Tips for Starting an RPG Here

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Tips for Starting an RPG Here

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Hey guys. I'm interested in starting a superhero RPG here, but I'm new and I was wondering if people could tell what they generally like or what works well on this forum. I had a decently successful game over at Kaiju Galaxy. The player count was admittedly quite low, around four to five regular players, but we went for like four years and maybe only ever had one major disagreement between players. You can check it out if you want here. http://s4.zetaboards.com/KaijuGalaxy/forum/3324477/

The style was very free form. There was a complicated uniting story arc, but other than that everyone was extremely free to do what they wanted in terms of character creation and add their own lore to this shared superhero world. Does anyone think this would work well here, or do you prefer a more tightly structured experience?

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Tips for Starting an RPG Here

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Well, I don't know much about RPG's, but what i can recommend is focusing on story rather than combat. That seem's to be a killer around here. Also, don't be afraid to deny characters you think will drag the story down - I've seen a lot of mary sues and, admittedly, probably made a few. They can easily make a story infinitely less enjoyable.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Tips for Starting an RPG Here

Post by KaijuCanuck »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Well, I don't know much about RPG's, but what i can recommend is focusing on story rather than combat. That seem's to be a killer around here. Also, don't be afraid to deny characters you think will drag the story down - I've seen a lot of mary sues and, admittedly, probably made a few. They can easily make a story infinitely less enjoyable.
Thanks for the info! While I do like to give players a lot of latitude in the types of characters they create, and encourage them to create their own lore, my experience comes from a much smaller forum - perhaps here I should try to be a little more restrictive if I'm lucky enough to have people interested. And I am definitely more interested in story, in my experience the battles are often planned out ahead by players anyway so nobody can call 'no fair!'.