the Earth, decided to LEAVE before we were wiped out? And based on the concept art, humans have now returned? To see if we can re-colonize the Earth?

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

That timeline sounds so cool.
So, 3 other kaiju are dead by the time humans left, Who should have been?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/