Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 1)

Post by Gotschiller »

That outro is interesting...
Hi!

omelettetdq3z
Yojimbo

Post by omelettetdq3z »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:46 am
omelettetdq3z wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:12 am Anyone see this? At 0:46 there's a shadow that looks suspiciously like Varan. Could we be approaching his renaissance period?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... t_opening/
I hope so but the silhouette looks a bit too much like Gabara..
I was worried about that too at first, but the silhouette doesn't have the big horn like on Gabara's design.
It's hard to keep my expectations low, though. Toho finally remembering Varan in something would be a dream come true...
Last edited by omelettetdq3z on Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

omelettetdq3z wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:12 am Anyone see this? At 0:46 there's a shadow that looks suspiciously like Varan. Could we be approaching his renaissance period?

My dude, Gabara has an unmistakably huge-ass forward facing horn on his head. That silhouette ain't got that.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

NSZ wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:27 pm

My dude, Gabara has an unmistakably huge-ass forward facing horn on his head. That silhouette ain't got that.
I see that, now. Varan better not have full-fledged wings this time around.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

The opening music sounds like character select music in a Sega Dreamcast fighting game.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

So I saw a leak of jet Jaguar doing a fortnite dance and I wanted to die
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:58 pm So I saw a leak of jet Jaguar doing a fortnite dance and I wanted to die
What does one have to do with the other? :JetJaguar:
Hi!

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

It's not Gabara, horns are definitely different. I'm betting on it being Varan personally, although if not, maybe it could relate to one of the leaked toys.

Added in 11 minutes 31 seconds:
Gotschiller wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 am That outro is interesting...
So many references to past films, it's crazy. A lot of love went into that Ed, and I was surprised to see how many human characters from the previous films made appearances.

Characters I spotted include Naoko from 84, Kayoko Anne Patterson from Shin, half the cast of GMK, 89's Miki, Akane, Sarah, and Sarah's from 02, the GPN from 2K, Ichiro and his friend from AMA (they actually appear twice), almost the entire cast of Godzilla vs. Gigan, Dr. Serizawa, Emiko and Ogata (possibly the Prime Ministers from 02), Sea Monster's cast, the Zone family, Ms. Namikawa, Shinya Tsukamoto's character from Shin Godzilla, the Shobijin of course, Godzilla 1998's cast (Nick, Hank, etc.), the princess and her bodyguard from Ghidorah TTHM, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla's priest, 84's Hobo, the secretary-general from Final Wars (maybe?), and whom I think is supposed to be Dr. Yamane.

I'm sure I missed some and would be curious to see who else others will find. This outro was awesome. Singular Point is looking to potentially far exceed my expectations, and this is like the cherry-on-top of it all.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm currently watching episode 2. How has no one mentioned Rhedosurus appearing at all?

Btw, the specific thing is a reference to this poster, the japanese one.

Even if it's just a reference, it's absolutely bonkers.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 2)

Post by Shenanigans »

So I'm not watching the series yet, as I do not know Japanese and must wait like the filthy American that I am, buuuuut I did happen upon some screenshots from the outro on Wikizilla. I'm fully on-board with the weirdness of the show, but it does kinda look like they gave us a tantalizing glimpse of what a more "normal" Godzilla anime series could have been. I mean just look at this shit! Its fucking awesome!
Spoiler:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:58 pm So I'm not watching the series yet, as I do not know Japanese and must wait like the filthy American that I am, buuuuut I did happen upon some screenshots from the outro on Wikizilla. I'm fully on-board with the weirdness of the show, but it does kinda look like they gave us a tantalizing glimpse of what a more "normal" Godzilla anime series could have been. I mean just look at this poop! Its skreeonking awesome!
Spoiler:

The outro is something else. But the anime itself is so well animated I wouldn't worry.

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
Second episode was really good. The action and fight between Rodan and Jet Jaguar was a good first conflict and was the right length. To clarify, once Ooya is kicked out of the cockpit, Yun briefly controls jet jaguar with some pre-controlled dances for the festival. Then he installs an AI into it. I liked the fight with the music, and it had the right amount of humor but also genuine fear. Jet Jaguar and the animation are so fluid.

I liked how towns and places around Japan soon started advertising Rodan merchandise.

Btw, I'm pretty sure this is the first time monsters have appeared like this in universe. During the Rodan naming sequence, many people are shocked by the word "Kaiju" and Rodan's name. Funnily enough, it's called Radon (Rodan's japanese name) due to a high concentration of Radon (the element) in it's body. However, later Havel refers to it as the Denpa Kaiju, or the "radio wave Kaiju". It's interesting because Rodan does have the basic Godzilla spikes, implying again another connection.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:41 pm I'm currently watching episode 2. How has no one mentioned Rhedosurus appearing at all?

Btw, the specific thing is a reference to this poster, the japanese one.

Even if it's just a reference, it's absolutely bonkers.
In that image they also reference the poster for One Million Years B.C.'s, with the main woman from that film's poster being in-front of the Rhedosaurus.

Added in 8 minutes 1 second:
Shenanigans wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:58 pm So I'm not watching the series yet, as I do not know Japanese and must wait like the filthy American that I am, buuuuut I did happen upon some screenshots from the outro on Wikizilla. I'm fully on-board with the weirdness of the show, but it does kinda look like they gave us a tantalizing glimpse of what a more "normal" Godzilla anime series could have been. I mean just look at this poop! Its skreeonking awesome!
Spoiler:

The ending credits is an absolute love letter to the franchise. A lot of people will be joyous when they see all the references, I nearly burst out of my seat.
Also haha, I'm an English-speaker who knows very little Japanese so I have pretty much no clue what the plot's actually about. I'm still really enjoying the series though, can't wait for the English release, seems like there may be some developing themes to this series that could potentially have a decent amount of depth. I really look forward to where this series is going.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:30 pmAlso haha, I'm an English-speaker who knows very little Japanese so I have pretty much no clue what the plot's actually about. I'm still really enjoying the series though, can't wait for the English release, seems like there may be some developing themes to this series that could potentially have a decent amount of depth. I really look forward to where this series is going.
I'm at the level where I can understand most of the conversations and general gists of things, but anything scientific goes over my head.

Also, is the smog coming from the castle a reference to something? There's also a Rodan in the ending with burning wings, a possible reference to KOTM.

I'm pretty sure there's even some 98 and TAS stuff referenced. I see Animal, Audrey's husband holding the camera in the shot with King Shisa and Manda. Behind him MIGHT be Craven from TAS.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm Also, is the smog coming from the castle a reference to something?
That's Hedorah, maybe the one from the Polygon trilogy.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm
EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:30 pmAlso haha, I'm an English-speaker who knows very little Japanese so I have pretty much no clue what the plot's actually about. I'm still really enjoying the series though, can't wait for the English release, seems like there may be some developing themes to this series that could potentially have a decent amount of depth. I really look forward to where this series is going.
Also, is the smog coming from the castle a reference to something? There's also a Rodan in the ending with burning wings, a possible reference to KOTM.

I'm pretty sure there's even some 98 and TAS stuff referenced. I see Animal, Audrey's husband holding the camera in the shot with King Shisa and Manda. Behind him MIGHT be Craven from TAS.
It's definitely a recreation of the KOTM Rodan chase, there are tons of references in the credits. I recognised human characters from 54, 64b, 65, 66, 69, 72, ZF, 74, 84, 89, 98, 99, 01, 02, and Shin. I'm sure there's probably a good amount that I missed though.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:53 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm

It's definitely a recreation of the KOTM Rodan chase, there are tons of references in the credits. I recognised human characters from 54, 64b, 65, 66, 69, 72, ZF, 74, 84, 89, 98, 99, 01, 02, and Shin. I'm sure there's probably a good amount that I missed though.
Oh I know that it's just strange that, they'd reference KOTM so soon. But I've confirmed there's a bunch of 1998 stuff in there. Minus the end shot, I don't think anything in the ending is a spoiler for this specific series. However, the last shot makes it clear that's a megalon/kumonga creature. Also Varan is in the opening briefly, but also has Godzilla spines.

So far Rodan, Varan (?), Titanosurus have had these sort of spines.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I had a realization that episode 2 delivers more satisfactory action, with he street level fight of JJ vs Rodan, between all of the monster planet trilogy. Let that sink in.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Man, i might not understand most of the dialogue but i'm absolutely loving this series so far!
Hi!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:19 pm So far Rodan, Varan (?), Titanosurus have had these sort of spines.
Don't forget the spine on Manda's tail.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Woah...the outro on the second episode. Does this mean were getting Biollante, Kiryu, etc? What did I just see? Loving the series so far. I'm hooked.