Explosions: Vaild Or Invaild

Discuss and analyze various feats!
Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Re: Explosions: Vaild Or Invaild

Post by Inferno Rodan »

three wrote:more powerful bombs were dropped in the pacific than on hiroshima or nagasaki, but there was more damage caused in a clustered urban environment than anywhere in the ocean. you can't measure power by damage output.
Since when are buildings the only measure of damage? Most of the nuclear tests left freaking giant-ass craters in the ground. That's way more impressive than knocking down buildings.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
three wrote:more powerful bombs were dropped in the pacific than on hiroshima or nagasaki, but there was more damage caused in a clustered urban environment than anywhere in the ocean. you can't measure power by damage output.
Since when are buildings the only measure of damage? Most of the nuclear tests left freaking giant-ass craters in the ground. That's way more impressive than knocking down buildings.
no kidding, but the point was that you don't necessarily measure damage the same way across the board, which means that there is no way to use damage itself as a standard to measure power. derrr.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

three wrote:no kidding, but the point was that you don't necessarily measure damage the same way across the board, which means that there is no way to use damage itself as a standard to measure power. derrr.
That makes no sense.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
three wrote:no kidding, but the point was that you don't necessarily measure damage the same way across the board, which means that there is no way to use damage itself as a standard to measure power. derrr.
That makes no sense.
neither does "there were lots of sparks; it was a powerful explosion". sue me, but i no fucks to give when someone who isn't making sense can't understand a very simple concept (even Emp is getting it, so catch on already kiddo).

when you do, get back to me, then we can talk about it. ;D
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

three wrote:neither does "there were lots of sparks; it was a powerful explosion". sue me, but i no skreeonks to give when someone who isn't making sense can't understand a very simple concept (even Emp is getting it, so catch on already kiddo).

when you do, get back to me, then we can talk about it. ;D
Sparks are a helluva lot better indicator than flames since actual powerful explosions generally aren't very fiery, but that's beside the point.

The point you're trying to make is nonsensical. You're suggesting that damage isn't an indicator of power, and cite the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki compared to more powerful tests done elsewhere. You're implying that the damage output of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs was greater. This is false. The damage done by the more powerful tests was greater.

Also I suggest you cool it with the attitude, lest you find yourself kicked from the usergroup. You're on thin ice as it is due to things you've said in the past.

ZillaJr-KaijuKing
G-Force Personnel

Post by ZillaJr-KaijuKing »

I think this is the best place to bring up the relationship between energy and area of effect in fiction.

https://www.loungeforums.com/i/embed/b7 ... qsdjs6.jpg

Here, we have a canonical example of a Toho movie weapon being stated to have an energy output equivalent to multiple Megatons of TNT in the form of a concentrated heat ray with non-city-busting area of effect. I want to know what the forum thinks of this.
Last edited by ZillaJr-KaijuKing on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:I think this is the best place to bring up the relationship between energy and area of effect in fiction.

http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... emperature

Here, we have a canonical example of a Toho movie weapon being stated to have an energy output equivalent to multiple Megatons of TNT in the form of a concentrated heat ray with non-city-busting area of effect. I want to know what the forum thinks of this.
Inb4 "outlier"

I think the calc looks good, but heaven help you for the others to even consider accepting this.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:I think this is the best place to bring up the relationship between energy and area of effect in fiction.

http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... emperature

I really, REALLY wish you would stop bringing that stuff here.

First of all, heat output =/= explosive power, so that's a stupid-ass connection to make in the first place even if it isn't technically false in this case.

Second of all, if its heat output really was that high, everyone in the room would have been incinerated by the radiant heat. I don't care how narrow band it is, that much energy passing through the air would produce catastrophic effects for anyone in the vicinity.

Basically what I'm saying is the script is -------- and shouldn't be taken seriously.

ZillaJr-KaijuKing
G-Force Personnel

Post by ZillaJr-KaijuKing »

Gerdzerl wrote: Inb4 "outlier"

I think the calc looks good, but heaven help you for the others to even consider accepting this.
Oh, I was talking about the screenshots, not the calc. Should have been a link to the image instead.

So not even character statements by the in-universe scientists who created a weapon can justify extraordinary energy output?

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote: Inb4 "outlier"

Oh, I was talking about the screenshots, not the calc. Should have been a link to the image instead.

So not even character statements by the in-universe scientists who created a weapon can justify extraordinary energy output?
What is seen overrides what it stated. If what is seen supports what it stated, it works. Otherwise, it's an outlier.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Giratina93 wrote: What is seen overrides what it stated. If what is seen supports what it stated, it works. Otherwise, it's an outlier.
I dunno if we should follow that logic for everything. Toho movies are known for their special effect inconsistencies as well. so sometimes what's "seen" will have inconsistent feats over the course of a film.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Giratina93 wrote: What is seen overrides what it stated. If what is seen supports what it stated, it works. Otherwise, it's an outlier.
I dunno if we should follow that logic for everything. Toho movies are known for their special effect inconsistencies as well. so sometimes what's "seen" will have inconsistent feats over the course of a film.
And in that case, we let simple logic take over. Of course, you got to remember at the end of the day that the movie makers and script writers aren't as physics savvy as some of us here, and only want to entertain. "Consistency?! What's that?! Let's go ahead and make Godzilla's beam barely do jack shit to the side of a hill in one scene, cause a big-ass explosion that rocks Sydney the next, and blows up a meteor right ontop of his head the next!" It's not just monster movies either that suffer from lack of consistency, though some more than others. There's a reason Superman has so many powers, and in the hands of one writer, he can solo the entire Justice League blindfolded, while in another, SOLOMON GRUNDY beats his ass in. :P

Now, I'm not saying that "why bother trying to make sense of it all?" Sometimes, there IS enough consistency and explanation for why inconsistencies happen that we CAN reliably judge movie/comic/TV show stuff. But oftentimes, you're out of luck with it. sometimes, you just can't explain why Godzilla's beam is so hot it vaporizes and blinds some people near it in one scene, and in another, lol nothing. You'll end up shrugging when Spiderman can lift up a car in one panel, but can't get Green Goblin off of him in another.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Unit~NoA
G-Force Personnel

Post by Unit~NoA »

Giratina93 wrote:"Consistency?! What's that?! Let's go ahead and make Godzilla's beam barely do jack shit to the side of a hill in one scene, cause a big-ass explosion that rocks Sydney the next, and blows up a meteor right ontop of his head the next!"
You've triggered my inner Final Wars apologist!

If you'll look back in each of those scenes you can notice the charge time in each scene varies. Most of Godzilla's higher end beam feats utilized a charge time of 2(+) seconds, like the Sydney nuking. The Meteor busting, counting the time it also takes to position himself, more than 10 seconds. Aside from kicking up tons of Earth and setting it ablaze, the breath used on that large hill was about 1 second. The only odd ball that doesn't follow this rule is the one where he'd blown up the small building in the Antarctica, being like 5 seconds. So some kaiju power output might rely on charge time. My two cents.