Emergence: Kaiju Invasion HUB

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Emergence: Kaiju Invasion HUB

Post by KaijuCanuck »

SuperPawnageGigan wrote:Can i join i got my kaiju info thought i will post it later today ok
Hi SuperPawnageGigant. The game is always open for anyone to join, so you can. Since it is a late stage in the game run-up (we are launching today or tomorrow) I just really want to make absolutely sure you are up to speed on everything and know how this game will be played.

This game is going to be very story-based. There will definitely be combat, but there will also be lots of human characters speaking with each other, lots of plot development and downtime between fights where the kaiju personalities come through. We're also going to try to be as realistic as is practical in terms of kaiju travel, so another kaiju can't just randomly show up out of the blue. This not a game for excessive rushing of anything. Keep in mind the larger context of the story when you make decisions about where your characters go and who they are able to make contact with. The object is not to 'win', but to help your fellow players tell the best story. I encourage players to communicate with each other either in the hub topic or through pms to make sure everything that happens is satisfying to everyone.

Please read the first post in this topic, which outlines the story and the rules, as well as every character profile posted so far. I know that it is a lot of reading material at this point, but it is very important for a game like this to work that we are all on the same page. This is especially true for this game in particular; there are some very specific parameters within which you can make your character, and some very specific rules as well. Fair warning, I reserve the right to warn, and if necessary kick out, players who are unable to cooperate with the rules or the way the game is played. If you feel that this is a game you will have fun playing, and once you feel you have a handle on the game mechanics and understand the story, you are welcome to post a character. I really encourage you to ask if you have any questions or trouble about anything.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Oh boy.
Godzilla165 wrote:Mmmmmmm.
Let's give the boy a chance, wouldn't we, ourselves, hate to be let out?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Oh boy.
Godzilla165 wrote:Mmmmmmm.
Let's give the boy a chance, wouldn't we, ourselves, hate to be let out?
The more the merrier, I say!

Added in 12 minutes 29 seconds:
EDIT: KaijuCanuck, what is the status of kaiju communication in this universe? I know the question of intelligence/sentience is somewhat up in the air and probably should remain vague... but is this a showa-esque universe where kaiju can 'talk' or otherwise understand each-other's intentions? More of a heisei universe wherein they can only size each other up based on actions and assumptions, etc.? Or something else entirely?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ That's something I've been meaning to ask about, myself. I feel like we might've gone a bit overboard with 'humanizing' our kaiju communication in Uprising, with frequent and long conversations on complex topics, joking and reminiscing about the past, and that kind of thing. I don't know that all of our kaiju should be on the same level mentally, either.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Good question guys. I also see the kaiju being at different mental levels, which has consequences for communication. So there's no hard and fast rule. It will depend on player design of their own kaiju - Fennikusu, for example is about as intelligent of a human. I don't think he would have a 'language' per say, but he would probably be able to communicate to other kaiju who are on his level of intelligence, in a manner that is more direct and showa-esque. It could be represented in-game as dialogue. On the other hand, Tyrosus is a smart animal. I would say he's around the level of an elephant that has predatory instincts. He would not be capable of understanding communication to the same sophistication that Fennikusu does. He also (and this is more specific to him, ie: part of my design) has a very hard time understand intentions, tending to overreact and attack everything. He is capable of learning and may have an easier time with kaiju he has already met several times (like Fennikusu), but even then still only on the level that his intelligence allows.

So, depict your kaiju's communication ability the way you intend them to be depicted, but don't necessarily expect the same thing back.

On a different note, I got sent home early! I am still technically on call, but I will work to get the game up and going ASAP.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^Agreed. I mean, these are Kaiju right? Beasts considered gods, that possess extraordinary abilities, and are in completely different leagues than normal animals? As long as they aren't quite literally talking, then any other communication should be fine, imo.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Quick question, can the kaiju be, shall I say, sentient?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Added in 50 seconds:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:Quick question, can the kaiju be, shall I say, sentient?
They can! There are already a few I would say could be considered sentient.

Added in 2 hours 8 minutes 46 seconds:
Some final characters I forgot to post. I'm trying to avoid character overload on myself, so these guys won't be featured as often. I just need them for some plot points.

Name: Dracochelys AKA: the Dragon Turtle (Scientific Classification: Gigantochelys Draco)
Spoiler:
Height: 300 feet when standing on land.

Physical description: Dracochelys mostly resembles a gigantic sea turtle, with a few differences, most noticeably the crest of horns pointing upwards on the back of her head. The three horns, two longer on either side and a shorter one between them, give her a dragon-like appearance. This is helped by the fact that she has the head of a snapping turtle, giving her a meaner face, by the fact that her nostrils are constantly issuing steam (a result of an internal furnace that keeps her consistently hot), and by the fact that her shell has a rough and spiky texture. Unlike real sea turtles, Dracochelys has plates covering her neck an head, ending in a small horn on her nose.

The other most noticeable features are her posture and her hands - when on land, Dracocheyls stands mainly upright, leaning forward on the ends of her giant flippers for use as front legs. On closer glance still, the flippers are not regular sea turtle flippers - they are actually long, scimitar-shaped blades. Dracochelys' back, limbs and upper jaw are black with tan linings, and her underside and lower jaw are tan.

Emergence:
TBA

Personality: Despite her fearsome appearance, Dracochelys is primarily a vegetarian, eating through forests of kelp, or even venturing on land to consume trees. Occasionally she will hunt small sea creatures, such as sharks or dolphins or large schools of fish, for extra sustenance, particularly when incubating eggs. She is generally a gentle creature who ignores all life she does not deem a threat. However, she has a strong maternal instinct and when pregnant or defending her young, her personality becomes much more cautious. In a fight she is a fierce and brutal combatant. Alone she is tough enough, but will retreat if it means saving her life - pregnant or close to her eggs, it doesn't matter who she is fighting, she will lay down her life.

This is not the first, original Dracochelys from the previous awakening. Though her parents are long dead, this particular one was born sometime in the awakening's last few centuries. Typically a brood will consist of only one or two eggs, and sometimes kaiju predators will kill the youngsters. The eggs take time to develop, and risk being smelled out before they hatch. Ecologically speaking, this suits the species as whole fine, as they grow quickly but otherwise live an extremely slow existence and, like many kaiju, have no discernible lifespan. Still, the reality of reproduction means that there may yet be more Dracochelyses out there, still sleeping.

Powers/Abilities:

Walking Hot Water Tap - Within Dracocheyls is a biological furnace she uses to regulate her internal temperature, keeping her hot and avoiding most pitfalls of cold-blooded animals. As a weapon, Dracoheyls can spew streams of water from her mouth, and a secondary function of the furnace is to moderate the temperature of the attack. For more direct damage, Dracochelys can ensure the water is scalding hot. This is not a big deal for some kaiju, but the pressure force of the stream is also enough to deal concussive damage. For longer exposure, Dracocheyls can emit vaporized water steam to engulf her opponent. She can also use this underwater, increasing the temperature of the water around to boil her enemy alive.

Sword-Juggler - like Tyrosus, Dracocheyls' sword-fins are sharp enough to slice through any known metal. As an added bonus, due to Dracocheyls' extreme heaviness and strength in her front limbs, to be hit by the face of the blades is tantamount to being concussively clubbed.

Protective Shell - Dracocheyls' carapace is very strong. To puncture it outright is near impossible.

Water-flyer - True to her namesake, Dracocheyls seems to fly in water. She is extremely fast, manoeuvrable, and can swiftly slash enemies with the ends of her blade-flippers without slowing herself.

Crushing Bite Unsurprising for her snapper-turtle head, Dracocheyls' bite is a devastating, bone-crunching attack. Once latched on, it is difficult to shaker her off against her will.

Weaknesses:

Slow on Land - On land, Dracocheyls is extremely slow. She makes up for it with her durability and hefty, forceful attacks, but nonetheless is unable to outrun, or outmanoeuvre, almost every other kaiju on land.

Cracks in the Armour - Though her armour is very tough, it has some very specific weak points where the plates meet that a savvy enemy could make use of - in the direct centre of her chest, over her right shoulder, the back of her neck where it meets the shell, and close to her back left leg. Pulling from inside, it is much easier to get leverage to rip off the rest of the shell as well.

Cold - the primary reason for Dracocheyls' internal heater is that she requires a constant hot temperature to survive. The heater overcomes the limitations of a cold-blooded animal, except that in extreme cold, for example in the arctic or in very cold winters, it will be gradually overcome and no longer able to self-regulate. Depending on the severity, this will weaken her and perhaps even kill her.

Ground-birth
- like all sea turtles, Dracocheyls must give birth on land, where she is arguably more vulnerable. The size of her offspring, about the size of elephants when they hatch, means she must venture much further inland in order to bury them, and also means the offspring have further to travel when hatched to reach the safety of the sea.
Name: Lieutenant-General Gregory Lambert
Spoiler:

Physical Description: Lieutenant-General Lambert stands about 5'8, with a smaller, more wiry build than he used to possess, having graduated to upper command and away from the field. He is a man about whom always communicates a sense of extreme tension and stress; his hands often seen crossed tightly behind his back, his jaw is always clenched and he has a bad habit of grinding his teeth. His skin is generally quite tight, giving his head the appearance of a skull. This is more the sense others get - Lambert can be easily irritated, but is usually too far ahead of things to actually be stressed. His right eye is missing and replaced with a milky-white glass one, and his left cheek is horribly scarred from being hit once with superheated shrapnel. The same incident left him permanently bald, his scalp covered in burns. Altogether, the wounds give him a fearsome, ghoulish appearance.

Nationality: Canadian

Faction: Canadian Army

Role: Commander of Canadian Army

Backstory: Gregory Lambert grew up very poor on the streets of Winnipeg, Manitoba, abandoned at the age of 10 by parents who did not want him. A rebellious delinquent, he bounced around foster homes and eventually ended up homeless. After spending time in juvenile detention for a petty theft, he enlisted in the army, where he finally found his calling. Lambert was an excellent soldier who maintained his calm under fire, and possessed a keen ability to size up a situation and strategize accordingly. While serving on a peacekeeping mission in Africa, the recently promoted Sergeant Lambert was the only survivor of a rocket attack that hit his armoured carrier, losing an eye and leaving his face and scalp permanently scarred. Nonetheless Lambert was used to hardship and was used to being disliked on sight, and he persevered. Today he is the highest-ranking officer within the Canadian Army, a post he cares deeply for, as he does for the institution of the military itself. Lambert credits the army with saving his life, and for giving him a purpose. Still, he is not a war-hawk or militarist, merely a believer in his solid duty to defend the nation, the constitution, and its values.

Lambert is practically minded and possesses brilliant strategic intuition. He has deep love for his troops, though he would never show it through his gruff demeanour that is always laser-focused on the task at hand. Although he gladly works with people he deems competent, and he is a good judge of character and talent, Lambert has been known to ruffle feathers with blunt dialogue and a deadpan, acerbic wit.
Name: General Alexander Klein
Spoiler:

Physical Description: Klein is a hefty man, standing 6'3 and once built like a bodybuilder (now with some middle age fat over a still powerful body). He sports bleach blonde hair with a clean, military cut, and his face is surprisingly youthful and jubilant; when he frowns, however, age lines on Klein's face give him an exaggerated expression of profound sadness.

Nationality: Canadian

Faction: Canadian Armed Forces

Role: Chief of the Defence Staff (overall commander of Canadian military)

Backstory: Klein grew up in Toronto, Ontario. He came from a nice middle-class family, with a younger sister and parents who loved him. He was a boy scout, a straight A-student, a star high school hockey player, and a volunteer at many charities. Wanting to serve his country, at 18 Klein attended the Royal Military College. He graduated as an officer, and rose quickly through the ranks. At one point he was Gregory Lambert's CO, and the two bonded over their shared bravery and dedication to their duty. In 2009 Klein joined Joint Task Force 2, an elite special forces unit - his activities for the next ten years remain classified, but in 2019 Klein emerged as a Major-General in charge of all of Canada's special forces. In 2021, a few months before the emergence, Klein was named overall commander of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Anyone who knew Klein before his time in JTF2 agree that something has changed. Before, Klein led a simple life; he loved his family, friends, and his job. Now, much older and following a decade doing classified work, Klein's light-hearted persona persists, but seems to hide a deeper, hidden and perhaps darker mission.
Name: Dr. Eiji Sato
Spoiler:

Physical Description: Dr. Eiji Sato stands about 5'6. He is somewhat rotund, has aged grey hair, and meets the very definition of the 'absent-minded professor'. His hair and clothes are typically dishevelled beneath his lab-coat, and he has an off-putting habit of getting his food everywhere when he eats. Sato sports thick-rimmed black glasses, and his face seems to fluctuate constantly between differing levels of facial hair (Sato barely sleeps, and often seems to shave only partially) He is extremely socially awkward, but doesn't seem to really notice. One colleague described him; "He's crazy. Harmless, but crazy". Nevertheless Sato is a genius, and Japan's foremost mind in robotics.

Nationality: Japanese

Faction: Tokyo Institute of Technology

Role: Professor of Robotics

Backstory: For the past ten years, Sato has been involved in a secret military project with the Japanese government. Not much is known about the project, except that it was developed in mind to 'catch' incoming missile launches straight out of the sky (this strange choice of words has never been explained) and that, so far, it has not quite worked. Sources say a long-term power source suitable for the device has not yet been found, and the prototypes currently rely on massive battery packs with power for only seven minutes at a time.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Aw, yeah, here we go! Nice opening post, Canuck, does a good job of establishing both the scale of the crisis and how it impacts people on a personal level. I need to leave for work in a few minutes ( :cry: ), so I'll see about getting my first post up when I get back tonight.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Well done, mate :). That was a very good opening post.

#BotM

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Just about to check out the opening post- but there's one person I realized I ought to introduce first. (She's been around a while, but I decided not to keep her a secret after all).

Naleli
Spoiler:
Name: Naleli Karabo

Physical Description: A little short for her age, with hair in bristly cornrows and large brown eyes, Naleli has the awkward lankiness of a child that was undernourished for the first few years of her life. Strong legs from the lengthy walks for water make her a fast runner, and her shy smile- little-seen by strangers- can melt even the hardest heart in her home village.

Nationality: Basotho

Faction: None

Role: Superhero/Ace pilot (self-appointed)

Backstory:
Naleli comes from a poor family is Lesotho, the youngest of four children. Her oldest brother has a family of his own, her older sister works from home to help support the family, and she and her older brother are in a World Vision school. Naleli has always been a bit rebellious and headstrong; she sees herself as transcending the simplicity of the lifestyle in which she finds herself. She sees the planes and helicopters which bring in supplies to the World Vision complex, and dreams of being a pilot- traveling the world, and maybe shooting down evildoers. But be it combat or cargo pilot, she wants to fly.

The darkness in the world- the urgent whispers stifled when a child enters the room, the way it makes the adults tremble- frightens her, and word of the destruction in Johannesburg makes her angry. In her simple child’s world, it’s obvious that someone needs to do something.

Out to fetch water for her family, Naleli was present at the cave-in, and fell into the pit with the bones… which filled her with a profound sense of sadness. She ran her hands along the remains of the magnificent creature and wept that it would never fly again, just as sometimes it seemed she would not.

After a time, her thoughts turned to her own plight, and she looked to get out of the pit, the mud itself rose to help her, forming steps; after she reached the surface, it began to follow her. When it saw her distress at learning of Johannesburg, it returned to itself and mustered its physical form- then, when its strength was gathered and Naleli was next out for water, scooped her up and flew off.

While frightened at first, Naleli is very excited for this adventure now that she understands she ‘controls’ Kavaru. She sees him as a superhero, and herself as the pilot she’d always dreamed of being, out to save the world from those unknown, dark things that make the grownups tremble. Homesickness hasn’t set in… yet. For the time being, she’s still caught up in the thrill of a giant that knows no rules or boundaries, that can follow her will, provide food and shelter for her when she demands it, and will take her on an adventure to see the world and right its wrongs…

While she may be a little cautious about a truly overpowering threat, at the moment, she sees ‘her giant’ as essentially invincible, and won’t spare a thought for his mortality or her own when seeking to destroy the forces of evil. (She’s annoyed, but has come to accept, that he won’t carry her into battle).

Naleli speaks mainly Sotho, and a little broken English; right now, she relies on landing near a town, going in on foot, finding a public place playing the news, and guessing from the images and any helpfully-flashed-up maps as to where trouble is brewing. She is not concerned about food or water (Kavarus can find and bring it to her as she needs) or shelter (she sleeps on or in Kavaru). She is wary and distrustful of strangers.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

*Cracks Fingers* OK here is what i got
Name: Dirannosaurs AKA Ancient Tyrannosaurs

Height: 298 feet tall

Physical Appearance: He has the body and head of a Tyrannosaurs and has Triceratops horns on his head. Has 3 Rows of Dorsal plates Running down his back and has sharp Claws and his gills on his neck.
Also He has a Sharp Spike at the end of his tail

Emergence: Was Frozen Solid in the ice of Antarctica. Until He Broke free when researchers studied him and awaken him from his long slumber and he broke free from his icy prison and killed the researchers and headed to Hawaii.

Personality: Dirannosaurs personality is somewhat mixed he is neutral he can be a hero or a villain he can defend the earth or destruction of humanity. His diet consists of Fish,Sharks, Whales, and other creatures.

Strengths
Atomic Breath: Dirannosaurs adapts to his nuclear energy and fires at Orange beam from his mouth and it is powerful as a nuke explosion

Sharp Claws: The sharp claws on his hand can make a somewhat semi big cut drawing blood from them.
Triceratops horns: The horns are for use to ram his enemy or Likely to impale them

Tail Smack: Dirannosaurs can use his tail to hit his enemies.

Tail Spike: Dirannosaurs has a Spike at the end of his tail which he can use to stab his opponents and flinging them.

Weaknesses
Flying opponents: Diranosaurs is at the disadvantage when he fights flying opponents because they have the higher ground

Overpowered Kaiju: Dirannosaurs is not that defensive when comes to fighting Overpowerd kaiju

Well i hope you like it and i did my best to describe it as best as possible.
Last edited by SuperPawnageGigan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So, I took a stab at following up and breaking the ice. I didn't want to speak for Archie so I only wrote the dialogue addressed to him and then left it off; then added another scene of my own.

Is this correct? Is this how we should be doing this? :)

Maranatha!

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Did all the kaiju emerge at once?
Last edited by RamshackleRanger on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

I fixed it
8-BIT MADNESS

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Did all the kaiju emerge at once?
I got the impression that while not simultaneous- the Kroaken was first, for instance- this has all happened within a fairly short period of time?

I guess all we know is that this is two days after The Kroaken appeared (as per the OP, retconned by the lore-addition of K being first), so maybe kaiju are still emerging? But it seems like the majority have emerged within a fairly short time; at least, most of mine came two days ago (necessary for Mike Robbins' backstory to have happened, too, I think), as well as a few like Fennikusu and Grootslang to have done things and since disappeared, or for an ongoing search to have been happening for the Colony Queen or the Gagon problem to have been recognized and 'addressed.'

So, extrapolating, I'd say many were within the first few hours two days ago, but that doesn't seem to have precluded other latercomers from still waking up?

Maranatha!

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Zarm wrote:
I got the impression that while not simultaneous- the Kroaken was first, for instance- this has all happened within a fairly short period of time?

I guess all we know is that this is two days after The Kroaken appeared (as per the OP, retconned by the lore-addition of K being first), so maybe kaiju are still emerging? But it seems like the majority have emerged within a fairly short time; at least, most of mine came two days ago (necessary for Mike Robbins' backstory to have happened, too, I think), as well as a few like Fennikusu and Grootslang to have done things and since disappeared, or for an ongoing search to have been happening for the Colony Queen or the Gagon problem to have been recognized and 'addressed.'

So, extrapolating, I'd say many were within the first few hours two days ago, but that doesn't seem to have precluded other latercomers from still waking up?
good to know.

I just needed a timeframe, because the grootslang disappeared into the ground two days after it's emergence.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:

Bingo!

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Did you guys read my Kaiju
8-BIT MADNESS

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:So, I took a stab at following up and breaking the ice. I didn't want to speak for Archie so I only wrote the dialogue addressed to him and then left it off; then added another scene of my own.

Is this correct? Is this how we should be doing this? :)
Yep that's perfect. My experience in this style of game is that eventually, once we've become more accustomed to each other's characters, a lot of leeway just kind of naturally develops with that kind of stuff, but what you did was great.

Added in 11 minutes 27 seconds:
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:Did you guys read my Kaiju
I did! I appreciate that you put some thought into explaining it. Just a few edits I need though: so this game has no franchise monsters at all, it's all original. So Drinnosaurus couldn't be an ancestor of Godzilla because there is no Godzilla. Also, as part of the game's plot, all of the earth kaiju have the same 'mystery origin' that I haven't revealed yet. What we do know is that the kaiju appeared for the first time 20,000 years ago, and then disappeared 1,000 years later. They have all just appeared again, beginning two days prior to the start of the game, introducing the modern world to the existence of kaiju. So it's fine for Drinosaurus to be in Antarctica, but he can't have been there since dinosaur times and researchers can't have found him before he emerged.

Let me know if you have any questions! There's a lot here so please don't hesitate.