Respect the Cthulhu Mythos

Discuss and analyze various feats!
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Respect the Cthulhu Mythos

Post by Spuro »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Doesn't literally just LOOKING at cthulhu drive one insane? I've never actually read cthulhu mythos, but from what i've heard gazing upon him = madness: and no doubt, Godzilla is intelligent enough to be able to go insane.
No, it doesn't. It's a gross exaggeration of the main character suffering PTSD from surviving a giant fucking monster.

Chtulhu makes you no more insane by looking at him than Rodan does.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Doesn't literally just LOOKING at cthulhu drive one insane? I've never actually read cthulhu mythos, but from what i've heard gazing upon him = madness: and no doubt, Godzilla is intelligent enough to be able to go insane.
No, it doesn't. It's a gross exaggeration of the main character suffering PTSD from surviving a giant fucking monster.

Chtulhu makes you no more insane by looking at him than Rodan does.
good to know.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Chtulhu makes you no more insane by looking at him than Rodan does.
Is that an intentional choice of Kaiju to use for the comparison? Because that's kind of exactly what happens to the main character in Rodan. :) (To be fair, that was essentially a form of PTSD as well, but it literally did just come from seeing him.)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

So Cthulhu can't induce madness in people? At least, not willingly or as a guaranteed power?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Birdman wrote:So Cthulhu can't induce madness in people? At least, not willingly or as a guaranteed power?
In some interpretations, yes. In others, no. The Cthulhu mythos is a hodgepodge of stories by a bunch of different authors, along with many other stories in different mediums.
There is no set canon.
In some versions, likely including Lovecraft's original, KaijuKing42's assessment is correct. In other versions, Cthulhu is in fact capable of inducing madness in people willingly.

I say likely including the original because the original tells us next to nothing about Cthulhu's abilities. Which is why most people rely upon the Cthulhu Mythos for his abilities, but like I said, the Cthulhu Mythos is confusing because there's no singular canon, yet no distinctions are made between the canons. Also, most stories don't even have guys like Cthulhu come out preform feats of great power, because that would be the end of the story, because it would be the irreversible apocalypse, in just about every case.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Zarm wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Chtulhu makes you no more insane by looking at him than Rodan does.
Is that an intentional choice of Kaiju to use for the comparison? Because that's kind of exactly what happens to the main character in Rodan. :) (To be fair, that was essentially a form of PTSD as well, but it literally did just come from seeing him.)
Yeah, it was intentional. Rodan is probably the most Lovecraftian kaiju movie in terms of atmosphere. At least the first act.

My point was that the mental conditions weren't caused by a magical ability on Rodan or Chtulhu's part, but by incredible fear and stress by the characters. Keep in mind the protagonist of Call of Chtulhu had just survived a labyrinth of impossible angles and an attack by a giant monster, and the protagonist of Rodan had been lost in a cave of monsters for who knows how long?

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
Birdman wrote:So Cthulhu can't induce madness in people? At least, not willingly or as a guaranteed power?
In some interpretations, yes. In others, no. The Cthulhu mythos is a hodgepodge of stories by a bunch of different authors, along with many other stories in different mediums.
There is no set canon.
In some versions, likely including Lovecraft's original, KaijuKing42's assessment is correct. In other versions, Cthulhu is in fact capable of inducing madness in people willingly.
I never really consider the other versions canon. August Derleth was a sleazy hack who abused the death of his friend to sell books in his name. He didn't understand the point of Lovecraft's work at all. The others are more or less glorified fan-fiction. Some are good, some are bad. But I wouldn't consider using them for an FM. (Granted, I wouldn't consider using Lovecraft's monsters for FMs in the first place, for many of the reasons we find Varan or the OG Godzilla so difficult to be sure of. His stuff just isn't built for FMs. But that's another story entirely.)

Many of the tales by Clark Ashton Smith and Robert Howard (author of Conan the Barbarian) MAY however be considered canon to the mythos. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: I never really consider the other versions canon. August Derleth was a sleazy hack who abused the death of his friend to sell books in his name. He didn't understand the point of Lovecraft's work at all. The others are more or less glorified fan-fiction. Some are good, some are bad. But I wouldn't consider using them for an FM. (Granted, I wouldn't consider using Lovecraft's monsters for FMs in the first place, for many of the reasons we find Varan or the OG Godzilla so difficult to be sure of. His stuff just isn't built for FMs. But that's another story entirely.
I agree completely with the part about them not being fit for FMs. But, you know how some people are, they gotta see how strong everything is. Not calling anyone out on here, but other forums with vs debates have issues with that.

Also agreed on Derleth, but that's neither here nor there.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.