Emergence: Kaiju Invasion HUB

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Emergence: Kaiju Invasion HUB

Post by Zarm »

Tanniyn (singular and plural form), possibly suggested by Rachel Pacheco, after the Hebrew word (often translated sea monster, serpent, or dragon) used to describe massive beasts like Leviathan and Behemoth?

(Alternately, Behemoths; both a Biblical reference and a Harryhausen reference!)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I was actually originally going to make it 'Titans' at some point in the game, but then KotM stole it. No joke. But I do like both of those. Making it a biblical reference seems to endow the kaiju with literal god-like fearsomeness.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Figures Canuck. I'm happy for the Monsterverse, but...it just fits so well!

But "Behemoths"...hmm. It fits too, and Harryhausen is a big influence on how I go about most of my stories, much less this one. My only other idea is "Goliaths", but "Behemoths" just seems to work.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't know that we need a specific name, really. If we can't use 'kaiju', anything else (like 'Titans', for example) would just sound kind of forced to me. I'd be fine just calling them monsters. A good portion of our dialogue so far just calls them monsters, or things, or generic names like that, anyway. But if we do choose a name, Zarm's idea currently has my vote. How is Tanniyn supposed to be pronounced, though?

And don't worry about the inactivity, MinorBone. The game has hardly moved forward at all in three months, so you haven't missed or disrupted anything.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I have no idea. I kind of assumed 'Tan-ee-yin'? I don't suppose there are any Hebrew scholars on the boards...? :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ah. In that case, I'm gonna go with 'tuh-neen', until such time as a Hebrew scholar comes forward with an answer. Anyway, I mainly like this name because it's obscure (I'd never heard it before, and it isn't even on Wiktionary) and has a foreign, exotic quality to it that more familiar terms like Goliaths or Behemoths don't, at least for me.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

It's pronounced "tan-neen". The most accurate translation is "reptilian beast", not just "monster". Old Hebrew is a language that has a word for everything instead of a word that could mean more than one thing (for instance they have 32 words that are equivalent to our word "day", take that "not-literally-seven-days" people).

Sorry, went a little off-track/overboard there.
Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
goji89 wrote:

Andrew the Gojifan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Andrew the Gojifan »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Started the main design stage of the adaptation. I have to thank you guys again: you did most of the design and all of the trial-and-error for me. :huge: Due to this, very few things are being changed/replaced as far as kaiju concepts (some of the people concepts are being tweaked slightly to allow for a few storytelling details, but nothing's being changed you guys asked not to be).

I'm starting work on my second book (DMR) and another screenplay ("The Show"), but I should have a concept synopsis of Emergence Season 1 by Halloween to throw Canuck's way.

Thanks guys.

PS: "Kaiju" is purt-near copyrighted by Pacific Rim and the Monsterverse has their kaiju called Titans. Any title for our kaiju you would prefer instead?
"Behemoths" maybe?
Life is a Pay to Win rage game

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

I'm just gonna write a scene with the UN trying to figure out what to call them based on this conversation right here.
goji89 wrote:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Long post here. I know you're probably tired of these but I'm cruel, unusual, mainly unusual, and slightly sorry.

Just a question here first: in the adaptation, would anyone mind if I altered...I can't read my own handwriting. Hold on...wow that's x-men levels of convoluted. Would anyone mind if I altered a certain kaiju from Dover's appearance, shall we say, drastically? It's just a little too close in appearance to one of the sea monsters in my book (Lusca, aka "the Matadoria").
Spoiler:
I've finally devised my post, which will come up tomorrow. And yes, I did just say that to prove I haven't been slacking off whilst cavorting about with my plans for an adaptation. I would like to apologize for bugging you guys so much about it and for ever devising it in the first place. But when I get an idea for a premise, I never, ever write it down. I think about it for a few minutes and distract myself. If I can remember it the next day without any help from whatever stimuli made me think of the premise, then I know it's distinctive enough to work.
I got the idea for an Emergence adaptation about five or six months ago, and it stuck with me. I put it off until now because I figure an idea that keeps coming back like this must really be good. Heck, I know it. You guys are some of the best, most imaginative writers I've ever read the work of. If I see that you're never published professionally, I'll fully expect to wake up just afterwards. You chaps are going places, and I'm gonna make darn sure I help you get there, preferably in a vehicle better than an Alfa Romeo.
"Emergence" is written in what I call "Del Mar format", much like my book. No main character, rather the same events experienced by many separate characters. The kaiju will have no species name, rather they'll only go by individual names in order to make them more like characters than prop-creatures. Depending on tone, my sentients may be taken out.
Finally, there's no set "feel" to the story. Emotions will run the gamut as they do in real life, though quite a bit of horror-esque imagery will be present early on (the idea of kaiju, after all, is frightening). Emergence is rated tv-14 for destruction, violence, frightening imagery, and probably a few storylines reminiscent of Gen Urobuchi fiction. I stand by my personal rule to never write cussing or any innuendo. I want this to bring back the love of the genre to people everywhere, as well as challenge it to be better like the Dark Knight challenged superhero films.

Sorry guys, I'll hop off my soapbox. Thank you for everything.

Daws.
goji89 wrote:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I think the matter of Vrithigee's and/or his bond-mate appearance is best left up to the creator(s?). Otherwise, can't wait to see what you've got coming for us Daws, both in terms of the game and the adaption. The multi-perspective approach sounds awesome, and reflects the game itself, and I think tv-14 sounds about right - many of the kaiju are quite bloody. Carnaris comes to mind the most literally with her blood spurt attack, and Tyrosus' fighting style is quite gruesome as well.

And no need to thank us, you're the pro here - I'm just happy to be along for the ride! :D
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That sounds like the perfect format for this story. Inevitably, I'm sure our hypothetical TV network will want to push a few characters more into the spotlight than others for marketing purposes, but that's a problem for later, I guess. I also like that the kaiju will be treated as individuals. That'll help each of them stand out, and help make the series more distinct from properties like Pacific Rim.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So long as the tentacles- or something like them- stay, since the functionality is pretty much rooted in them, I'm fine with a change in appearance.

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One thing with regards to adapting my material: I have no particular attachment to Makara at this point in time. That might change when and if he starts doing things in the future, but for now, do whatever you want with him or even axe him entirely if need be. I imagine some things will need to be trimmed, and he's hardly a central figure as of now.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Thanks guys. :huge:
goji89 wrote:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Just noticed this.
KaijuCanuck wrote: And no need to thank us, you're the pro here - I'm just happy to be along for the ride! :D
Dude, I'm unpublished (so far). :lol: I'm no pro, just someone who sits at a desk for an enormous amount of time listening to music to help orchestrate my scenes.

Which reminds me:
"Emergence" writing ost - Rex of the North/RCAF
goji89 wrote:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Oh my god. That’s so cool. :D

*squeals in shameless, self-aggrandizing delight*

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Hello! I stopped being lazy and depressed (FINALLY got the proper treatment I needed) and decided I wanted to join up after all. Whenever (or if at all) this opens up, anyone interested in meeting a giant moosebear? lol
many of the kaiju are quite bloody
I'm a very gory writer/fighter. I once got a response for a fighting post that went like "Jesus Christ, that's !/$%ed up". And yet my characters are so friendly and affable that they'd be perfectly capable of animating children's shows. Just not when they fight. lol
Last edited by Beast Blood on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, a great deal of blood gets spilled in our fights so far, so you'll probably fit in well enough. Whether you can actually join, though, will be up to KaijuCanuck.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

There's not a lot going on at the moment, although I think we're all interested in getting back into it sooner rather than later. If I recall from our earlier conversation though Beast Blood, you had some issues with the rules?