Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 5)

Post by Smuggers »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:40 pm I’m getting tired of people melting down over small changes legendary makes and then be bending over backwards to justify why Toho doing this kind of thing is ok
Wow, it's almost as if people's opinions on different design interpretations can vary, and that the people you're projecting these views onto might not even exist and are just some anti-Western strawman you've made up.

So if we can count you out, does that mean you're gonna stop popping in every week to remind everyone that you don't like it and that the Monsterverse is only Godzilla-related thing you currently have faith in? Personally thought Jet Jaguar leg-gate would've been the limit for you.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Maybe Toho will masterfully work this all into some climax where all our of favorite kaiju are revealed, I don't know. I only just watched the newest episode and can only understand a few Japanese phrases, so I have no idea what is going on.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:14 am
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:54 am Everyone sorta overthinking the naming thing a bit too much. Stuff like Salunga, Aqualitus, blue Hedorah, and the bug hybrids are new kaiju that reference the older ones heavily, hence the new names

I quite like it tbh. I’d understand being upset if Anguirus wasn’t actually Anguirus but renamed “Terralitus”, but kaiju like Titano and Gabara aren’t very sacred when it comes to redesigns and reimaginings like other, more recognizable TOHO kaiju :lol:
I guess my issue is that many of us fans have been wanting these monsters to get more appearances. The new Varan that may show up is arguably going to be the worst case of this. Most everyone wants Varan to get more love, and while a new monster that looks like him could be considered love, it's also just weird to me. If it's a new monster, shouldn't it have a totally new design? And if it's an old design, shouldn't it have an old name too?
I guess since the designs have been altered to such an extent (Titano in particular) and have certain “Singular Point” exclusive qualities they wanted them to be their own kaiju. Plus marketing, of course
In a similar example, The Force Awakens (and much of the sequel trilogy) introduced tons of new aliens without having many old ones. For me and my friends, it made the universe feel very different than the one I know and love (probably because I grew up with the prequels). A specific example is the Ottegan in TFA. It's described as a genetic offshoot of Ithorian's, but where Ithorians have gills instead of a mouth, this dude just has a mouth. Why not just make him a full on Ithorian?
Now that i can understand.Love me some Star Wars, Prequels, Clone Wars, and The Mandalorian...not so much the sequels lol It’s just a symptom of Lucasfilm’s laziness, OT pandering, and total lack of creativity. Things that definitely aren’t the case for SP.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Denis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:17 am
LamangoKaijura wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am
Denis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 am Ngl, the Mandas are so long. Since we are getting multiple, I wonder what they are after. Are they after Godzilla or something?
Someone has a theory that they're all just combining and not 'fighting'.
That kinda wouldn’t make sense imo. Since you can literally see Godzilla bleeding and likely roaring in pain. Plus Godzilla Ultima is his last form anyways.
It makes a lot of sense.
Spoiler:
Rodans die, Rodan on the website has Godzilla dorsal plates. Anguirus eats the Rodans, gains some weird power. And the Ultima could be all the monsters combined. Trust me, I hate typing this but it seems like this is what they're doing.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 am
Gigantis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:25 ami wonder if it really was meant to be them but they could only get the rights to so many monsters for some reason.
why would Toho need the rights to their own monsters?
I remember from pipeworks game era it being discussed that due to Japanese IP Law the monsters aren't technically owned by the company but rights are spread across multiple individuals and part of the expense of the rights is tracking down everyone that needs to sign.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So.. Anguirus not only can see that future like he's Shulk from Xenoblade, but he can also teleport?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:45 pm So.. Anguirus not only can see that future like he's Shulk from Xenoblade, but he can also teleport?
The mental image of Anguirus yelling “I’M REALLY FEELING IT!” whilst wielding the Monado Sword is a hilarious one
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:45 pm So.. Anguirus not only can see that future like he's Shulk from Xenoblade, but he can also teleport?
I suspect more like he can temporarily stop time. KONO DIO DA.

I don't have any real opinions on Angurius yet. I really love the design, I think making Angurius's spines rotate and wobble, in order to use some sort of special ability is pretty cool. Other than that, he's still Angurius, roar and he's getting bigger.

One thing I'm wondering is what they'll do with him. Episode 5 ends on a climax with Angurius, and everything until now has been shown in the trailers. I'm hoping we get a satisfying fight, but I wonder if they'll kill him or something else will happen.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wonder if JJ and Angurius team up to fight Godzilla in the end somehow.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pm I wonder if JJ and Angurius team up to fight Godzilla in the end somehow.
I honestly would love that, and think that's a legitimate possibility. It would be a cool and unique team-up that we haven't seen. Heck, in the film series, Angurius has never fought Rodan so I also wouldn't mind seeing a big Rodan fight Angurius.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Obviously I think Anguirus' ability to "see into the future" will probably become an important plot point later on.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm
Denis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:17 am
LamangoKaijura wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am

Someone has a theory that they're all just combining and not 'fighting'.
That kinda wouldn’t make sense imo. Since you can literally see Godzilla bleeding and likely roaring in pain. Plus Godzilla Ultima is his last form anyways.
It makes a lot of sense.
Spoiler:
Rodans die, Rodan on the website has Godzilla dorsal plates. Anguirus eats the Rodans, gains some weird power. And the Ultima could be all the monsters combined. Trust me, I hate typing this but it seems like this is what they're doing.
How would they though? We can literally see Manda attacking Godzilla Ultima. As for the Rodans having dorsal plates that I don’t know why we gotta wait again. But I do feel like Anguirus and Manda are the monsters that won’t fall under the control of Godzilla. One of the few monsters to challenge him, (If Anguirus actually grows more and doesn’t die by Jet Jaguar)
Last edited by Denis on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pm I wonder if JJ and Angurius team up to fight Godzilla in the end somehow.
“weird, big, future-seeing ankylosaurus and funny robot man fighting giant theropod with laser beam” is a fight i’d love to see
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Got the Aquatalis figure. It’s a bit strange, because I see the clear Shin Gojira influence. Simultaneously, it’s made Kamatakun less of an oddity and more of a generally accepted thing in Godzilla.

Also, I’m looking at the legs of the Aquatalis figure. One thing that’s interesting is I noticed the frog legs. They’re not big and beefy, but Aquatalis has strong back legs. I wonder if when it gets on land it’ll hop around.
Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:31 am
“weird, big, future-seeing ankylosaurus and funny robot man fighting giant theropod with laser beam” is a fight i’d love to see
Btw, it’s confirmed in episode 5, that at least in this universe is just a corruption of Ankylosaur. This woman brings up up when talking to Ootaki on the golf course.

May I also take this time to say that having an action scene on a golf course is a unique location in the Godzilla franchise? Between the mansion, festival and golf course I think this series is utilizing locale well.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Starting episode 4, man those poor fishermen can't catch a break can they.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

I actually wanted to post this months ago. But don't Prof. Ashihara and Yun Arikawa look suspiciously similar?

They are the same height and the hair is the same. Even their names sound somewhat similar.

I wonder if that's intentional.
Hi!

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Gotschiller wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am I actually wanted to post this months ago. But don't Prof. Ashihara and Yun Arikawa look suspiciously similar?
Yeah, I got that feeling too. Maybe Ahsihara is Yun's ancestor/great-grandpa, but perhaps the Ashihara family name turned into Arikawa through generational localizations/explicit disownment of the professor for what he did?

Also, at the pace the series is going at, I wouldn't be too surprised if season 1 ends on a cliffhanger (maybe Godzilla Ultima "wins", meaning that the protagonists have to retreat and undo the damage in season 2). Definitely doesn't feel like we're getting Ultima until late into the season.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Gotschiller wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am I actually wanted to post this months ago. But don't Prof. Ashihara and Yun Arikawa look suspiciously similar?

They are the same height and the hair is the same. Even their names sound somewhat similar.

Hmmmm. I could see him being a long lost father, grandfather or uncle.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Wow, they do! Wait, where'd you get that color photo from?