Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 2)

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:51 pmSpeaking of mistranslation, in the first episode, did those kids actually call JJ "cringe"? Or is that another liberty taken by the fansubs?
The fuck? No. They tease Yun and JJ there, saying something that’s more akin to “Jet Jaguar is a loser”. For the record I haven’t seen the fan subs. I’m not going to question someone’s ability to understand Japanese. However, it seems like whoever is doing it, is taking some fun liberties with interpreting and giving the kids/characters, *ahem* more colorful dialogue.

Thinking about it more, it’s not a mistranslation. When you translate something there’s a lot of variables and meanings inherently change/lose and gain meaning. I just think it’s a bit excessive given modern contexts, although perhaps kids might say that.
Okay first, your reaction made my day.

Second, it seems these fansubs are taking liberties, that's apparent. What I'm curious about now, is if the changes are so drastic that it's altering my experience with the show plotwise without me knowing it. So far I'm really enjoying it, and I have no legal way to see it even when it does come to Netflix. I have no better way to explain it, but will my experience with these characters stray too far away with what the creators intended because of the fansubs? An irrational worry but something that comes to mind whenever I have to deal with fansubs.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:47 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:51 pmSpeaking of mistranslation, in the first episode, did those kids actually call JJ "cringe"? Or is that another liberty taken by the fansubs?
The skreeonk? No. They tease Yun and JJ there, saying something that’s more akin to “Jet Jaguar is a loser”. For the record I haven’t seen the fan subs. I’m not going to question someone’s ability to understand Japanese. However, it seems like whoever is doing it, is taking some fun liberties with interpreting and giving the kids/characters, *ahem* more colorful dialogue.

Thinking about it more, it’s not a mistranslation. When you translate something there’s a lot of variables and meanings inherently change/lose and gain meaning. I just think it’s a bit excessive given modern contexts, although perhaps kids might say that.

Second, it seems these fansubs are taking liberties, that's apparent. What I'm curious about now, is if the changes are so drastic that it's altering my experience with the show plotwise without me knowing it. So far I'm really enjoying it, and I have no legal way to see it even when it does come to Netflix. I have no better way to explain it, but will my experience with these characters stray too far away with what the creators intended because of the fansubs? An irrational worry but something that comes to mind whenever I have to deal with fansubs.
I mean "intent" is hard. You can have the intent of the original creators in Japanese, in a Japanese context. Then you'll have these fansubs, that have their own intent. And then Netflix, both the dub and sub which also have their own intent. Maybe just appreciate everything! Perhaps enjoy and appreciate the fansubs as their own thing, and give the Netflix a chance. Again, "cringe" isn't "wrong", it just changes things mildly and has a different context than "JJ is stupid".

For all we know the Netflix version may have sillier dialogue :D
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'm really liking Goto Otaki/Pops, he's full of charm and bombastic energy. His fight piloting JJ against the first version of Rodan was a lotta fun, his "Shakespearean" (for the lack of a better term) manner of speaking when confronting Rodan got a chuckle out of me. Seems to be some sort of grandfather figure to Yun.

Eager to see where Jet Jaguar's potential sentience comes into play later down the line.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:57 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:47 pm
The skreeonk? No. They tease Yun and JJ there, saying something that’s more akin to “Jet Jaguar is a loser”. For the record I haven’t seen the fan subs. I’m not going to question someone’s ability to understand Japanese. However, it seems like whoever is doing it, is taking some fun liberties with interpreting and giving the kids/characters, *ahem* more colorful dialogue.

I mean "intent" is hard. You can have the intent of the original creators in Japanese, in a Japanese context. Then you'll have these fansubs, that have their own intent. And then Netflix, both the dub and sub which also have their own intent. Maybe just appreciate everything! Perhaps enjoy and appreciate the fansubs as their own thing, and give the Netflix a chance. Again, "cringe" isn't "wrong", it just changes things mildly and has a different context than "JJ is stupid".

For all we know the Netflix version may have sillier dialogue :D
I'm just glad someone has even taken the time to do this. I imagine its not the easiest thing in the world to do. Happy I can watch it before it gets on Netflix...because I need my Godzilla fix.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:22 am I'm just glad someone has even taken the time to do this. I imagine its not the easiest thing in the world to do. Happy I can watch it before it gets on Netflix...because I need my Godzilla fix.
Yes, definitely, lots of respect goes out to everyone involved in that. What I'll probably do is watch it weekly. Then when the Netflix version comes out (hopefully a dub) I'll spend an afternoon watching it as one

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure episode 3 comes out tonight (well midnight for me). I'm expecting things to pop off, and the ball to really get rolling. I predict:
Spoiler:
This episode will introduce angurius, have the Rodan swarm attack, and then end with Godzilla appearing at the end.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah this might be the last episode I watch spoilers for. Wanna step out before shit hits the fan.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

2 hours till episode 3!
Hi!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Is it out?

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 3)

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Episode 3 here we go. Immediately starts off with a tribute to Rodan 1956 which is kinda cool

Added in 25 minutes 43 seconds:
Titanosaurus for the next episode eh? Interesting. Not what I was expecting, but I'm interested. He didn't look half-bad in the shot of him they show. I wasn't impressed by him in the trailer, but he looks a little different and better (although realistically that's probably just the angle of the shot).
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Episode 3 was good.

Plot was simple: Rodan swarm appears and attacks the nearby city. Ootaki (who has a sweet car btw) Yun and gang try to lure the Rodan away with radio beams. It works, but they're quickly trapped with the passengers of a bus that was attacked. Through some smarts and the help of an AI, they distract the Rodan and get back to luring it away. Meanwhile Mei is on the train, oblivious to everything. Once she is, she tries to get a view of everything. Peo 2 hacks into one of the robot mobile things meant for jet jaguar and follows Yun and gang, before being destroyed by Rodan (Peo 2 survives). They lead the Rodan swarm out of the city, only for them to be dropping out of the sky. A large scale discussion happens showing the aftermath and then discussion, noticing the differences between the Rodan. Mei meets a reporter, who hands her s strange object. The episode ends with a rather confusing scene of Yun and Mei being contacted.

Another unknown entity appears at the end of the episode. This time a sub is suddenly being chased by, Titanosaurus. Interestingly enough, the Godzilla theme plays...

There's also some rather strange Easter eggs, which makes me QUESTION if this takes place in the extended Showa continuity that isn't Godzilla. A girl on the bus has a Baragon phone case. A brief "internet page doesn't work" has a small Showa moguera. At one point, you can see classic maser tank graffiti on a wall.

I liked episode 3 a lot. The Rodan swarm was cool, and we get a lot of classic moments, like people closing shop, and an interesting part where people are looking out from the beach and watching the Rodan swarm move in. While the Rodan are scary (also smaller than the one from the second episode, which was 12 meters, these Rodan are human sized) and vicious, we don't see too much of their destruction. It sets a tone of the series of not wanting to be violent or gory (when it very easily could have been), which is fine. And it used some creativity to mix character development and plots moving forward without doing too much. Next episode is when we'll get the big monster action though. I feel like they're purposely saving the destruction, and we are getting a gradual ramp up.

I'll rewatch the episode in a day or two. There's something I want to re-check, but it's in reference to Pero-2 saying "okaeri" when it enters the robot frame.

Added in 18 minutes 49 seconds:
EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 am
Titanosaurus for the next episode eh? Interesting. Not what I was expecting, but I'm interested. He didn't look half-bad in the shot of him they show. I wasn't impressed by him in the trailer, but he looks a little different and better (although realistically that's probably just the angle of the shot).
I liked how he was swimming, and how the red mist he gave off was kinda like a blood trail. The Godzilla music was a bit weird. I didn't expect him to appear so soon, but I'm glad that we'll finally get some giant monsters. There's been a good escalation of conflict, and I think episode 4 will be an appropriate place to really kick things off.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:51 am Episode 3 was good.

There's also some rather strange Easter eggs, which makes me QUESTION if this takes place in the extended Showa continuity that isn't Godzilla. A girl on the bus has a Baragon phone case. A brief "internet page doesn't work" has a small Showa moguera. At one point, you can see classic maser tank graffiti on a wall.
I noticed the Showa Moguera nod, but I didn't actually spot the other two. Although, something else I picked up on was that when Yun and the other guy were on the bike trying to escape the Rodan the music in that scene seems to be a tribute to probably the most memorable motif from Return of Ultraman's score.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:56 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:51 am Episode 3 was good.

I noticed the Showa Moguera nod, but I didn't actually spot the other two. Although, something else I picked up on was that when Yun and the other guy were on the bike trying to escape the Rodan the music in that scene seems to be a tribute to probably the most memorable motif from Return of Ultraman's score.
I heard Ultraman theme as well and noticed it instantly, but I don't think it's a specific reference to something specific. I need to rewatch it, but I think Ootaki calls Yun "Kamen Rider" when he puts on the helmet as well. The series is a bit strange, because it seems like a lot of things have fictionally happened, but it's as though in this continuity Godzilla or some big disaster hasn't happened. Also strange because it's sort of what Mei was researching. It might be revealed what's going on over time. Oh well, it's fascinating.

I wish there was just more a bit more of the Rodan swarm attacking the city, but I thought all the stuff with them and the gang was really tense. Ootaki is awesome. I have a feeling a lot of these characters will soon be fan favorites.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Well, maybe Titanosaurus is actually Godzilla after all...
Hi!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gotschiller wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 am Well, maybe Titanosaurus is actually Godzilla after all...
All of the monsters thus far have some connection to Godzilla. What's weird though is we see Manda briefly attack Godzilla in the trailer.

Also, I'm looking over the social media part of the episode, the Twitter reactions shown in universe. There's a reference to the War in space, and a bunch of speculation of Rodan being an alien, but it's just in universe speculation. I also noticed that the Rodans did a lot more damage than I thought with them destroying the roofs of many houses which were covered in tarp.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:51 am This time, a sub is suddenly being chased by Titanosaurus. Interestingly enough, the Godzilla theme plays...
Okay, it's confirmed. Titanosaurus is going to evolve into Godzilla!

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

So, no Godzilla yet, huh?
I still haven't seen a single episode of this show, but I'm not looking forward to seeing Godzilla himself atm, I feel like he'll be yet another Shin copy. Toho love their mindless destroyer Godzillas... but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if he is like that, just a little bit of a let down.

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 am So, no Godzilla yet, huh?
I still haven't seen a single episode of this show, but I'm not looking forward to seeing Godzilla himself atm, I feel like he'll be yet another Shin copy. Toho love their mindless destroyer Godzillas... but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if he is like that, just a little bit of a let down.
I remember reading an interview of Toh Enjoe, who wrote the scripts of the series, did stated that Toho wanted Godzilla to appear as soon as possible.However, Enjoe did not want Godzilla fully reveal himself in such an early stage.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:51 am This time, a sub is suddenly being chased by Titanosaurus. Interestingly enough, the Godzilla theme plays...
I mean it’s just a musical track, and there’s still the skeleton. I’m also wondering if Titanosaurus combines with another monster (not Manda) to form it, or if this monster, the aquatic one, forms with another titanosaurus to form a more upright one.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 am
I mean it’s just a musical track, and there’s still the skeleton. I’m also wondering if Titanosaurus combines with another monster (not Manda) to form it, or if this monster, the aquatic one, forms with another titanosaurus to form a more upright one.
He has the same underbite, too.