Halo respect thread

Discuss and analyze various feats!
Breakdown
Keizer

Halo respect thread

Post by Breakdown »

This thread will focus on all things Halo related that are worth mentioning in VS matches. Initially feats will be for SPARTANS, Elites, etc but I will eventually expand it to include things such as technology in the event we get something like say a Covenant Cruiser vs a Star Destroyer. Anyway:

Master Chief

Master Chief ( as a teenager, post augmentation) fights and kills four ODSTs on accident:
Spoiler:
Master Chief rips off a mounted weapon on a robotic exoskeleton, and dodges bullets at point blank:
Spoiler:
Equipped with the MJOLNIR Mk V, he crushes a Jackal's head with a single kick:
Spoiler:
Master Chief fights and kills a low-ranking Elite in Zero-G, and it's outright stated that the Elite was just as strong as him:
Spoiler:
Master Chief sees ODSTs fighting in slow-motion:
Spoiler:
Master Chief deflects a missile bare handed:
Spoiler:
Master Chief runs a half kilometer stretch in 17 seconds with a torn Achilles tendon:
Spoiler:
Master Chief, without armor and post-augmentations believes he can survive a 30 meter drop:
Spoiler:
Master Chief's shields tank 50mm ammunition that would have shredded his armor:
Spoiler:
Master Chief punches a Jackal so hard that he breaks it's shields and sends it flying off a cliff:
Spoiler:
Master Chief slams an Elite's head against a wall so hard that he kills it instantly:
Spoiler:
Master Chief sneaks up behind two Elites and breaks their spines with his bare hands:
Spoiler:
Master Chief tanks a plasma bolt to the back. Halo: Ghosts of Onyx states Covenant plasma is 3000 degrees F.
Spoiler:
Master Chief tanks a Fuel Rod to the chest, said projectile can melt a fully armored Marine and is typically used as an anti-vehicle weapon by the Covenant:
Spoiler:
And again:
Spoiler:
More to come for Master Chief and others when I get around to it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Halo respect thread

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Would be cool...If Video game characters were allowed in FMs.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Um BD, you do of course realize that video game characters aren't allowed in the FM? So this thread. Kind of pointless.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Stuckey
The Legend

Post by Stuckey »

Except you can use Master Chief and his feats from the books because it isn't from the video games.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Stuckey wrote:Except you can use Master Chief and his feats from the books because it isn't from the video games.
OK, let's use things from books.
Voldemort wins all the time because Avada Kadabera.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Except you can use Master Chief and his feats from the books because it isn't from the video games.
OK, let's use things from books.
Voldemort wins all the time because Avada Kadabera.
Oh, and I guess because Sora is a character who has appeared in Manga, he can appear in Fantasy Matches too.
Sora wins all the time because HEARTS DARKNESS LIGHT AND STUPID-ASS PLOT powers.

Ratchet & Clank had a manga too. Guess that means they're eligible as well. Giant Clank VS Godzilla.
Giant Clank wins because R.Y.N.O.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I don't get how this is such a big deal considerng we're using Chiefs feats from the books, comics, etc and not the games themselves. You all do realize that the no video game characters rule was implemented because gameplay mechanics prevent them from being properly assessed right?
ImageImage

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Breakdown wrote:I don't get how this is such a big deal considerng we're using Chiefs feats from the books, comics, etc and not the games themselves. You all do realize that the no video game characters rule was implemented because gameplay mechanics prevent them from being properly assessed right?
Yes. That's actually rather obvious.
But I guess if we can use that logic to weave around the rules, let's get Giant Clank in a battle here soon.
Also, holy crap those Master Chief books make him out to be a freaking Gary Stu or something.
Kind of like Mothra Leo now that I think about it...
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

And? What the hell is the problem?
ImageImage

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote: But I guess if we can use that logic to weave around the rules, let's get Giant Clank in a battle here soon.
Also, holy crap those Master Chief books make him out to be a freaking Gary Stu or something.
Kind of like Mothra Leo now that I think about it...
It's not weaving around the rules. If a video game charcter like Master Chief is featured in novels, movies, manga, anime, or other non-video game media, then it is perfectly okay to use the that version of that character. Anything that happened in the video game has absolutely no influence on it.

Let's go with your Giant Clank example. If Giant Clank had a R.Y.N.O. in the manga, used it, and the viewer sees the results of said usage, then he has that weapon in his potential fantasy match arsenal. If any of those three factors aren't fulfilled, then he does not have it.

And for the record, yes, Master Chief is a fairly boring character personality wise. But his and other SPARTAN soldier's feats make sense when put into the context that they are genetically modified super soldiers using the most advanced technology the human race possessed in the 26th century. If you consider humanity went from horse drawn carriages to interplanetary flight in less than a century, the technology to make things like Master Chief a reality could very well be attainable, if not exceeded by then. Also, Master Chief and the rest of the Covenant/UNSC are still practically nothing compared to the Forerunners and ancient humans.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Master Chief (Cont)

Master Chief tears open a blast door with his bare hands while under sustained fire from Covenant plasma weapons:
Spoiler:
Despite numerous injuries and combat-fatigue from fighting on Halo, Master Chief fights and kills a Spec-Ops Elite with an Energy Sword with his bare hands. Note that this is almost immediately after Halo: The Flood which is a novelization of the first game:
Spoiler:
The Flood

A Flood Combat Form hits Master Chief so hard that it almost knocks the 1 ton Spartan to the ground, as well as depleting half of his shields.
Spoiler:
A Flood-infected Bero' Kusovai is able to go toe to toe with Shipmaster Rtas 'Vadumee, one of the greatest swordsmen of his race:
Spoiler:
An infected Marine backhands Sgt Johnson with enough force to lift him up off the ground and across the room (Which in itself is a pretty impressive feat for Johnson):
Spoiler:

I hope to buy some more Halo comics and novels at my local Barns and Noble, as well as some Warhammer 40k novels involving Tyranids for WH-related stuff.
ImageImage

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

Breakdown wrote: I hope to buy some more Halo comics and novels at my local Barns and Noble, as well as some Warhammer 40k novels involving Tyranids for WH-related stuff.
There is a Tyranid E-book bundle on the black library. 10 novels and 11 short stories for 80 dollars. If that seems a bit much, you can pick and choose some from the bundle to buy individually from their store.

A problem with Tyranid novels is there are only a few good ones (in my opinion), and even the codices were pretty meh in terms of quality stories. I have not looked at the 7th edition though, so looking into that might be a decent idea. The best ones are the short stories.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

^ Im aware of the bundle, but I don't know which has good showings for Tyranids and a kickass battle story to boot. I think a few of them focus on the Battle of Macragge, is this true? If so that'll be the one I'll probaby buy since it's among my favorite in Warhammer fiction.
ImageImage

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

That would be Warriors of Ultramar. I believe it was written before the Swarm Lord was introduced though, so you may miss on that specific little bit of lore.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The Didact:

The Didact kills all members of Team Black with his bare hands
Spoiler:

The Didact produces a shockwave that knocks Team Blue on their asses:
Spoiler:
The Didact survives a point black shot to the face by a charged Boltshot, which is basically a pocket laser-shotgun. Hardlight projectiles have been stated to destroy any organic matter. Additionally according to Halo: Escalation, Issue #10, Forerunner Armor can adapt to be immune to enemy weaponry:
Spoiler:
The Didact gets stabbed in the eye with a combat knife, ignores the pain, and begins to crush Master Chief's helmet, wich is made of Titanium A (Titanium reinforced at a molecular level)
Spoiler:
The Didact gets atomized. Master Chief later implies that the Didact survives.
Spoiler:
ImageImage

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Bumpin' for Breakdown
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

^ Thanks bro!

The Didact (cont)

The Didact ragdolls Master Chief into the other Spartans of Blue Team, knocking them all on their asses:
Spoiler:
The Didact tanks two point-blank Scattershot blasts. The Scattershot is a Forerunner laser shotgun that fires Hardlight projectiles. After this his armor attunes itself to become resistant (and leads to the other scan with the Boltshot):
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

The Halo book feats are kinda bullshit. Master Chief crushes an Elite's skull in one punch in Halo: The Flood. It's like they forgot Elites have shielding or something. Fuck, it takes 3-4 melees to kill an Elite in Normal (which I suppose is the 'canon' difficulty since Elites in Heroic are as strong as MC), much less in Heroic/Legendary. Also Master Chief killing Hunters with frag grenades.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Heroic is 343/Bungie's official "canon" difficulty, but it's moot anyway since the gameplay mechanics are still in-play and thus are not permitted. Also killing a Hunter with a well-placed frag grenade is entirely possible. If enough of the Lekgolo worms comprising the gestalt are damaged, it will die. One of the Spartan IIIs in Ghosts of Onyx rips out a huge clump of them with his bare hands and kills the Hunter. In Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn Chief jams a grenade inside of the Hunter and blows it to pieces. However if you're again referring to in-game combat then disregard all of that. In Halo: The Flood the first two Hunters Chief fights required a rocket launcher with anti-tank warheads to kill.

I'm assuming when you're talking about the elite it's the scan where Chief slams the elite's head against a wall? It was never said that he crushed the elite's head, only that he eventually succeeded in killing it, and moved on. Also the elite's rank is never noted, and it's a concrete, in-universe fact that low ranking elites have piss-weak shields.
ImageImage

GodzillaLord
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaLord »

Didn't a Grunt, the weakest covenant force....rip apart a human, as the first casualty in the war.
"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."
GodzillaLord wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?.
No. Given that the majority of Godzilla kaiju aren't sentient and are essentially just large animals, that's a little bit messed up. "Shrug", i digress do what you like, but i don't need the information.